• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hello Again! - Upgrading my old worn out CHVZ with a new Sabertooth 990FX R3.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have need of the high speed as I have a number of USB 3.0 hard disks I use quite a bit as well as my card readers which I use almost everyday transferring 4K footage. I was thing about keeping the mb and buying a 3.1 PCIe USB card, which might have to happen if this new batch of motherboards are still bad.

-Rodger

It's too bad these boards are so messed up. I recall a couple of years ago maybe ASUS "tried" to launch the R 3.0 and they were all pulled because of issues

I agree. Lack of quality control along each step of the manufacturing process can lead to bad things happening. But in the case of this "TUF military-standard" you gotta wonder what that's suppose to mean I guess.

As mentioned a few posts back, I needed to send back the Sabertooth MB. I didn't want to let this computer set all broke, so I was going to buy a cheap MB to run while waiting to see if the will be any more Sabertooths released with fixed USB 3.0/3.1 hardware. Looked but really not impressed at all with what I found. I was really wishing my CHVFZ was usable and decided to look at it more closely to just see what I could see. That motherboard did have a waterblock on it, which I have put away, so I just put my magnifiers on and started looking really close as the problems I were having were soft of "on again, off again" with no real reason for this other then flaky components being most probable. I used the heatsink pads that came with waterblock for mounting and I could see bits of that and some bits of TIM around some of the mosfet/VRM's and I just started to wonder what would happen if I cleaned this MB up and installed the stock heat spreaders back and try it out again. Well, I did and I'm using it right now. Been a couple of days and I played with OC'ing a bit and it seems fine to me. Still using the single 120 push/pull rad, so can't go too far, but it's nice and stable @ 4.65GHz with 1.416v. That gives me 64° on Prime95 for at least an hour which is harder then I will use this computer most likely. And I have my 3.0 USB working just fine, so I'm actually pretty happy about it.

-Rodger

That's good news. Those older boards at least work the way they're supposed to

Back