• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin LII V2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

genjaguar

Well I have the new Mushkin LII V2 which are on BP PCBs. I run memtest at 250mhz 2.5-3-3-7 at 2.5vdimm and my cpu at 10x at 1.55vcore(it needs 1.6vcore to be super pi stable at that speed) and it passed for 19 hours without a single error. It gives me errors in windows however. So I tried upping the vdimm but anything over 2.55 will restart the computer as soon as it reaches the desktop. What could be the problem?

Also I tried running at 278mhz at all kinds of timings. I tried 2.5-4-3-7,2.5-4-4-7,3-3-3-10,3-4-3-10,3-4-4-10 and they all give me tens of thousands of errors. My cpu multi is a 9x for 2502 mhz and LDT multi is at 3x. I tried all sorts of vdimms as well up to 2.8v. Could 28mhz be so hard that even such relaxed timings can't pass?

Well, the 278mhz errors sound like a memory controller issue. I have seen CPU's that can do that, but not all are stable at that. You could try 2t, but that will sort of cancel out any performance gain you may have gotten.

As far as the computer restarting when you use more vdimm, that is very strange. Those sticks are rated at 2.6v I thought. Have you tried memtest with 2.6-2.7v?

-Collin-

Nope. I tried at the lowest voltage first and since they didn't get any errors I didn't test them at a higher voltage.

i was having problems OCing with my msi neo2 and l2v2s, couldn't get pass 240mhz stable in windows

My MB doesn't have any of those advanced timings so I have to use A64 tweaker so I can't use memtest to test it.
Also is there any way to make sure it's a bad memory controller?

my set takes 2.75v to do 240 2.5-3-3-7. i haven't tested them to see how high they go.

I received a set of these sticks today. I am currently testing them at 250 Mhz @ 2.5-3-3-5 with 2.65V. Looping test 5 there are no errors through 15 passes.

genjaguar said:
My MB doesn't have any of those advanced timings so I have to use A64 tweaker so I can't use memtest to test it.
Also is there any way to make sure it's a bad memory controller?
not really, unless you have another set of ram that will go higher with that cpu, i doubt its the memory controller, like i posted before, for some reason the l2v2 didn't do too well on my msi neo2 so i returned them and got pdp tccd and hit 275+ right away, if you got them from mushkin they have a satisfaction guarantee so you could return them within the grace period and get a full refund and get known sticks that OC well with your setup

Okay I'm instantly feeling worse about my decision. I ordered the same sticks from NewEgg mainly because the Mushkin web site said they made spec fron 2.5 to 2.8Vdimm and because of their reputation. They were the BP boards and TCCD chips. Much to my amazement, right out of the package, neither singly nor together would they even post on my Neo2 Platinum at their default timings, 200 Mhz (1:1) and 2.68Vdimm which is all that board delivers with Trcd set to 2. Not even post!

With the timings set to 2.5-3-3-7, they run 250 Mhz rock solid, no doubt thanks to the bios allowing the Vdimm to go up to 2.82V when Trcd is set to 3.

I didn't think my CPU/Motherboard combo was at fault since my Buffalo BH5s ran 200 Mhz 2-2-2-6 @ 2.68Vdimm 24/7 rock solid.

I only had them since last Wednsday, so I could have sent them back to NewEgg for a refund, exchange them for OCZs, or RMA them to Mushkin. I made the mistake of calling Mushkin. They were so appologetic and wanted to make things right, that I sent them off to Denver this afternoon. I would have ordered the OCZ, but their web page said their sticks needed 2.75Vdimm to make spec. Now I read people get spec at 2.6Vdimm! :bang head

I sure hope they find me a pair that actually meet spec. and not after three or four round trips.

Hoot :rolleyes:

Update:

8 days since I shipped them to Mushkin. No receipt confirmation email, no new ones in the mail, no communication from Mushkin. I did email them yesterday inquiring about the status and passing along some additional information for the Tech who winds up troubleshooting my problem. Waiting to see that Famous Mushkin Customer Support materialize...

Hoot

Thanks Tom;

Fate, being the trickster she is, I just got an Email from Krista acknowledging that they got them and are processing them.

RMA# CAS70087

I hope they technician assigned to the case reads the letter I sent along with the sticks, that goes into detail about the exact problem I was experiencing. Also I hope that Krista passed along the additional observations I emailed to her, to the technician assigned the case. Perhaps I'm naive about how much time Mushkin can afford to dedicate to each RMA. My greatest concern is that they simply send me another set without verifying that they indeed run spec in the Neo2 Platinum. I have to say that I was surprised that the two technicians I spoke with last week were unaware of the MSI Neo2 Platinum bios bug that limits the dimm voltage to 2.70 when Trcd is set to 2 (AKA SPD 2-2-2-5). Needless to say, I'll report in when I get the new sticks.

Hoot

Hoot--

great. our policy is to test every RMA that comes in, whether the customers says they are bad or not.

right now, we are slow to answering emails cuz there is only 1 person doing it. the rest of the guys are helping with the testing of the redline parts. we have sold more than we anticipated.

Duonger

Yeah I had the same problem when I wanted to run 2-2-2-6 at 200mhz. To solve it I set trcd to auto instead of 2. This lets you set any vdram you want and trcd will auto detect to 2.

But these sticks have been pretty good I guess. I was able to run 265 at 2.5-4-3-7 in aquamark although it won't do it stable for everything else.

genjaguar said:
Yeah I had the same problem when I wanted to run 2-2-2-6 at 200mhz. To solve it I set trcd to auto instead of 2. This lets you set any vdram you want and trcd will auto detect to 2.

