• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reinstalling windows XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gizmofo

Registered
Isnt there anoption somewhere the lets your computer go back the the state it was when you first turned it on?? i really need that now.... any help is greatly apriciated!!!

What you are talking about is called system restore. By default it is turned on.
start->run-type"msconfig"->ok->launch system restore.
Keep in mind that it does wipe out stored files and programs too. Back up anything you want first.

The system restore isnt letting me go past 90 days for some wierd reason

what i need to do is a total wipe, not wipe to april 19

Rescue reinstall will keep current user files intact, but everything else (OS settings) is reset (as far as I know; haven't had to do one in awhile).

The only other option is to use your OS disks to do a nuke/pave (complete reformat and reinstall from scratch). It goes without saying that this will wipe out all user data ;)

Just so you dont get confused, its repair install. You will have to have an orignal windows disk to do that, not a restore cd. If you own like a dell or some brand name pc, a restore disk is what you most likely have. What that disk will do is reinstall everything that came on your pc when you bought it, and delete everything else you have.

Back