• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The time has come to build a new rig - advice wanted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tkotitan

Registered
Hi fellow SMPers,

I have patiently waited since I last built my own personal computer, which was 3 years ago. It has served me well as the first system I built from scratch and now I am determined to move to the next level and build an OC'ed dualie, prefferably one that is well future proofed. My dual XP 1800+'s on my Tyan s2460 has lasted me quite long due to great reliability from Tyan, and the fact that CPU speeds have grown at a trickle pace the past 3 years, making my dual CPU applications still beat the crap out of many single cpus today. I am now concerned about future proofing since multi-cores, and low power chips are accelerating innovation again.

So, I need some advice on what to go with for my next build. It is going to be soon (like in the next couple months). I know I could wait for so many things, like Yonah next year etc etc, but I am done waiting and need to build the best rig I can now.

My first choice was dual xeons, the price/performance is there, the overclockability is definitely there and Xeons chew through frames in video rendering. But, on the other hand, I would like something with PCI-express, 64-bit support, and could handle the new dual-core upgrades. Plus, it seems I can do better bang-for-buck wise with newer parts.

So, I recently thought, I'll just get a dual core X2 3800 and OC it. I like this idea a lot, seems to make sense, but I have this problem, I am crazy you see. The more CPUs the merrier. I do a lot of multitasking, usually in the form of video rendering or running some brute-force random program I wrote (like a random sonnet generator). I dream of having 4 or even 8 CPUs. But buying a quad server is well out of my price range. And I still want to be able to add value by overclocking.

Then, my mind flew to building a cluster by networking a bunch of say, abblebreds together is a custom frame the size of a refrigerator, and heating my house with it while running linux and folding space time itself. Then some grips of sanity brought me back to building a system I can fit into a normal case.

Then today, I saw the second rig in DaveB's profile, the dual opteron rig nicely overclocked. I was thinking how cool dual dual core opterons would be, but $800+ a cpu is too much. I want to stay under 600 for mobo and cpus. Then I had this ah-ha moment where I realized if I could build a dual single-core opteron rig overclocked, I would get performance close to an X2 Athlon, but down the road (say, 2-3 years) I could maybe upgrade to cheaper dual core opterons. It seems the upgrade path to dual core is a lot smoother for AMD than intel at the moment, and I rather stay with AMD over Intel.

From my current system I know going dual Opterons requires a bit more money for: power costs, registered ram, and cooling solution. But I'm willing to pay the cost for a dually rig that is potentially quad down the road.

So, my first question is, am I too crazy? Would you build a different rig now and for what reasons?

Secondly, I am looking for resources on Opteron overclocking. I haven't found much but maybe I just don't know where to look. I know overclocking but don't know how to actually do the overclocking. Are certain 200 series opterons better at OC'ing than others? Are the multipliers locked, what is the best board for this, etc.

DaveB, if you could offer and info on ow you OC'ed your rig, even if it's just links to old posts, that would be a big help.

A couple notes: I plan on air cooling but am liking coolers that blow heat out the back of the case instead of into the motherboard. That may be tricky as both CPUs are close together on most mobos.

My primary application will be my main PC, rendering video, playing games, etc.

TIA,

tkotitan

Cliff's Notes:
o Need advice on what dual overclocked comp to build at reasonable price.
o Want good future proofing (like PCI express, multi-core support)
o The more CPUs, as in cores, the merrier.
o I am liking the idea of dual opterons, but need info.
o I am crazy.

Well if your going with opterons (which I think Intel is better) I am selling Micron PC2100 2x1 gig sticsk Registed ECC. They would work great in an opteron system...please check classifides.

I just build a dual LV Xeon rig for 400 dollars.

Check ebay often. You can/will find in credible deals on processors there.

What I would do would be as follows:

Asus K8N-DL - numa support, decent overclocking with clockgen.. hopefully a proper bios will come out soon that will allow some great overclocks.

2xOpteron 246 - try to wait for the e stepping chips to be availiable.. one of the model numbers is OSA246BLBOX. Don't get the C0 steppings (ending with something like CEP5AL).. CG is ok, but with e4 comming soon, it'd be a waste.

2x or 4x OCZ server ram - http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=140528
Should take you as far as you should be able to go.

Whatever videocard suits you're type.. if you're really feeling extreme, maybe even try to find a deal on a 7800.. if not, 6800, x850, whatever floats you're boat..

