• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED XFX RX Radeon 6600 performance possible improve? Adobe Illustrator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Userbenchmark isn't really a good way to measure, but it looks like everything is performing as it should.

I wish we had dome Ai users here to see if it behaves the same. I have Ai (2022)....

Also, you can quote the person youre talking to by highlighting the text and clicking on reply. Much easier to follow too. :)
Thank you for your support.
I'd be so glad to meet other designers here and share experience. Here you could see a couple of these complex maps with a dense content, color depth and effects.
Unfortunately I had to decrease a lot their size and quality because they are too big to upload here.
However in my maps gallery there are much better quality samples:
Best regards

Attachments

• Sample-3-36 x 24-dark background.jpg
    Sample-3-36 x 24-dark background.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • Sample--Europe map-30x24-dark-background.jpg
    Sample--Europe map-30x24-dark-background.jpg
    1,013.9 KB · Views: 6
Those are beautiful!

Do you have Google drive? Maybe I can download the file from you and put it on my pc? It's got a 12900k, similarly fast m.2 drive, and rtx 3070 for graphics. I'll see how it saves on my pc?

Amazing work on these maps (y)

I downloaded all the files and loaded them on IrfanView (freeware image editing software), the largest of the maps took anywhere between 1s-2s, everything else less than a second. Saved them as BMP/WEBP/TGA/TIF/PNG/RAW and edited/re-saved them, all took less than 2 seconds. Maximum CPU load was ~10% spikes on the biggest files with Chrome+YouTube running in the background. Could it be an issue with the program you use, Adobe software in general isn't exactly known for stellar performance?

Last edited:
I didn't see the dropbox link until now :chair:. Did those get added in, lol!

I don't really know how to use any of these or what to save it as... In Ai, I tried to save the 25MB file (scratch the world map 3) to both the cloud and my PC (as Ai files instead of jpg) both was done in an instant. The Explorers map close up (63MB) wouldn't open in illustrator.

If someone can walk me through the proper process, I'd be happy to try it!

Hi everyone there, thank you for the appreciations.
There is a confusion: the Dropbox folder is a porfolio with .jpg work samples, there are not any Illustrator .ai there. It's just for thew new clients appreciation, just a gallery. The original .ai files are private, almost all of them belong so some client and cannot be shared. I'm sorry. It's just a rule, other's private files cannot be shared.
I had a very bad surprise today with the main disk test :C / Corsair Force Series MP510 480GB NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 SSD
Previously it was above 3000 Mb!!!What happened? What can I do?
Thank you, best regards

Attachments

• CrystalDiskMark_.png
    CrystalDiskMark_.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 2
Userbenchmark isn't really a good way to measure, but it looks like everything is performing as it should.

I wish we had dome Ai users here to see if it behaves the same. I have Ai (2022)....

Also, you can quote the person youre talking to by highlighting the text and clicking on reply. Much easier to follow too. :)
I have now 2 tests with different writing results, I'm confused. Looks strange.

Attachments

• as-ssd-bench Force MP510.png
    as-ssd-bench Force MP510.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 3
  • CrystalDiskMark_.png
    CrystalDiskMark_.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 3

After some more tweaks it's the same, I'm so confused

Attachments

• CrystalDiskMark_2022-08-20.png
    CrystalDiskMark_2022-08-20.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 2

After drivers update, much better
Post magically merged:

other test after drivers update

Attachments

• CrystalDiskMark_2022-08-20-drivers updates.png
    CrystalDiskMark_2022-08-20-drivers updates.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 1
  • as ssd_2022-08-20-drivers updates.png
    as ssd_2022-08-20-drivers updates.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 1

Hi again.
I've posted this issue in Adobe Forums and this is the answer I've received:

Profesional de la comunidad de Adobe

Monika Gause
Profesional de la comunidad de Adobe ,
Aug 21, 2022
Copiar vínculo al Portapapeles

Copying an existing file is a different process than saving a file.
16 GB is not a lot of RAM for Illustrator.

When saving an AI, Illustrator actually saves 2 files into one, one of them being a PDF, which means that effects need to be expanded at the time of saving.

When saving an AI, Illustrator actually saves 2 files into one, one of them being a PDF, which means that effects need to be expanded at the time of saving.
That's what I alluded to earlier about Ai and needing an Ai file. Happy they confirmed it. :)

As far as the RAM comment, 16GB may not be enough, but it depends on what you're working with. Look at the image you posted of task manager, you're only peaking around 8GB? So, with THAT file, you have another 8GB before RAM becomes a problem. So even if you go 32GB, if you're only using 8GB performance won't increase at all. It's only when RAM is full that it slows down. But again, it depends on the file you're working with as to how much RAM it uses. Keep an eye on RAM use. If you're getting close to or going over 16GB, get 2x16GB for 32GB (sell your current kit).

So, without having the actual Ai file you're working with and testing, we can only continue to guess if that's normal or not.

