• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Res with Multiple Inlet\Outlets?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mgoode

I have a resivor which has multiple inlets and oulets. My current setup includes a CPU and Gpu and was thinking about getting a NB block(please,there is another thread on the usefulness of nb blocks). Would the following setup make any sense? see attachment

i would use my secondary inlet\outlet on the res to cool the NB. would this just mess up my flow? the NB water would not be going through the rad but once the loop reaches equalibriam would it matter? Please excuse the scale it a viso diagram I did in about 3 minutes. Also what would you use extra outlets\inlets for?

Last edited:
If you just ran tubing from the res to the NB block and then back to the res, there wouldn't be anything causing water to flow through the tubing--the water would just sit there. Remember, the path of least resistance at the res is going to be the suction from the pump inlet. If you want to add the NB block, just put it in the regular loop. I really don't think it'll help, but it shouldn't do any serious harm either....

Thanks for the 411!. why do they make a res with multiple ins and outs? is there a practical reason for this?

I can see that working
your need to pump to the north bridge
aslo it best to got from the pump the the rad so the water is cooled before going to the blocks
like flow1,JPG

or chain them
flowchain.JPG

Attachments

• flow1.JPG
    flow1.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 39
  • flowchain.JPG
    flowchain.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 33
wow, that three way split is interesting. will order really make a difference? once your loop has reached equalibrium wont the temp be constant throughout the loop?

here's what im doing in my system
it was in my AMD Barton apart from the large Res :)
Iv never found cooling the north bridge adds anything\

The CPU block is a danger den maze 3 with a modded top for a 64bit CPU
the Graphics block is a danger den older Grforce4 modded to fit a FX5900
and the pump is a EHEIM 1048
and the 3 liter Res is a bulk cable tie package

plan.JPG

Borgy

Last edited:
mgoode said:
wow, that three way split is interesting. will order really make a difference? once your loop has reached equalibrium wont the temp be constant throughout the loop?
right, the temp won't vary more than like .5C - 1C throughout the loop. so the order doesn't make a big difference in temps.. better to route it however tubing is easiest

edit: just looked at the pics posted above by Borgy.. that 3 way split would probably hurt your flow rates a lot, as well as being a tubing nightmare

Last edited:
This set up in Parallel with a 1 litre Res i was getting 5'c - 6'c above room temp ide and +10'c - 11'c under load
both with mbm5 and a X-Pider LCD (3 temps diods)
If i set it up in a chain the diffence almost double on the last chip
E.g room temp 19'c (im in the basement) water temp 20'c after the Rad
RES > PUMP > RAD 20'c > GPU 24'c > CPU 40'c > RES

I have found the more water in the system the cooler
more watts needed to heat it i guess
so thats why im going for the large 3 litre RES

I have used a 5 gallon bucket and the temps where fantasic
but just not easy for LANing LOL

system was a
AMD Barton 2500 (not overclocked)
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
ASUS V8420 Deluxe Ti4200
768mb 3x256mb running dual PC3200
WD 160g hhd
LG DVD burnner and DVD,52x comb drives
same blocks as above and push pull 120mm fans on the RAD @7volts

just had enough of fans LOL 2x80mm, hsk fan, 120mm PSU fan
and the fan on VIVA heatpipe,very quite might even keep that and put the block on the north bridge but cant see the the point
i no longer overclock theres no need any more seeing the system plays all games with out a problem

now the new set up

AMD 64bit 3200+ 754 pin
Asus K8V Deluxe
Nvidia FX5900 with CoolerMaster Cool VIVA heatpipe
768mb 3x256mb running dual PC3200
WD 40g master WD 80g slave
LG DVD burnner and DVD,52x comb drives

Borgy

Last edited:
xcuriousgeorge said:
edit: just looked at the pics posted above by Borgy.. that 3 way split would probably hurt your flow rates a lot, as well as being a tubing nightmare
Iv tried 1/2 pipe and a 350 GPH pump
But a lower GPH pump and 3/8 pipe works better
a low flow rate helps, time for the water to cool the GPU and to cool down in the RAD
seems like the US use big everything bigger isnt better :)

just look at most good kits in Europe

lol a 5 gallon bucket reservoir, that's awesome. just gotta find a case big enough to fit it ;)

Borgy said:
a low flow rate helps, time for the water to cool the GPU and to cool down in the RAD
i know there's been a lot of debate about whether this is true.. i would have thought so before, but after learning some thermodynamics, i have to say i disagree. there is a good sticky about the topic here. but it's entirely possible that by changing your setup, you influenced some other factors other than just flow rate, that improved your results. anyways, just my opinion, i don't want to start a debate here in mgoode's thread.

either way, if you were able to get better results, by all means go with it :)

i am really debating the whole cool the NB thing, i want to cool with the least amount of tubing , but then 45mm nb fan is the loudest thing in my pc. so a nb waterblock would eliminate that would eliminate that. maybe i'll email typhoon and ask them why they put multi ports on thier res.

Borgy, so you basically have a y from your rad to gpu and cpu blocks?

Last edited:
The multiple ports on the res make it possible to use one reservoir with dual loop systems where you'd have two pumps, two sets of blocks, possibly two radiators, but sharing the same water supply. You could also use dual inlets on the res to avoid using a Y if the last block in your system was one like the Danger Den RBX that has two outlets. The multiple ports just provide more options in how the res can be used.

Here are pics of a system with two loops and one water supply: http://www.k8we.com/?q=gallery&g2_view=core:ShowItem&g2_itemId=563

mgoode said:
Thanks for the 411!. why do they make a res with multiple ins and outs? is there a practical reason for this?

i had 2 inlets and 2 outlets on the resivoir i had before, i used this to my advantage because then i could put the barbs where i needed them so it would kinda channel the wires behind the resivoir, so i think its for installations.....? maybe...... so that way the barbs wont conflict with as many setups possibly>?

Back