• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual 775's? is that even possible

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
None exist for the same reason no socket 478 duals exist, Intel has limited firms to make Xeons (s604) as duals. Probably partly due to there being almost no difference in the cpus so a cheap dual using soho cpus could make their layered price-system collapse. It's the same with AMD and A64/Opteron.

hmmm... so why cant gigabyte or someone else just make a duali board?

because the chips have to physically support SMP, and they don't. Think about it dualie Xeons have 604 pins where there p4 478 counterparts only have 478. Those extra pins are what support the smp

But what about Socket A Duallies? THey have the same number of pins, and can be modded to support SMP...

Elif Tymes said:
But what about Socket A Duallies? THey have the same number of pins, and can be modded to support SMP...

I would assume the L5 mod enables the SMP support, and the pins used for SMP arent enabled unless the L5 mod is done?

Other possibilities are that the extra pins are extra power/data/ground lines for stability purposes? Or Intel added the extras in case they needed them later.

There is a far as I know no differences in the core (apart from the Xeons with more cache) so I guess the extra pins is for som ecc/ground purposes like David suggested.

And part of the reason Gigabyte or other firms don't make cheap dual mobos is both due to the chipset needing to support it (I875 does though, there is no difference between the chipset of Asus P4C800 and Asus NCCH for example) but more that Intel has told the firms not to. And the firms don't want to risk Intel not allowing them to make stuff for their cpus in the future.

I'd be willing to wager that the extra pins on a Xeon probably don't do very much (maybe some of them do). I'm sure somebody can dig out a PDF that says I'm wrong, but that's fine by me. Intel and AMD currently disable SMP functionality inside the core. It won't be enabled because they don't want it to be. There is no difference in functionality between the s939 A64 and the s940 Opteron or the Pentium4 and Xeon. There's a difference in price, though, and that's why they've locked out SMP. Imagine how much money they'd make if their consumer processors worked in SMP. Intel sells millions of Xeons, don't they? At about twice the price of a Pentium 4, that's a lot of butter on the bread.

Z

zachj said:
Imagine how much money they'd make if their consumer processors worked in SMP. Intel sells millions of Xeons, don't they? At about twice the price of a Pentium 4, that's a lot of butter on the bread.

Z

I think AMD realised that with the Athlon MP afterwards, thus the change to different sockets for mainstream and server/workstation market. XP's were way to easy to mod to MP's, and thats potential revenue lost for AMD.

Back