That's what I alluded to earlier about Ai and needing an Ai file. Happy they confirmed it. :)

As far as the RAM comment, 16GB may not be enough, but it depends on what you're working with. Look at the image you posted of task manager, you're only peaking around 8GB? So, with THAT file, you have another 8GB before RAM becomes a problem. So even if you go 32GB, if you're only using 8GB performance won't increase at all. It's only when RAM is full that it slows down. But again, it depends on the file you're working with as to how much RAM it uses. Keep an eye on RAM use. If you're getting close to or going over 16GB, get 2x16GB for 32GB (sell your current kit).

So, without having the actual Ai file you're working with and testing, we can only continue to guess if that's normal or not.
Thank you for the comment.
I'm still confused. See the attachment. I applied a small change on the big map file and did "Save". I have taken the Task Admin Performance screenshot in the peak of the saving process (when Illustrator is showing the saving process %), it was in the 50% saving, in the middle. Till the saving end it never used more than 5 Gb of RAM. Why? How could I tweak the RAM to use the full 16 Gb capacity?
Is some RAM blocking issue stopping to reach only a 8 Gb top? I mean, if the system is slowing down why it's not using the full 16 Gb capacity? There are 2 modules of 8 GB in dual channel and seems that only 1 is in use.
Thank you,
Florin

Attachments

• Memory.jpg
    Memory.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 3
How could I tweak the RAM to use the full 16 Gb capacity?
You can't. As I said above, it depends on the file you're working with as to how much RAM it uses. If the file only needs 4GB, that's how much it uses. You can't force it to use more... it uses as much as it needs... that's how RAM works. According to CPUz, your memory is in the right slots, seeing all 16GB, and it's in dual channel... it's proper.

From your screenshot above, the only thing being used at "100%" during this process is the CPU.

You can't. As I said above, it depends on the file you're working with as to how much RAM it uses. If the file only needs 4GB, that's how much it uses. You can't force it to use more... it uses as much as it needs... that's how RAM works. According to CPUz, your memory is in the right slots, seeing all 16GB, and it's in dual channel... it's proper.

From your screenshot above, the only thing being used at "100%" during this process is the CPU.
Ok but is the file is using only some 4-5 Gb of RAM why that lady said that 16 Gb are not enough?
This was a real time reading and it is using only half of a single stick. Why have she said that 16 Gb are not enough? Seems strange. In my inexperienced opinion the system should load more than 4 Gb when the process is slow and heavy. I cannot understand some issues, I'm sorry. Best regards.

Ok but is the file is using only some 4-5 Gb of RAM why that lady said that 16 Gb are not enough?
You'd have to ask her, friend. Did she see the screenshot? Perhaps the 'average' Ai user's files are larger and use more RAM so that's why they say that?? As I said before, keep the task manager open and monitor to see how much RAM your system is using. If you're getting close to 16GB, get more!

This was a real time reading and it is using only half of a single stick.
RAM doesn't work that way. It uses both at the same time... hence DUAL channel. RAM doesn't fill one stick then the other. If you don't believe me, look up dual channel RAM works. ;)

Again, according to your CPUz shots from earlier, the RAM is in the proper slots, running the proper speeds, and running dual channel as it should. You can try to run a memory benchmark (download AIDA64, Click on Tools, then Cache and Memory benchmark). It's only a trial so all slots won't fill, but we can get an idea of the bandwidth and if it's in the ballpark/normal speeds.

In my inexperienced opinion
That's why you ask questions, right? To get answers... to learn and gain knowledge. You don't have to understand it, but that's how PCs work. Look up how PCs/dual channel RAM works so you understand. :)

Last edited:
That's why you ask questions, right?
Ok, ok but I still don't understand why or what is limiting the full 16 Gb RAM usage. Maybe the same Illustrator has not the capacity to load all the installed RAM capacity.
I'll not keep bothering anymore LOL, thank you for all the support
Florin

Ok, ok but I still don't understand why or what is limiting the full 16 Gb RAM usage.
What's preventing you from understanding is how dual channel RAM works within a PC. Here is a quote from a website... :)
Dual-channel memory is a technology that uses two memory channels to increase the rate of transfer between your computer’s memory and the CPU. In dual-channel mode, two RAM sticks communicate simultaneously on separate channels to operate your computer and run programs significantly faster.

Therefore, running in dual-channel memory will provide a significant performance boost to your PC, regardless of the actual size of your RAM. For example, in most cases, two 4GB sticks of memory running in dual-channel mode will likely outperform a single 8GB stick of memory in single-channel mode.

Unless you have an ANCIENT version of Ai (did you install from a floppy disk, lol?), they all support WAY more than 8GB (but still use AS NEEDED). You can look up the details of what Ai supports. ;)

Also, that AIDA64 application I was telling you about, run the stress test and check the memory box. Start it and watch your memory use go up to almost 16GB... ;)

EDIT: From the Ai help site... 16GB is recommended... maybe you got bad help. :(

Last edited:
Hi there, thank you for the support. How could I close this thread please?

Back