• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would appreciate some suggestions on a new CPU MB combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, I usually label my drives by what they are....s o C: is labeled as '980Pro', for example. So no matter what drive letter it is, it will always say 980pro and i could change the drive letter as needed. So, label your drives to what they are is a start.

When you build it, install your os drive (nothing else!) and then your os... that will be c:. With nothing else installed (including USB sticks), connect what you want to be d:. Then connect e: and so on. Worst case, you change the drive letter in computer management.

If you can't figure out how to identify which drive is what, you can right click on the drive in Explorer and go into properties to see which is which.

Easy peezy. :)

Well, I usually label my drives by what they are....s o C: is labeled as '980Pro', for example. So no matter what drive letter it is, it will always say 980pro and i could change the drive letter as needed. So, label your drives to what they are is a start.

When you build it, install your os drive (nothing else!) and then your os... that will be c:. With nothing else installed (including USB sticks), connect what you want to be d:. Then connect e: and so on. Worst case, you change the drive letter in computer management.

If you can't figure out how to identify which drive is what, you can right click on the drive in Explorer and go into properties to see which is which.

Thanks so much that is how I was thinking although I dind't label my drives... note to self listen to EarthDog and label drive this time........lol

Something else came up yesterday I saw this video on YouTube about Asus MB's and I had bought one. I decided to return it, not only becasue of what this YouTuber says about Asus but another well know youTuber has found several issues. So now I have to find another brand MB that will have everything the Asus Z670-A had on it. I know I have to eat some crow since in the begining your suggested other brands and I was set firm on Asus but after seeing this video I have changed my mind.

This is the other Youtuber's video about Asus

What are some good quality MB'd brands that you would suggest? If you need to see all my other parts let me know I will list them rather than you having to search through all the posts to find them. This video about Asus really concerns me.

Thanks again for helping me with the HD letter question

I'm adding this most likely after you have read the post, I'm sorry I didn't think it would be an good idea to add another reply. About the motherboard issue.

The one I bought and am returning is,

And thinking about getting an MSI MB maybe this one once I comapre to make sure I have the slots and sata ports I need.

Any thoughts? ( leave out the ones about me being crazy.....lol)

Last edited:

Problem I have with looking in properties to find out which drive it is, all 3 drives are the same brand and model?? I did put a txt file in each drive saying which drive letter it is now. So when connected if not the same drive letter I will know.

Last edited:
Thanks so much that is how I was thinking although I dind't label my drives... note to self listen to EarthDog and label drive this time........lol

Something else came up yesterday I saw this video on YouTube about Asus MB's and I had bought one. I decided to return it, not only becasue of what this YouTuber says about Asus but another well know youTuber has found several issues. So now I have to find another brand MB that will have everything the Asus Z670-A had on it. I know I have to eat some crow since in the begining your suggested other brands and I was set firm on Asus but after seeing this video I have changed my mind.

This is the other Youtuber's video about Asus

What are some good quality MB'd brands that you would suggest? If you need to see all my other parts let me know I will list them rather than you having to search through all the posts to find them. This video about Asus really concerns me.

Thanks again for helping me with the HD letter question

I'm adding this most likely after you have read the post, I'm sorry I didn't think it would be an good idea to add another reply. About the motherboard issue.

The one I bought and am returning is,

And thinking about getting an MSI MB maybe this one once I comapre to make sure I have the slots and sata ports I need.

Any thoughts? ( leave out the ones about me being crazy.....lol)

Two guys on the web share their personal experiences with single samples, and the web is reposting it like all suddenly had to quit buying ASUS products because it's pure evil.
They bring back single issues with older products or say that they got two damaged review samples. I had damaged review samples from other brands, and I know my friends had similar problems too. It doesn't mean I will stop using ASUS motherboards. The main reason is that ASUS still has the best BIOS support, still makes the best motherboards, and still has better RAM support than other brands.
If they had a stupid idea about warranty and their new beta BIOS, it doesn't mean they find out if you use it, and it doesn't mean you have to use it in the first place. You know the issue, so simply don't set too high SOC voltage with X3D CPUs, or don't overclock it as it's almost not overclocking anyway.

What else do you pick? Gigabyte, constant BIOS issues. MSI, somehow ignored the fact that overclockers/enthusiasts exist in this generation, lower RAM support than ASUS, and fewer BIOS releases than in the last generation. ASRock, the lowest RAM support from leading brands, the smallest BIOS team and constant delays with BIOS releases, stupid ideas and pretty average design. Biostar, below average BIOS support, average design. EVGA, only Z790 Dark Kingpin seems fine; everything else has problems with support/BIOS issues/RAM compatibility issues. Other brands are a joke (Biostar support is a joke too, but it's still quite a popular brand because of low prices).