That should do ya :-] Get a Vantec Iceberq for the chipsets, because they should have good cooling. The chips shouldn't run you too hot.. And good luck with whatever you decide to choose.

If you are interested in going the Xeon route, I can help with that as well, as that is where I am at now :-]

tkotitan,

You can go with either Xeons or Opterons and do well. perfectturmoil mentioned the Opteron route, the equivalent Xeon route is:

IWill DN800-SLI
2x 2.8/1 MB or 3.0/2 MB
Registered DDR2 (any PC2-533 should work, its really not that expensive now)

The mobo would be more expensive but the CPUs cheaper. There are dual-core Xeons rumored to come out, so Opterons have the advantage there because they've already been released. As for coolers, there are a couple of huge heatpipes that don't blow right into the motherboard for Xeons.

What really should make your decision are your applications. Look up benchmarks for your particular program- I'm guessing Xeons will win, but Opterons slip in now and then.

Actually, I think its cheaper/better to focus on just single-core SMP for your main rig, then add cheap extra Athlon MP rigs if you need more processing power.

tkotitan said:
Hi fellow SMPers,

DaveB, if you could offer and info on ow you OC'ed your rig, even if it's just links to old posts, that would be a big help.
1. Go into BIOS and:
In Advanced -> CPU Configuration, Set FSB to 210 MHz
In Advanced -> Memory Configuration, Set Memclock index value to 166 MHz
In Power -> Hardware Monitor -> Voltage Monitor,
Set CPU1 and CPU2 Voltage Monitor to Default VID +.50mV.

2. Save BIOS and reboot.

3. Use ClockGen version CG-NVNF4 to find highest overclock.

4. Follow instructions on CPUID website to write a Ghost mode text file to automatically OC your system to the highest stable OC when Windows loads.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I am really liking this dual opteron idea so much that i'm thinking I will go with it. I would go with xeons except I don't see a smooth upgrade path there that doesn't require all new mobo and cpus. I think the K8N-DL future proofs me pretty well, which is suprising for a dually board.

I'm shooting for the best price/performance I can manage, so I'm looking at opteron 242-246s. I think I would like some E-stepping CPUs, but I couldn't find much info on them. A froogle search yielded me only 250 and 252 models, are there plans to release lower clocked E4s? 90nm and SSE3 definitely sounds worth it, but are there some good overclock results out there with them yet?

Thanks again.

Just be aware that for a decent overclock on E4 steppings, you would need to do a u-wire mod on the sockets of the K8N-DL similar to what is done on the dual Xeon PC-DL. The BIOS only gives you a 0.05V bump while with the u-wire mod you can go to 1.6V.

Opteron 244 E4 Stepping

tkotitan said:
I think the K8N-DL future proofs me pretty well, which is suprising for a dually board.

Remember that AMD's coming out with Socket 1207, I think it is, next year. You're right, though, in the sense that there's a far more established dual-core upgrade path for Opterons.

It would give you a solid upgrade path. The dual core opteron 275's are monsters at crunching. Especially with dual everything now, you can expect SMP-optimized games in the future.

The time hsa never been better to go SMP. After my current Venice rig, I will follow suit.

DaveB said:
Just be aware that for a decent overclock on E4 steppings, you would need to do a u-wire mod on the sockets of the K8N-DL similar to what is done on the dual Xeon PC-DL. The BIOS only gives you a 0.05V bump while with the u-wire mod you can go to 1.6V.

Opteron 244 E4 Stepping

Thanks for the help and info DaveB, I was wondering if you could link me to a guide for doing the u-wire mod on the K8N-DL. My constant searching on here and the 2cpu forums has left me frustrated.

Parts should be in next week, I ordered some E4 244s. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks again.

Look at page 22 of this link for the VID pin mapping. You need to know the default core of your CPUs to figure it out. Since the AMD info for the E4 stepping says 1.35V/1.4V I can't help you until you know what the actual default core is.

DaveB said:
Look at page 22 of this link for the VID pin mapping. You need to know the default core of your CPUs to figure it out. Since the AMD info for the E4 stepping says 1.35V/1.4V I can't help you until you know what the actual default core is.

Ok, after doing some searching and reading up on how to do u-wires on Xeons and on how ScooterFL on 2cpu u-wired his opterons, I *think* I have an Idea of what to do. My CPUs aren't in yet but I was wondering if I could do a dry run in my head here outloud to make sure I got things right. I know my basic circuits and how to read binary, but otherwise I'm no crazy EE hardware guy, I'm in fact a programmer.

