• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am currently slowly building a 13700K system and would appreciate some advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pekmez_Pita

Howdy! I am new here.

Well. Long story short. My overclocked, aging 7700K system is holding me back in a lot of games and it's time i build a new one. I actually just recently refunded a 12900K/3070TI prebuilt and the difference in performance, especially in CPU intensive titles, was quite substantial.

So, anyway, here's my build so far

A 1000 Watt PSU may be overkill but i want to future proof. However, i am currently not in a rush to upgrade my GPU given Nvidia's continued, bs pricing scheme.

This will be my last Nvidia card though once the warranty expires. That's for sure. Especially after the fact that EVGA will no longer be manufacturing GPU's. A true loss for us consumers.

Anyway. Thanks in advance!

Hey there!

Ok.. so, not sure buying a 1000W psu is futureproofing. Even with today's 450W flagship cards and flagship class processors, a quality 850W unit is plenty. I run a 13900k and 4090 on 850w...did it on 750 fkr a while. :)

As far as gpu selection, both companies pricing is high, let's be fair. But there is some value per frame in the lineup (yes, they and video cards are still expensive :( ).

I'd also look for faster memory. Ddr5-6000 cl30 is a good starting point between performance and $$.

Hey there!

Ok.. so, not sure buying a 1000W psu is futureproofing. Even with today's 450W flagship cards and flagship class processors, a quality 850W unit is plenty. I run a 13900k and 4090 on 850w...did it on 750 fkr a while. :)

As far as gpu selection, both companies pricing is high, let's be fair. But there is some value per frame in the lineup (yes, they and video cards are still expensive :( ).

I'd also look for faster memory. Ddr5-6000 cl30 is a good starting point between performance and $$.

Eh. The 850w Modular Corsair PSU is around $25 cheaper. May as well go with the 1000 watt one then. Better safe than sorry. I already got an older revision of Corsair's Modular 850w PSU in my current 7700K system. It's always been a reliable brand to me.

Any particular brand/model for the DDR5-6000 cl30 RAM that you would recommend? Cheers!

It's not safer, just more expensive :p . Put that $25 towards a better GPU. :)

I like GSkill, Patriot and ADATA, but Corsair works well too.

If you play mainly at 1080p, then I would recommend DDR5-7000 if your motherboard can handle it, just because prices went down significantly, and if you care about FPS, then it will give you some extra performance. Corsair, G.Skill, Kingston, or something else ... there are some memory kits on the QVL, and all are using the same Hynix A-die IC, so it should work fine.
On the other hand, at higher display resolution, like 4K, you won't see the difference. Optimal would be to check how high frequency you can get at a similar or not much higher price as there are price drops all the time.

$25 is not a difference, and in this case, I would get 1kW PSU too. However, SLI/CF is not a thing anymore, and most motherboards don't even support it, so you can expect ~200-250W max from the CPU and 250-350W max from the GPU. In total 600W constant load will be about max for the next couple of years in a high-end gaming PC. I'm not counting <1% extreme setups.

You can get a Windows key from "cheap key" websites. I'm not recommending anything as it's maybe legal, but I have mixed feelings about it. It still works and can save $100.

I play at 1440p. Just got a HP x27q a few months ago and i am not going back to 1080p. That's another reason why i need to upgrade. My 7700K is definitely the bottleneck in a lot of the recent games that i frequently play. It frequently hits 90-100 CPU usage in them and chokes my performance in a lot of them. I'll get a new GPU eventually. Most likely AMD. What's a good AMD brand that's on par or close to EVGA's warranty and customers service? I briefly owned a Pulse AMD Radeon RX 6700 just recently but the coil whine on that thing was bonkers. So i am not sure what to brand to go for these days now that EVGA's out of the game. Even if it's an Nvidia GPU.

Anyway. I am not rushing into it. Just collecting some thoughts and opinions all around the net. I appreciate all the input!

I realized that i will need to get a ATX 3.0 PSU that has a 12vhpwr connector for new gen GPU's.

Here's one that's been recommended to me so far https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BF3R83W...colid=3O4WMAJMF6SS9&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

How is Seasonic as a brand? I used to hear great things about them. Is that still the case? They appear to have a few that have the connector. I'll happily pay a bit more if it gives me peace of mind.

I don't have much experience with Thermaltake as a brand. I usually go for Corsair but i can't find one of theirs that actually features that particular new connector.

Also, i went for the Lian Li Lancool 216 RGB after receiving a few recommendations and watching some video reviews on it. It's a more recent product too. I like how modular it is and the airflow appears to be quite optimal. I already ordered it and it's on its way.

As for RAM? I may get this kit instead https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Y16CDL...colid=3O4WMAJMF6SS9&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Still not sure which Mobo to get. That's my biggest concern. That ASUS Prime one i selected is just to give you an idea for the Mobo budget.

What about this one instead https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQD58D9...olid=3O4WMAJMF6SS9&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I have had a good track record with ASUS and AsRock when it comes to Mobos and the Asus Prime one i had in the prebuilt gave me no issues either.

I am not buying any kind of keys from "grey market" sellers because of various reasons. One, not wanting to have my key randomly revoked because my cheap *** purchased it from a questionable source. Those are my thoughts on that particular subject matter.

I realized that i will need to get a ATX 3.0 PSU that has a 12vhpwr connector for new gen GPU's.
FYI, new GPUs come with an adapter. This isn't a requirement, but understand why you'd want it. :)

One, not wanting to have my key randomly revoked because my cheap *** purchased it from a questionable source.
I haven't had that happen yet... just use it ASAP. The worst case is you buy one at full price if that happens.

FYI, new GPUs come with an adapter. This isn't a requirement, but understand why you'd want it. :)

I haven't had that happen yet... just use it ASAP. The worst case is you buy one at full price if that happens.

I've heard mixed thoughts on the adapters.

I have had. More than once. In terms of games. So, i am good!

If you wanted the connectors out the back and not on the side...no other reason

Hopefully cable management won't be a problem with the case i ordered. Just a small concern since i have never seen this kind of design before. That's all.

My revised, build so far

You can ignore the PSU. I went with the Corsair Shift one but it's not currently listed on there.

I have thought about it and i am just gonna get a new GPU for this build too and just leave the 2070 TI in my current system. I looked at some performance tests and the 6800XT should be more than sufficient for 1440P gaming. It's slightly slower than the 6950XT but the performance difference at 1440P is insignificant from what i have seen. $200+ for 10-15% performance increase? I am good!

I went for the DeepCool LS720 too since i don't think my other, Freezer II 240MM will be enough to cool the 13700K. I would have gone with the 360MM Freezer II but they are currently backordered on every site i looked.

My main concern is still the Mobo. I just wanna make sure that i pick the right one and have enough headers etc. to hook everything up. Stuff like the RGB accessories on the cooler and case. This will be my first light show case. lol

Well, besides the prebuilt i temporarily owned.

Last edited:
The only difference between the shift and RMx is where the ports are located. If there is more space on the side than the front, then get the shift, if not then don't. Here is a video discussing it

For the Mobo they can really be crazy these days. It's good that you are looking are features like connectors. Just make a list of what you want, keeping in mind you may prefer a RGB splitter for cable management.

According to their specs,

"Three addressable Gen 2 RGB headers will support up to 500 LEDs on Gen 2 RGB devices, empowering Aura Sync to automatically tailor lighting effects across your whole system. The new headers also offer full backward compatibility with existing Aura Sync gear."

I am assuming that should be sufficient to connect all of the cooler and case RGB stuff. I know that the LS720 only uses one. Hopefully two are enough for the case.

Back