• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think i killed my ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

So i decide to switch memory sticks between my two PC's just for testing and only one of the two rigs started up. The rig that doesnt start is getting 2x512. I tried the two sticks seperately. One boots and the other doesnt boot. Also, the "bad" stick of memory gets hot when I try to use it. Did I break it?

--pak

I tried it in the first two slots, how do I clear cmos? Remove batter? I just have to set time again right? No reformatting or anything?

--pak

Not unplugging powersupply and not unloading caps prob. could have done it as well.

pak said:
cleared CMOS....no go :(

--pak
Here I think what happenned. Maybe one computer is set on fast, trubo in BIOS under DRAM. clear your CMOS first.
unplug power and wait 15 seconds. then look at your mobo manual and find where the "clear CMOS" pins are. usually very close to the battery and 3 pins and most of the time the jumper is red color. take the jumper out and wait another 15 second. then put in 2-3 pins and wait 5-10 second and put it back to origional pins. plug and see if works.
if not, then just boot computer w/ the stick that works and go to BIOS and set it to optimal.
do you remember if you increased the fsb jumper in your mobo? if so you need to put it back to factory spec. some old mobo have switchs for multiplieres and fsb (66,100,133 mhz) if yours has these switches then put it back to factory installed. Sometimes you buy rams of deferent speed(100,133) and the lower speed will not work if you have overclocked your motherbd.

The cmos was cleared already. When the CMOS is cleared, all the settingd are set to a failsafe option that will allow any hardware to work. The stick is dead. Plus, I'm assuming the 2x512 was bought in a kit. If bought seperately, he bought the same kind. It worked before.

Here is the weird thing. I did almost the exact same thing a few years ago. I took memory out of the same rig, put it in another rig, and 1 of the sticks appeared to be dead. I just put that stick to the side and forgot about it. A few mos ago, I thought maybe Ill try it out and it works now.

Now i did play wth the bios settings in both rigs. (who doesnt?) I dont remeber *exactly* what each rig was set to. As far as clearing the cmos, all i did was pull the battery off the mobo. When I booted I had to set the bios up again. Pretty much just the clock. I left everything else alone.

I also tried to put the dead memory stick in the old rig where it was working. Still doesnt seem to work. *cries* So Im guessing its bad or I have to wait a few years for it to come back to life.

What could have killed it? I unplugged the PSU and I touch the case to remove any static from me.... What else could I have done?

--pak

pak said:
Here is the weird thing. I did almost the exact same thing a few years ago. I took memory out of the same rig, put it in another rig, and 1 of the sticks appeared to be dead. I just put that stick to the side and forgot about it. A few mos ago, I thought maybe Ill try it out and it works now.

Now i did play wth the bios settings in both rigs. (who doesnt?) I dont remeber *exactly* what each rig was set to. As far as clearing the cmos, all i did was pull the battery off the mobo. When I booted I had to set the bios up again. Pretty much just the clock. I left everything else alone.

I also tried to put the dead memory stick in the old rig where it was working. Still doesnt seem to work. *cries* So Im guessing its bad or I have to wait a few years for it to come back to life.

What could have killed it? I unplugged the PSU and I touch the case to remove any static from me.... What else could I have done?

--pak

I got an idea. rub the teeth of ur bad memory stick w/ a nylon sock or cloths, or even a towel. kind of like cleaning it. this way you have cleaned any film off the teeth and also creating a low static charge. the charge may trigger a frozen circuit in a dead bank and bring it to life. kind of like CPR

Um... wouldn't there be a static hazard with a nylon sock? Cleaning the contacts isn't a bad idea, though.

Back