• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is OCZ Value VX still UTT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDizzle

I was going to give my Venice 3000+ and Patriot TCCD to a friend and in exchange he's going to give me his 3200+ (from AMD Tech Tour June 23) and order me OCZ Value VX. I was browing through newegg and I can't seem to find Value VX anymore. All I can find is this , simply labled " OCZ Value Series ". I just wanted to know if you that stuff is UTT based or if they changed to something else. What other cheap/good UTT ram could I get around the same price? Does it seem like a good trade off to you guys?

From the looks of the reviews, it is, but I'm not very sure. BTW dont forget u'll need to be able to supply alot of voltage for that stuff.

Last week when I was browing newegg I noticed it was name "OCZ Value VX" so I bookmarked it. Today when I referred back to the bookmarked page it's simply called "OCA Value Series". This leads me to believe that they've changed their chips very recently.

You might want to run that question by SteveOCZ. I also gave you some info on UTT over at XS for the same thread. ;)

twinmos makes cheap value utt. im not sure on which model it is, alot of people here do, can someone please post on this as i am looking for some as well.

EvlUndrwareNome said:
twinmos makes cheap value utt. im not sure on which model it is, alot of people here do, can someone please post on this as i am looking for some as well.

I posted this for JDizzle elsewhere but since you ask I'll hook you up. The TwinMOS Speed Premiums use BH-die UTT chips. There are still some CH-die UTT TMSP chips flooting around but for the most part TwinMOS is using the newer stuff.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820218405

If you want to learn a little more about the newer version TwinMOS Speed Premiums, go here.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=390640

The value VX has always been with 2.5-4-4- timings at at 2.6V. The chips on them have and always will be UTT. Primarily we use CH-UTT on them, but depending on yeilds and chip availability you may also get bh-utt on them

SteveOCZ said:
The value VX has always been with 2.5-4-4- timings at at 2.6V. The chips on them have and always will be UTT. Primarily we use CH-UTT on them, but depending on yeilds and chip availability you may also get bh-utt on them

not always from my understanding.
also they were listed at 2.5-3-3-8 on the site when i bought mine as well as the spd being set at that.
i dont think its a big deal anyhow just odd.
also was my understanding these were bh not ch? same dies as the VX line.

ok with all this info is there any way of telling the bh from the ch?
or do old rules apply to identifing these ic's?

I think the only way to know the difference between bh and ch is that the CH needs more voltage to run 2-2-2 timings at 200FSB. The value winbond has always been UTT of some kind, but at first the SPD and listed timings were shown incorrectly for some reason or another. I'm not sure, but I think the shot they put on the site was an older one so it showed the 2.5-3-3 timings?

For the most part I'd say CH-die are used on these value. Mine are CH and they need 3.2v to run 2-2-2-x. You'll know if you have BH-die because you'll be able to run 2-2-2-x with under 3v.

SteveOCZ said:

The users at xtremesystems are reporting UTT-BH on the Value VX now.

SteveOCZ said:
I think the only way to know the difference between bh and ch is that the CH needs more voltage to run 2-2-2 timings at 200FSB. The value winbond has always been UTT of some kind, but at first the SPD and listed timings were shown incorrectly for some reason or another. I'm not sure, but I think the shot they put on the site was an older one so it showed the 2.5-3-3 timings?
the timings in general were only questioned by me to see if they had anything to do with what ic was being used.
seems it has no bearing on them.
listed timings also didnt mean much as we all know they should do better but at least hold ocz to a certain standard of operation/quality control.

my sticks are 2 months old mabey and do cas 2.0-2-2-4 at 2.6v so im rather sure they are bh-5

my sticks also have the 2.5-3-3-7 stickers also on them.

I got a heads up from one of the guys at the office. We only used CH UTT for the first run…about a week or so. Everything since then has been BH UTT.

So that's the official deal...done and sealed :)

SteveOCZ said:
I got a heads up from one of the guys at the office. We only used CH UTT for the first run…about a week or so. Everything since then has been BH UTT.

So that's the official deal...done and sealed :)

Yea thats what i heard and i'm glad because UTT CH is pretty much crap IMO. It seems like there is just way too much of it dieing even at voltages that aren't that extreme and i dont know if its the smaller die size of the UTT CH or the 5V jumper on the DFI NF4 boards but personally i'll stick with UTT BH because i think its way better.

Back