• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer locking up, no idea where to start

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DrkLrdsSlv

Alright, I just installed my new soundcard, the Chaintech AV-710, to replace my onboard. Now, my computer will lock up about every 10 minutes. There's no error message or anything, the only thing I can do is a hard reset. Anyone know what could be the problem?

Thanks
DrkLrdsSlv

Bad drivers, conflicting IRQ (my guess), or bad power supply.

I'd go into the BIOS and disable anything that you are not using. Turn off LPT, serial, onboard sound, etc. Move the sound card to another PCI slot.

i would suggest following one of the "help my computer won't boot" faq stickies. could give you a good idea of troubleshooting possibilities.

don256us said:
Bad drivers, conflicting IRQ (my guess), or bad power supply.

Sounds like it to me, too. Another thing, you should check the device manager, and see if you've got any yellow ! points...

Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager

Let us know how it turns out..

He plugs in new soundcard, blammo problems. Either the soundcard is bad or more likely you need to go into the BIOS and disable the onboard sound. Then if there are still issues go into the device manager and check stuff out. If all else fails, pull the card, re-enable the onboard and if it doesn't lock up you have your culprit.

I've disabled the "AC97 Audio" selection in the BIOS. I've also checked the device manager for conflicts, but there are none. I'm gonna try some older drivers.

EDIT: Older drivers didn't work.

Last edited:
Back