According to the VID Encoding table on page 46 of the link above, VID [4:0] for a 1.35v is 0x01000 and 1.40v is 0x00111. My first question/guess is that the goal would be to make the pins that correspond to those 5 binary digits according to the table on page 22 become rewired so they form a new encoding, say 0x00000 for 1.55v. In the case I get a 1.35v CPU, I would need to u-wire the pin that corresponds to VID[3] to a neighboring pin that is low to ground it out and make it a 0? In the 1.4v CPU case, I would need to u-wire 3 pins, VID[0-2] to get it to 1.55?

That's the idea that I surmise, I havent don't my homework to death so I'm just wondering if that is the fundamental approach or if I got it all wrong. I like to have a solid understanding so I can check my own work.

As a random idle question: if I am right on how this works, I'm curious to know how AMD sets the voltage for a CPU, i'm guessing some brigde on the packaging but u-wires are the easier way to bypass that.

Thanks once again.

You got it. Hopefully you'll have a 1.35V chip and will only need to do the single u-wire.

tkotitan said:
... I ordered some E4 244s...

Where on earth did you find a set of these? I have been looking for EVER and I have yet to find somewhere that actually has em.. I want either 244's or 246's.. Did you actually purchase from somewhere that has them in stock?

perfectturmoil said:
Where on earth did you find a set of these? I have been looking for EVER and I have yet to find somewhere that actually has em.. I want either 244's or 246's.. Did you actually purchase from somewhere that has them in stock?

Technically, I don't have them yet. By searching for "OSA242BLBOX" or "OSA244BLBOX" on froogle.com I found about 6 vendors that have them, all out of stock. I put in an order last week with the cheapset vendor, sparco.com and they are *supposed* to be in stock today. We'll see if they come through for me. They were good sending me an availability notice of 8/20 estimated.

tkotitan said:
Technically, I don't have them yet...

Oh ok.. yeah I've been playing that game for a while.. sparco's prices are better than any of the others I have seen.. 235 for a 246... Now its just a waiting game until they ACTUALLY come in stock... I've been watching the same sites on froogle since the beginning of August.. they listed them as out of stock / on order then.. some said that 8/15 was the date they were due to arrive... hopefully they end up comming in stock soon...

This is a nice post since I am starting to be in the same situation. My current dually (SIG) is not able to keep up with my needs, so a platform now that can tke the dual-cores sounds like a wise investment.

Will

As an update, I am still waiting on availability notification for my E4 CPUs. sparco.com has been very quick and clear in responding via email to my own email queries. I just asked for an ETA or speculation and they told me they called AMD, and have no idea when more will be shipped out. My patience if wearing thin so we'll see how things go by the end of this week.

In recent good news, AMD plans to cut the price on it's 265 model CPUs by 200 bucks, tempting me to buy one or even two opteron 265s which have great availability, 90nm SOI etc. I may end up slurging more on this rig than I hoped, but with overclocking it should be well worth it.

i have a customer that just ordered the K8N-DL, plus the opteron 270. Then he's going to add another 270... i have been searching the net trying to find documentation on whether that board will support the 2 dual core opterons... would it be better for him to just use 2 250's?

Clappy said:
i have a customer that just ordered the K8N-DL, plus the opteron 270. Then he's going to add another 270... i have been searching the net trying to find documentation on whether that board will support the 2 dual core opterons... would it be better for him to just use 2 250's?

Yes, the board supports dual core opterons. I forget which BIOS revision but it is from an older one since dual cores have been out for a while. And since the board has 2 sockets, if it supports one dual core CPU, it supports two. The important thing is that both CPU models are identical.

Having 4 CPUs (as in total cores) instead of 2 at the same speed is unquestionably better. It is important to understand how SMP works and that not everything will run twice as fast, but twice as many things can be done. That's discussed frequently around here and in FAQs.

If your customer is interested, I'd reccomend 265s instead of 270s, since there is only a 200mhz difference for about 100 bucks per CPU, and even though the K8N-DL isn't the best overclockers board, it could easily squeeze out the extra speed from what I've heard. Granted, overclocking isn't for everyone, but I'd figured I'd mention it in ocforums.

As a status aside, I'm waiting for my credit card cycle to reset tommorow and then I'll be looking for a pair of 265's. I'm waiting for them to drop below 700 each as price wars have been raging at the vendors. I'm raring to go and get the new rig setup and then overclocked. I will let people know how it goes.

Back