Two guys on the web share their personal experiences with single samples, and the web is reposting it like all suddenly had to quit buying ASUS products because it's pure evil.
I don't know anywhere as much as any of you on this site, I clearly don't know anything compared to the two guys in the YouTube videos. Both these guys have contarcts with most the motherboard brand and use all brands in their builds and reviews. For them to say Goodbye to Asus to me means a lot. The part that scares me is in the secondd video he shows how Asus boards pull a lot more voltage than they should which would ruin the cpu.

Now I have you making a good case for Asus and pointing out the issues with every motherboard brand. What you say makes sense to me but so doesn't the videos. I assume you say keep my Asus?? I don't overclock ever, I just come here to get the advise for building a system. I figure those who overclock would surely know what to advise me on building a system even if I don't overclock.

So now I am confused as to what to do. 2 guys who have very popular YouTube channels for building and reviewing computer parts say one thing. A very experenced person ( you, I didn't see EarthDog say anything about the Asus issue or I missed it I will go back and read the posts after the videos) saying all boards have issues which I trust your opinion. the problem is I trust 3 peoples opinions and they are saying different things.

I've always bought Asus Motherboards, in 20+ years since I have been building my own system I have used Asus. I would like nothing better to keep this Asus borad but to be honest the videos scared the crap out of me.

Would like to hear more thoughts and opinions.

Thanks for the detaialed breakdown of the issues with all brands
Post magically merged:

MSI, somehow ignored the fact that overclockers/enthusiasts exist in this generation, lower RAM support than ASUS, and fewer BIOS releases than in the last generation.
Since I don't overclock the issues with MSI wouldn't affect me as it might you. Would MSI be a good second choice for me since I dont overclock??

Last edited:
The second video is about X3D AMD CPUs and overvolting, which is required for higher-frequency memory kits. It was discovered that overvolting SOC might damage the CPU, and those who were pushing it actually damaged CPUs. GN pushed it hard multiple times to make additional videos. This is related almost only to overclocking. X3D CPUs were not meant to be overclocked in the first place. No brand gives a warranty for overclocking. Motherboards usually overvolt something when you overclock the CPU or RAM. However, it shouldn't be too much.
The only weird thing is the ASUS description that you may lose a warranty using beta BIOS which is supposed to fix mentioned issues ... so issues that (not counting fully manual overclocking) they created - as it was their BIOS with programmed specific behavior while overclocking.

In short, ASUS products are not worse than the competitors. All the noise is about the AMD X3D processors and ASUS's official statement about using their beta BIOS. Mentioned problems are not happening on AMD processors without a 3D cache.

I have Crosshair X670E Gene for the AMD test rig. It has worked great since I got it. I have Maximus Z790 Apex for the Intel test rig, it has worked for a week so far, but also everything is fine. Each time I try to save some money getting other brands, I always end up selling other motherboards and getting ASUS higher motherboard. However, I need motherboards for specific tests. There were some exceptions when I picked MSI because of the same or better results and a significantly lower price.
If I needed a motherboard from the latest series for a typical gaming PC, then I would also consider MSI or Gigabyte, as the motherboards that I tested were pretty good too. I didn't like Z690 or the earlier Gigabyte. I didn't like lower-than-expected RAM support for Z690 MSI, but besides that, the last MSI generation was also pretty good. You may check if MSI Z790 Tomahawk has everything you need if you aren't sure about ASUS. It is supposed to be cheaper, and I haven't heard anything bad about the Tomahawk series.

You may check if MSI Z790 Tomahawk has everything you need if you aren't sure about ASUS. It is supposed to be cheaper, and I haven't heard anything bad about the Tomahawk series.
Both the z690 and z790 have what I need. The z790 is $20 more which is no big deal. In the specs they have RAID, does that mean it supports RAID if I want to use that ( I don't ) sounds to me with my concerrn about Asus the MSI z790 would be my choice since I don't overclock. Do you agree? and please answer the part about RAID.

Also another question if a MB has onboard graphics when you put a graphics card on the board that overrides the onboard graphics, right?

Thanks

Last edited:
You may check if MSI Z790 Tomahawk has everything you need if you aren't sure about ASUS. It is supposed to be cheaper, and I haven't heard anything bad about the Tomahawk series.
Just another question to clearify your suggestion, Looking at the z690 and z790 I don't see many differences. The z690 has one more pcie slot but I only need 3 so the Z790 would work. I am just wondering why you suggested the z790 over the z690? I'm going to order it tonight so I wanted to get that answer and also EarthDog said "depends" you can use both when I asked about graphics card vs onboard graphics. I'd like to hear back from him also before I purchase the MB.

I realize I ask a lot of questions but this is how I learn.

