• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screenshot of DVD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lonew0lf

Hi all,
First off an appology if this is in the wrong place, couldn't decide between here and the video/sound section.

I am trying to get a screenshot of a frame on a DVD, but no matter what I do all I get is a blank rectangle where the video should be. This bit is a bit hard to explain, but when the video is open in the background, I can see the video in paint shop pro (or MS image preview, or firefox etc.. whatever I open the picture in. Now, when I move the image on the screen, or resize scroll etc the window moves, but the screen from the video doesnt!! It's like I have a hole to the video in the screen.

I had something similar years ago back on '98, and used a program, HyperSnap, to capture the overlay, but this is not working now.

I have tried playing the video in Media Player, PowerDVD, Intervideo and some player that came with my dvd writer, and to capture i've used print screen, hypernap, psp6 and 7 capture facility. All have the same results, but some videos I can capture ok, some won't.

Please could someone help me with this problem. How can do to get a bitmap saved to disc of a dvd?

I use InterVideo WinDVD4 and it has its own little capture button/ utility that lets me take screenshots and save them however I want.

You can capture with powerdvd but you have to disable hardware accelleration.

Thanks for the replys!

Trombe said:
I use InterVideo WinDVD4 and it has its own little capture button/ utility that lets me take screenshots and save them however I want.
I have used the inbuilt capture as well as capture programs, all same result.

moz_21 said:
You can capture with powerdvd but you have to disable hardware accelleration.

This worked, thanks!, but the quality has been reduced lots - its very pixelated (stretched? not smothed? IDK)

willkill1337 said:
There's something called overlay mode mode. In Winamp whilst watching a video, I've had the same problem and turning off Overlay Mode enabled me to take a screenshot.

I remember know, yes thanks! disable overlay on the display control panel. But that was back on my nVidea. All I have on my ATI is the huge *** catalyst control centre that takes half a day to load, and a futher half day to do anything. How do I disable overlay in it. I also have radlinker but was unable to find any overlay setting.

Is there another way to disable overlay without turning off hardware accel/quality??

If not I may just rip it into avi and capture that way.

Last edited:
Lonew0lf said:
This worked, thanks!, but the quality has been reduced lots - its very pixelated (stretched? not smothed? IDK)

Did you use the spacebar in Powerdvd instead of just doing a printscreen?

moz_21 said:
Did you use the spacebar in Powerdvd instead of just doing a printscreen?

I think it was configured a 'c' or something, but yes, and I had it set to write to disc each time (d:\snap_.bmp) I have all the files on disk, but they are black, or are like lego tv!

Back