• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New comp, about to buy, but did i leave something out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well the high end fortron's, like the 530w and the 500w Blue storm, i can personaly atest to that they are of some of the highest caliber, and i honestly dont get that much more out of a PCP&C anyways, yes its more solid, but going from a solid PSU (the blue storm) to a an even more solid one, is kinda pointless imo, yes i would like one, but theres not a chance in hell i could afford one

on the fact about the 6800gt, if you where to play with one, you will understand why they are so damn nice, lol

wich creative card would you reccomend, i basicly just need 5.1 support, good output sound, and good inputs, for audio recording, just mild stuff, like cassetes and stuff, thats it

also i have been looking around and i found the 6800gt for only 400 at www.gameve.com ,but i am not sure if they are very good, the pricewatch rating says they are good, and i have seen many ppl here order from them with good results, but not sure there.

i am going to hold out another week maybe so i can have some more money to order stuff, wich will be much wiser imo, so i can afford the PSU

btw i am realy happy, OCZ released a value series of their realy nice VX series, so i might wait and see how good they perform before i decide to buy,

You can personally atest to the high end fortrons being good PSU's? Have you owned and played with one though? I know my FSP400 is $60 on newegg, so an FSP530 Blue Storm must be quite a bit more. I got my PCP&C for $100 shipped, and that wasn't because I knew the person and got a good deal. It was used however.

I've never owned a 6800. I have owned pretty much every card since the TNT2 to the 9800 though(exageration). All that I see is them being able to run things on a little more detail, and sometimes the IQ is better. Going from a TI4400 to the 9800 was pretty disapointing for me. I had to overclock it to see a performance increase in Dx8, and it was only better in DX9 at really high detail, which requires an overall good system. I'm not even sure if I can tell the difference between No AA and 8x. And since there has been a pattern for years and years I doubt the 6800 is anything more than just more speed and maybe a little better IQ. So my personal opinion is that I can spend $400 in better ways. Atleast a CPU helps me surf the web, and that helps to educate, video cards don't usually help educate, they are fun to play with though.

I'd go with the Audigy 2 ZS. I've been talking to people and it sounds like I should get that over the M-Audio Revolution. The sound quality might not be as good, but you'd never tell with the computer speakers we have, and if we ever did get some HT speakers, then it'd be worth upgrading them. I wouldn't mind having an A2 ZS myself.

By the way, you can probably easily afford the 6800 once you sell that TUSL and 512mb PC133, those two go for RIDICULUS amounts on ebay.

well i would rather keep this current comp for my little bro, but i know what you mean they go for stupidly insane amounts, lol

the 6800 literly kills the 9800pro in almost every bench i have seen, the only game that the 9800pro can somewhat keep up with it in, is HL2, but that is just due to HL2 is more in favor of the ATI drivers.

the Blue storm is only about 90 on newegg, so i am pretty sure its a pretty good deal.

but you do bring up good points about a system though, but mostly this comp will be for gaming and internet stuff. not much else, that is why i am not worried about getting anything for pic editing or video editing, i simply wont need those utilities, maybe in the future, but thats then

Back