• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this good Idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meionm

Right now I have 2 nexus fans (i didn't run water cooling yet just checking how loud are they on the heater core) I was thinking on getting another 2 fans and putting them on the other side of the heater core. At full speed fan does 36 CFM and about 22db. Which Is really quiet. So my question is this would it be better to have 4 fans on heater core each doing 36cfm on both sides OR 2 fans each doing 70cfm on one side

4x 36cfm Vs 2x 70cfm

Last edited:
This is one where you should probably do some experimentation, but here are a couple things to consider:

First, stacking fans will not double airflow, a 36CFM fan is just that. Stack 10 of them and you've still got 36CFM. However, when you stack fans you do increase pressure.

Second, Nexus fans are designed to be quiet case fans, they aren't designed to blow air through a radiator. As a result, when they're hooked up to a radiator they may not be powerful enough to actually blow air through it in sufficient quantities to adequately cool your system. So, having them stacked may provide a real benefit because by increasing the pressure you may get reasonable airflow.

Third, when you stack fans you greatly increase turbulence. So stacking them isn't (or shouldn't be) just a matter of bolting them together. I'd advise doing some research on this so that you can minimize the turbulence and actually get the air to go where you need it.

Lastly, push/pull is generally much easier to do than is push/push, but with the Nexus fans you may actually need the push/push configuration. I'd try the push/pull first just because it's easier and see what kind of temps you get. If you're satisfied, you're done. But, if you're not, then either consider different fans or researching how to use them properly in a push/push configuration.

Oh, one more thing, the amount of air pressure you'll need depends in large part on the radiator you're using. The thicker the radiator, the more air pressure you'll need to get air through it. So, using a radiator like a BIP would require much less air pressure than would a BIX. If you're going for near silent operation, look into getting a open single-pass radiator. The Nexus fans would actually work pretty well on one of those, though I doubt it would help much if you're trying for monster overclocks.

stacking fans only increases pressure if the fans are counter-rotating and the SAME model. Stacking similar-rotation fans will more likely than not reduce pressure.

I don't have the chart but push-pull is only good for about .5-1c drop in temps.

Back