• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ir0nman

Ok guys, I've been an AMD boy since I started overclocking and building computers, but I recently came into an HP 1350n computer, and it is in need of a new motherdoard. It has a P4 2.8Ghz HT proc and 512 megs of ram and an AGP Geforce 4 MX 440. The motherboard on it is flakey. Can you guys please suggest a good replacement to me. It looks like a half height ATX only 3 PCI and an AGP. I'm going to get a sata hard drive, so sata is neccesary too. Thanks in advance for helping out an AMD fan boy...lol
-Ir0nman

Edit: I'm probably not going to overclock this very much, looking to convert it into a media PC / server type thing So it can be a cheaper stable board

Last edited:
Not many micro-ATX mobos available that allow overclocking. The Asus P4P800-VM (has onboard video, but it can be disabled if you use an AGP card) is about the only one that I'd recommend that is currently available at newegg.com.

I was looking at that one, and also I was also looking at the MSI 865GM2-LS. Do you know anything about the MSI? The hp case has a 8 in 1 card reader and firewire I am hoping to hook up to the new motherboard. I was about to look at the manufacturers site and compare, but figured I would ask you since I'm logged in atm. Anyway thanks a bunch for the recommendation.
Take Care,
Ir0nman

edit: Just checked I can get the MSI refurb on newegg for 40 bucks

If overclocking is not a priority goal, then the MSI will probably work ok (can't find a review that says it has adjustable FSB), but Asus will certainly be the better overclocker and better quality.

Back