But these sticks have been pretty good I guess. I was able to run 265 at 2.5-4-3-7 in aquamark although it won't do it stable for everything else.

How I wish that was correct, but it is not. Sure, the BIOS will let you select 2.75, 2.80 and 2.85, but once you save the settings and the rig reruns POST, it goes back to 2.70. I'm sitting here as I write this with a Fluke Digital MultiMeter on the slots and trust me, setting all memory parameters to auto, which in the case of these L2V2s the SPD sets Trcd to 2, as soon as you exit the BIOS routine and POST starts, it only delivers 2.70 at the slots. If you open the BIOS, you'll see your selection, whether 2.75, 2.80, or 2.85 is still there, it simply gets ignored when Trcd is 2, regardless of whether you obtained that manually or automatically.

It's ludicrous. we're talking one line of code in the BIOS. How hard would it be for MSI to correct it? Especially since they have the source code. MSI is aware of this issue and for whatever reason, chooses not to fix it. Think about it. The only way to get away from the problem is to buy a newer MSI motherboard. Can you smell that smell?

Hoot

Hmm well I ran it at 200mhz at 2.7vdram fine then.

I still sometimes get errors in programs at 240mhz 2.5-4-3-7. It passes memtest at 2.5-3-3-7 up to 250 but won't be windows stable. So I just run it at 240mhz for normal use. That's not too bad I guess.

Also if you want 2 trcd the other way is to set it to 3 and boot and use a64 tweaker to change it to 2 in windows.

Well, the new L2V2s arrived Monday afternoon. Actually they arrived Friday afternoon, but Mushkin, bless their hearts, sent them overnight express, which was a waste of money since my wife and I are working stiffs and Mushkin sent them signature required. :shrug: So they sat at the Fedex depot and luckily, the deliverer came just after I got home Monday, or they would have gone back to the depot again. Even though I have a signature card on file with Fedex, the box was sent with a sticker saying that a signature on file was not acceptable.

So, how do the new ones do? In a word, Great!

Not only do they run 2-2-2-6-1T at 200 Mhz @ 2.68V, they also run those timings at 210 Mhz. Like the original pair, they run 2.5-3-3-7-1T at 250 Mhz and 2-3-3-6-1T with a little more voltage.

Not that it's any of my business, but as an Engineering Technician, it would have been enlightening to learn what they found with the old pair, when used in a Neo2 Platinum at the factory.

FWIW, with my setup and acknowledging the fact that the Neo2 Platinum has issues with the San Diego core (hopefully to be resolved soon), these L2V2s outperform my pair of OCZ EL Platinums, which fail initializing Windows XP at 2-3-3-6-2T, regardless of voltage.

Never the less, I'm pleased with the responsiveness of Mushkins support and would buy from them again. These L2V2s don't give up anything to the OCZ equivalents, again I stress, on my known to have issues, current setup.

Hoot

Hoot said:
Well, the new L2V2s arrived Monday afternoon. Actually they arrived Friday afternoon, but Mushkin, bless their hearts, sent them overnight express, which was a waste of money since my wife and I are working stiffs and Mushkin sent them signature required. :shrug: So they sat at the Fedex depot and luckily, the deliverer came just after I got home Monday, or they would have gone back to the depot again. Even though I have a signature card on file with Fedex, the box was sent with a sticker saying that a signature on file was not acceptable.

So, how do the new ones do? In a word, Great!

Not only do they run 2-2-2-6-1T at 200 Mhz @ 2.68V, they also run those timings at 210 Mhz. Like the original pair, they run 2.5-3-3-7-1T at 250 Mhz and 2-3-3-6-1T with a little more voltage.

Not that it's any of my business, but as an Engineering Technician, it would have been enlightening to learn what they found with the old pair, when used in a Neo2 Platinum at the factory.

FWIW, with my setup and acknowledging the fact that the Neo2 Platinum has issues with the San Diego core (hopefully to be resolved soon), these L2V2s outperform my pair of OCZ EL Platinums, which fail initializing Windows XP at 2-3-3-6-2T, regardless of voltage.

Never the less, I'm pleased with the responsiveness of Mushkins support and would buy from them again. These L2V2s don't give up anything to the OCZ equivalents, again I stress, on my known to have issues, current setup.

Hoot

That is great to hear. I've always been overly pleased with Mushkin's support. I have the exact same memory as you sitting here on my desk while I await my motherboard arrival. 2-3-3-6 at 250 is awesome. I have never owned TCCD that could run that. Impressive to say the least.

If I might ask...are yours on the BP B6U815 pcb or just the Mushkin Enhanced pcb?

-Collin-

NinjaZX6R said:
That is great to hear. I've always been overly pleased with Mushkin's support. I have the exact same memory as you sitting here on my desk while I await my motherboard arrival. 2-3-3-6 at 250 is awesome. I have never owned TCCD that could run that. Impressive to say the least.

If I might ask...are yours on the BP B6U815 pcb or just the Mushkin Enhanced pcb?

-Collin-

They're the BP B6U815 pcb. I gotta say this. Hopefully, if you got yours from NewEgg around the same time I got mine, they're not from the same lot number. My assumption and I stress assumption, since I did not get any explanitory note, would be that more from the lot mine came from are going to have issues like I ran into with mine. That's usually how mass-production works.

Perhaps luck will smile upon you and you won't have any issues with yours. FWIW, it took 2.95V to get 2-3-3-6-1T at 250 Mhz stable on my board. That's outside the warranted/recommended voltage range for those sticks, but not much so. Check them at stock speeds and voltage ranges first, needless to say.

Hoot

Back