• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sasser Worm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1cem4n

I just found a process on my computer which is using 5,000 kbs of memory. It's called lsass.exe and I think maybe its the sasser worm. I just want to make sure because last time I deleted the "virus" it turned out to be a very important registry file. Any idea?

-1cem4n

lsass - lsass.exe - Process Information

Process File: lsass or lsass.exe
Process Name: Local Security Authority Service

Description:
lsass.exe is a system process of the Microsoft Windows security mechanisms. It specifically deals with local security and login policies.

Note: lsass.exe also relates to the Windang.worm, irc.ratsou.b, Webus.B, MyDoom.L, Randex.AR, Nimos.worm which spread via floppy disk drives, mass-mailing and peer-to-peer sharing. Please review file path for clarification of this.
For More Information About lsass.exe - Get WinTasks 5 Pro Now!

Author: Microsoft Corp.
Part Of: Microsoft Windows Operating System

System Process: Yes
Background Process: Yes
Uses Network: Yes
Hardware Related: No
Common Errors: N/A
Memory Usage: N/A ( Free Up Memory )

Security Risk (0-5): 0
Spyware: No ( Remove )
Adware: No ( Remove )
Virus: No ( Remove )
Trojan: No ( Remove )

Remove lsass.exe: Use WinTasks
Boost Your PC: Use SpeedUpMyPC

Administrators: Troubleshoot Your PCs

1cem4n said:
So its completely harmless? I heard that it IS the Sasser Worm.

-1cem4n

Wrong. The Sasser virus uses an exploit to crash LSASS.EXE and thus the error message you see is from Windows, because LSASS.EXE crashed.

I think sasser had a slightly different name, just to make it look legit, but not really. Cna't remember what it was.

Anyone know of a virus/worm that disables Task Manager? It just happened to me this AM. I never turned it off intentionally. Can't find a way to turn it back on. Hard to find out what is happening on the system without Task Manager.

Back