• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Deciding on hardware to buy on Blitz Day.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You may want to check into the new Opteron 939's. They OC quite well and have double the cache of the Venice. Also, doesn't Hitachi make a 16mb cache model? If so, you will find that to be quicker than the 8mb cache. None of these suggestions will add a whole lot to the total price. Also, make sure you get a first rate PSU.

With a budget of $1,100, you might even be able to squeeze in a X2 3800+. But yeah, the main question is are you starting from scratch and buying parts for a whole new system? And what type of things do you do with computer, if it's gaming, then get a better video card, if not, then etc.

Sorry about not having a lot of info. I had like 15 minutes to look that up and bell rang for class dismissal. Anywho....a re-cap may help.

Ok because of Hurricane Katrina we had to move to a different house (owned by a relative). In that area we will be able to get DSL when the phone lines are fixed. I'm building this for gaming. My plan is that I want to get the best card on Blitz Day for cheap (if you don't know what Blitz Day is...it's the day after Thanksgiving where stuff goes on sale). Hopefully my theory of not having to upgrade as often will be supported by getting the nVidia 7800 (or whatever the best video card is at the time).

Here's the downside. I have to include monitor (17" LCD) mouse (already picked out), and keyboard.

Current Specs (All components searched under pricegrabber.com)

Case - Antec SUPER LANBOY - $65.60

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice - $215.49

HDD - ?

HSF - ?

Thermal Compound - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - $7.99

RAM - ?

Mobo-?

Sound Card?

Video Card - Still under research

Mouse - Logitech MX518 2-Tone Mouse - $39.89

Current Total - $875.37 (without shipping)

I'm surprised I came up under a grand with those specs. Now, what I need are motherboard, sound card (good, but moderately priced), 250 GB HDD, and 2 GB RAM recommendations. Thank you for your time. Recommendations greatly appreciated.

Surprisingly, I've seen a couple of good monitors with 8ms response time from Best Buy and Office Depot, so I'm not concerned there, but a 17" monitor (that doesn't ghost) recommendation will be appreciated also.

Last edited:
Thermalright XP-120 and a 120mm fan. Best there is, but it's really big (I mean REALLY BIG) so check the thermalright web site and make sure it's compatible with your mobo first.

xp120 and the new si-120(compatible with everything) all have heatpipes and they have nickel plating so the copper doesn't oxidize. I'd get a Si-120 or an XP-120 and then get a nice delta tri-blade.

-1cem4n

Is it just me or do you only have roughly $300 left. You cant get ram, hdd, mobo and video card with all that, not to mention a sound card.

Can you post your Monitor your getting.

*EDIT* I can only tell you one thing, you are going to have to lower your standards, lol.
I tried putting this together with no moniter or mouse or special cooling and got $1,232.

Case- Antec super lanboy $76
HDD- Hitachi 250gig sata $106
Mobo- DFI UT ultra-D $128
Video- XFX 7800GT $384
PSU- OCZ PS 520 $135
Memory- 2gigs of OCZ $257
CPU- 3000 venice $146

Last edited:
Get a 3000+ venice instead and oc it. get 2gb of Mushkin Value. epox nForce4 ultra motherboard, 7800gt maybe or an x800gto2. if you don't need too much room, just stick with 160gb SATA hard drives, get a si-120 from thermalright and then for your soundcard, just get it later or something.

-1cem4n

I might have to bump budget up to $1,200. I hate to do that, mostly because I don't have a job...I need a job.

[Edit] I won't stay and update. I'm not at my house. I'll update sometime around 10 A.M. tomorrow. See ya.

[Edit 2] I will also be buying all this stuff on Blitz Day. Don't know if you read, but it's the day (or a couple days) after Thanksgiving and everything goes on sale. So I plan on buying stuff then. I'll be updating around 10 in the morning. Peace.

Last edited:
Case: Super Lanboy - $76.00
Mobo: EPoX 9NPA+ Ultra - $105.00
Proc: AMD X2 3800 - $347.00
RAM: Patriot 1GB - $125.95
HDD: Maxtor 300GB - $127.00
Vid: eVGA 6800GT - $289
HSF: XP-90c - $62.99
Thermal: Arctic Silver 5 - $7.99

Without the moniter, you can edit the HDD and other things for less space to save money. Also, the Venice 3000+ would save a lot from the X2 3800 obviously, also add the sound card later. Oh and no mouse...prolly have to pricewatch some stuff and mod them.

BTW, all of new egg.

Also, I cant copy and past for some reason so I cant get the link, just use your better judgment when looking at them :p

I was just goofing around and this is what i got for $1,106. It was $80 for tax and in my case $58 for shipping, but that could vary for you, so the total end total was $1,252, and on blitz day that should be down below $1200.

Case- Antec super lanboy $76
HDD- Hitachi T7K250 250gig $106
Monitor- the acer you said $219
Mobo- Epox Nforce4 ultra $105
Video- Sapphire x800pro $189
PSU- Fortron AX500-A $91
Mouse- logitech MX518 $39
Thermal paste- AS5 $7
Memory- 1x1gig OCZ platinuma ddr400 $135
(didnt want to go 2x512 because you could get another stick later)
Proc- 3000 venice $146

Back