• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unable to decide on new MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tithulta

Ok here is the biggest issue in deciding i have. Deciding between Single GPU gaming and Crossfire Gaming.

Typically i've been a basement budget and in the past my MB have cost anywhere from 39-69ish. I'm atm using a AM2 system. Performs well enough and I've certainly gotten my moneys worth. Caveat...I Game. Once upon a time spending more on GPU made up for the low MB/cpu as i typically got the cheapest cpu for the platform. Now days games need more CPU than in the past and having a quality cpu/gpu setting on a decent MB seems the best gaming pleasure/budget.

If basement budgeting was still my primary concern I could pick out what i like much easier. I want to splurge somewhat, but not buy more than i need.

Current systems:
Old Gaming System---------Primary gaming machine
S939 1.8ghz (3000+)------Phenom tricore 2.41ghz
2gb ddr400------------------4gb ddr2-800 gskill
ati 3650 1gb-----------------amd 5750 1gb ddr5
250gb sata------------------250 gb sata
tforce 6100-939 mb---------ECS NFORCE6M-A(3.0)

K so you see my history...help me find my future :D

I'm not holy stuck on a particular manufacturer, though i do have favorites. Prefer to be able in the future to add a second GPU in crossfire at a full 16x.

Just wondering at this point if i wouldnt be just as happy with a cheaper MB and going with a better Cpu/GPU and sticking with a single GPU.

The Asus Crosshair fullfills the second GPU @16x, but is WELL above the amount I'm used to paying and I feel like I'm going to end up paying for features I will likely never use. I dont overclock much at all anymore, havent since socketA days. Right now I've got 4 MB in compare@newegg... 54$, 99$, 139$, 219$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138283
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130275
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128435
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131644

Now the Biostar may be purchased for another upgrade....got an old socketA still running that desperately needs updated that a nephew games on...barely. May end up going with a 880g+850Sb over that one though.

Never been this indecisive on hardware. I've been trying to build this new system all summer. Planning to buy parts here an there. I already have a good 750w psu and a new case to house the new system i bought early on in the decision making. Having a overall budget would have made this soo much easier, but I don't have one, but still can't spend a ton on it either.

Thinking Quad core CPU around 3.0ghz
Probably will go with 2x2GB memory probably a 1600
GPU will likely be at least a 5770, not sure if i will jump into the 5850/5870

Clear as Mud yet? Advice is very much welcome

For future proofing I would get at least a quad. Not many games take advantage of more than two cores right now but that's slowly changing. If you keep your new rig as long as you've kept your old one you'll probably need the quad before you replace the system. ;)

If you're not going to overclock then, IMO, it doesn't make a lot of difference what you get. If you're going to overclock a little then at least get a board with MOSFET heatsinks or (as a lower-budget alternative) add your own heatsinks to a cheaper board. A lot of current CPU's will overclock on stock (1.35) vCore so you don't need to push the envelope that much and in gaming you'll see big differences with higher clocks. Cheap boards will often allow small overclocks like this.

If you want 2x 16-bit PCIe then you'll need a 790/890FX board. The cheapest of those that I'd trust would be the Biostar 890FXE ($140). The ASUS M4A89TD and Gigabyte 890FX-UD5 are very solid choices for 890FX (both ~$175). Any of these boards will be more than you really need except for the PCIe slots. From what I've read there isn't much of an advantage (2-4% I think?) running 2x 16-bit over 2x 8-bit.

2x2 Gb of RAM is a good choice but I'd be more inclined to run DDR3-1333CL7 than DDR3-1600CL9. The tighter timings are more important than the added speed for these systems. Of course, DDR3-1600CL7 or better would be the best choice but it's more expensive.

I'll let others comment on the Crossfire v single/better card. I think the common wisdom is better card but video isn't really my thing.

Good luck and keep us posted if you can ... :)

I agree with QI on the board. I have two of the Biostar TA890FXE and they have worked great. For some reason they seem to always be cheaper at TD. Biostar TA890FXE for $110.

As far as RAM goes right now I am running Geil Black Dragon 1600 cas 9 running at 1300 cas 7 in both of mine and it has worked fine. But I plan on picking up some different Geil and putting into my OC'ing rig. Its 1600 7-7-7-24 Geil 1600/7 in hopes that I can drop it down to 1300 and tighten up the timing some more.

Last edited:
OK well I finally ended up with an 870 chipset. Never used an Asrock, but I figure since i sorta need 2 upgrades I'd go with this and if i turns out I'm not happy as I'd like to be I can just shift it into the replacement for the old SocketA.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157198

Way I look at it a little money saved over the 890's. I can shift that money over to the GPU and come out alright.

Thanks for getting me to think about this in a more informed fashion.

Back