• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 Stick vs. 2 Sticks (non-DC)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

Whats the performance hit for say: 1 stick of 1GB RAM VS. 2 Sticks of 512mb Ram=1GB but NOT in dual channel (since there is none for s754)? Just wondering for future RAM buying, thanks guys

I would go with 1GB in this case since s754 doesn't support Dual-Channel. Their will be no performance loss or gain. Only problem is if you get 2X 512, and one stick goes bad you could always replace the other for much cheaper. If you get 1GB stick, you would have to replace the whole stick which cost much more.

id say get the 2 x 512 mb , jus because if you held onto them you could be dual channel for a new setup , jus my .02c

IrishAssassin said:
I would go with 1GB in this case since s754 doesn't support Dual-Channel. Their will be no performance loss or gain. Only problem is if you get 2X 512, and one stick goes bad you could always replace the other for much cheaper. If you get 1GB stick, you would have to replace the whole stick which cost much more.

hmm...since theirs no performace gain or less...i think ill just get 2 sticks since i was eyeing the OCZ VX...and i dont think they come in 1GB sticks. so yeah

depends on what your looking for if your pimping a budget go with a 1gig stick as later on you could simply add another 1gig stick to extend the rig's life.....but if you've got the $$ a 2x512 kit is where to go with the sort of clocks you can hit such high fsb's that just arent known in the gig stick world

awesome! i always thought 2 sticks ran slower than 1 stick. Is this only w/ non-dual channel? Anyway awesome! I think ill be buying the OCZ Value VX 512x2 once i get a new mobo (DFI nF3) and some better cooling.

jcw122 said:
awesome! i always thought 2 sticks ran slower than 1 stick. Is this only w/ non-dual channel? Anyway awesome! I think ill be buying the OCZ Value VX 512x2 once i get a new mobo (DFI nF3) and some better cooling.

i believe this is only theoretically, 1 stick of 512 may run faster than 2 sticks of 512 but that could be because that one stick has the ability to oc farther than the other stick.... when it comes to the a64s on skt 754 and also 939 winchesters and newcastles don't tend to play as well past 2 sticks because the on die memory controller just can't handle it, supposedly with venice this problem will become of the past.

the difference between 2x512 is a different scenario because 1gig sticks just can't hit the sort of clocks 512mb sticks can (can't tell you why myself) and the 1gig sticks that definately hit decent speeds are in the 250$ range for ddr500 speeds....

Back