Z790 is newer, so it will have longer BIOS support. It also supports faster RAM, so even if you don't need 7200+, then if you decide on a higher capacity RAM in a year+, then it will probably support it at a higher frequency.
We may see one more CPU for this socket, but I wouldn't expect it will be much faster. Leaks mentioned a "refresh", so more like little improvements, but still will probably need a new BIOS/microcode.

Z790 is newer, so it will have longer BIOS support. It also supports faster RAM, so even if you don't need 7200+, then if you decide on a higher capacity RAM in a year+, then it will probably support it at a higher frequency.
We may see one more CPU for this socket, but I wouldn't expect it will be much faster. Leaks mentioned a "refresh", so more like little improvements, but still will probably need a new BIOS/microcode.
Yes I found this while researching the Z790 "The primary reason for choosing the Z790 over the Z690 is the extra PCIe 4.0 I/O compatibility with an additional USB 3.2 G2X2 Type-C port compared to Z690." So since you also suggested the Z790 that is what I ordered earlier tonight. Thanks for all your help and that goes for EarthDog and whomever else replied to my questions.

Will report back when my system is built and running :)

Problem I have with looking in properties to find out which drive it is, all 3 drives are the same brand and model?? I did put a txt file in each drive saying which drive letter it is now. So when connected if not the same drive letter I will know.
You can change the volume label of each drive to whatever you want. You could name them something like...
D: Storage
E: Backup1
F: Backup2

Untitled.png

They bring back single issues with older products or say that they got two damaged review samples.
I do have to disagree on this summary. The boards were running much higher SOC voltage than needed just by enabling EXPO, and were not using over current protection correctly. In 2023, users shouldn't be enabling one BIOS setting which is heavily advertised as a feature, and having the board auto over-volt the CPU to failure. But mistakes happen, I think the issue these two had is that ASUS tried to hide the mistake rather than stand behind their product and make it right. ASUS also wanted to fly 3 reps to GN but then went silent when they said they were going to record everything. But this was definitely not a single sample that they were given, and the parties were upset not over the fact that something went wrong, but at the effort to cover it up and not honor warranties, especially when boards cost so much.

I do agree however that a YouTuber cannot remain unbiased. While a YouTuber can avoid bias towards a single company, their revenue is driven by views which biases the platform towards drama and click bait. I definitely think it is over the top. On the other hand, that's just the nature of all US based media. I think on the whole, GN does a good job of advocating for the consumer, and functioning independently of bias for or against a given company. The testing they did to blow up CPUs was definitely not real world, but the board shouldn't have let the CPU short, melt the copper and burn the socket either. They were trying to re-create a failure mode that takes months in the real world. Whether that's valid scientifically or just a good way to get clicks because burning PCs always get lots of clicks, is debatable.

Both these guys have contarcts with most the motherboard brand and use all brands in their builds and reviews. For them to say Goodbye to Asus to me means a lot. The part that scares me is in the secondd video he shows how Asus boards pull a lot more voltage than they should which would ruin the cpu.
I think you got to take anything with a grain of salt. This issue was with AMD platforms so your Intel board would have been fine.

I think you got to take anything with a grain of salt. This issue was with AMD platforms so your Intel board would have been fine.
Whatever reason these two YouTubers chose to say "Goodbye" to Asus alone with other things I have read from others is enough for me to chose a different brand. I don't run a test bench and can troubleshoot problems for fun. I build systems to have them run fine, Knock on wood, I have never had any issues with all my systems I have built over the last 20 years except for a failed PSU once.

With all the smoke around Asus no matter the cause is enough for me to chose another brand. since this might be my last build I am 67 and keep my systems 5-8 years. I ordered a MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI and will hope for the best. If I kept the Asus board I would always be wondering when and if it will fail, although I could have issues with a MSI board I won't worry about it becasue there is no smoke around MSI except lack of options for overclockers which won't affect me.
Thanks
Post magically merged:

Some BIOS have the option to "prioritize" one display adapter over the other, meaning it'll activate that one first.

But once in the OS, you can hook displays up to both and they'll run off of their connected adapter.
That makes sense, thanks. EarthDog's reply made sense too but he added "depends" and I got confused about that? depends on what???

Thanks for the reply

I do have to disagree on this summary. The boards were running much higher SOC voltage than needed just by enabling EXPO, and were not using over current protection correctly. In 2023, users shouldn't be enabling one BIOS setting which is heavily advertised as a feature, and having the board auto over-volt the CPU to failure. But mistakes happen, I think the issue these two had is that ASUS tried to hide the mistake rather than stand behind their product and make it right. ASUS also wanted to fly 3 reps to GN but then went silent when they said they were going to record everything. But this was definitely not a single sample that they were given, and the parties were upset not over the fact that something went wrong, but at the effort to cover it up and not honor warranties, especially when boards cost so much.

I do agree however that a YouTuber cannot remain unbiased. While a YouTuber can avoid bias towards a single company, their revenue is driven by views which biases the platform towards drama and click bait. I definitely think it is over the top. On the other hand, that's just the nature of all US based media. I think on the whole, GN does a good job of advocating for the consumer, and functioning independently of bias for or against a given company. The testing they did to blow up CPUs was definitely not real world, but the board shouldn't have let the CPU short, melt the copper and burn the socket either. They were trying to re-create a failure mode that takes months in the real world. Whether that's valid scientifically or just a good way to get clicks because burning PCs always get lots of clicks, is debatable.

I can't see any other motherboard series mentioned by GN than X670E with X3D processors. They didn't expand the "I hate ASUS" statement to other models/chipsets/series.
JTC literally mentioned the ASUS Apex Z790 issue with two samples and pointed out a year-old issue with the Z690 Hero motherboards, which was a clear design flaw. He also mentioned the X3D issue. He had not much more to tell, so he filled the video with some general statements.

I'm not defending ASUS, and I hate how they sometimes act. I had problems with their support in the past, and they clearly pointed out that the management is forcing actions this way. This is nothing new, but also not only they are doing similar things. It's just that problems, like burning CPUs and sockets because of BIOS mistakes, are not something that happens often. ASUS simply handles this whole problem the wrong way and will lose much more because of their statements and actions than a simple motherboard fix or replacement would cost.
It's still brought down to literally only the X3D processor issue and ASUS marketing behavior. You may like or dislike ASUS, but there is no other thing that they did on a global scale that should convince end-users to quit buying their motherboards.

All I remember from the past 3-4 years are 2 issues with ASUS motherboards. ASUS Z690 Hero turned around capacitors - ASUS was replacing motherboards, clearly their fault, but handled in the right way. ASUS Z690 Apex memory slot issues - ignored by ASUS as long as RAM could reach the specified frequency (which was somehow much lower than it should be) - clearly not handled well. Everything else mentioned by YouTubers from the pre-X3D issue is their luck or their problems with marketing that don't directly affect end-users.

Believe me, other brands make problems for reviewers too, and most other large brands were hiding issues with their products in the past, forcing reviewers to post only good info.
I see that all who have never been in the reviewing business (I talk in general about what I see on the web) think it's all nice, and it's only fun. They are shocked when someone says otherwise. Guys get "free samples," play with new toys, and everything is great. There are a lot of problems about which no one is mentioning. It's a regular, full-time job, so you deal with good and bad moments all the time. If reviewers talk loudly about problems with vendors and post it on popular websites, then they usually lose marketing contacts, so no more samples. Often if you talk the wrong way with vendors, then you lose samples too. I mean, even if you talk, not to mention making videos against any vendor. I respect that GN is not afraid to bring problems like that with ASUS, and more often, say straight if there are some design flaws in various products. Most others do nothing. People don't realize how hard it is to convince a single (counting on the market) vendor to provide samples in the first place. Easy is only to lose them.

I just noticed this at TPU. I'm not sure what the source is, but it looks like the new ASUS statement, just pasted.

Let's say too late, as social media made their work already. A lot of people not knowing the problem won't buy their products anymore (or not soon).

Yeash a bit late. I do understand those who don't care for the theatrics, but I don't believe ASUS would have changed their stance without such sharp criticism. I know it is possible to say that we don't know what those disclaimers really meant and maybe they would have honored warranties anyway, but I would just comment that ASUS had the opportunity to speak in person with GN and record a statement on the issue before the video was published, and its publishing was even delayed in order to afford them said opportunity.

I do understand that as a large company, and having someone speak on camera on the record on behalf of the company with the media, this can take some time, but companies need to be able to keep up. And if the company was committed to standing by their product, it shouldn't have been that difficult to at least come up with a statement. I feel like there is a long standing attitude from the industry that users are trying to mess up their stuff and then screw over the manufacturer. For an investment of thousands of dollars (for the total system), I would expect not to be treated like a child.

Finally, I do recall that the GN video mentioned a customer who sent them an ASUS board after ASUS tried to deny their warranty. Once the customer stated he would send the board to GN, he was offered to send it to ASUS instead and "pick anything" they wanted as a replacement. You'd have to watch the video for the exact scenario and again it is a single instance. But none of this reflects a culture of wanting to stand by the product and make it right for the customer. I do agree that all (most) of the companies in the industry are like this, but how does this change without high pressure and expsoure to specific companies, hopefully setting an example for the others.

The video format is frustrating because it's difficult to reference for issues like this or general advice. But I understand writing up articles doesn't generate revenue for the company and probably decreases revenue generating views.

Back