• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a New Build... need some advice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yiotta

Registered
So, much to my surprise it has been 8 YEARS since I built my last PC... it is hard to believe because it is still reasonably fast.

I haven't upgraded it at all since the time of the build with the exception of 2 SSD drives, the first was a 256Mb a few years ago and just recently a 1 GB SSD...

I am still shocked its been so long since I built this water cooled PC!

I noticed my CPU was running a bit hot so I tore the pc apart and it looks like the enclosed liquid cooled pump is starting to fail... no repairing that thing, so I started looking at new solutions and decided as long as I am digging it apart, I might as well go all out and just rebuild it with new components.

Anyway, I have done multiple builds through the years and have always appreciated the latest insights from the active group here... so I need your advice again!

I am planning on keeping everything that is still viable and working well, so that will likely include my case, fans, power supply and drives.

Here is my build:

Intel i7-950 3.06GHz 8M LGA 1366

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UDR3 Motherboard

ADATA 2 GB (Gaming Series) DDR3 1600G RAM ( x 3 sticks)

Sapphire Superclock EVGA NVIDIA GTX470 1.25GB Video

AZZA Hurricane 2000 Full Tower Gaming Case

CoolerMaster Silent Pro 850W Power Supply

So my thoughts are to keep this great case and LED fans.

Keep my awesome power supply and all my drives.

I just bought a new Liquid Cooler System: CoolerMaster ML240R RGB

The question now is, which mobo/cpu/RAM/Graphics Card...

The age old AMD vs Intel... I have built systems with both and I'm happy with both.

As far as needs go, its occasional gaming, sometimes modern games, although I mostly play those on PS4 or XB.

I don't do much video editing but a little.

I want a fast gamer capable system but don't need the latest and greatest.

I am happy with a good system that doesn't break the bank but will last me for many years (as my last one).

So...

Is my RAM still good or is the newer RAM much faster?

Has the form factors changed for the slots in modern Mobos for the RAM and graphics cards?

What do you guys think?

Give me some advice to get started with....

Here's a great place to start. Very timely for you.

You will need new RAM, it's DDR4 now. You will also want more than 6GB. Personally I'd go for 16GB of DDR4-3200.
You will need to buy a copy of Windows 10 if you don't own a retail copy. Most of the latest hardware has limited driver support for older OSs (Win7).

I'd don't know the value of it, but your X58 board still has a good following. So you might want to list the CPU, RAM & GA-X58A-UDR3 in the Classifieds once you've completed your new build.

I guess I should have stated my OS, I am running Windows 10.
Thanks for the thoughts on RAM
What are your thoughts on current graphics, cpu, Moro’s?
I have been reading reviews, benchmarks, values...
Perhaps GTX 1070....

I Just want to make sure you are using a purchased copy of Win10 instead of the free upgrade. I have the free upgrade version & I know it cannot be moved to another machine when I retire my FX8320 setup.

I would lean towards a Ryzen 2700 (8 core 16 thread) & an X470 chipset motherboard for a new build. Another option would be the Ryzen 2600 (6 core 12 thread) & X470 or B450 chipset. I prefer the enthusiast hardware, but there are good boards not geared to overclocking if that isn't a priority. Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock are all acceptable mobo choices.

I agree 100% on the GTX 1070.

Just ordered my new setup... will order the graphics card later today.
I went with the MSI X470 Gaming Plus motherboard, Ryzen 7 2700x 3.7GHz with 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4 3200 RAM...
Should be really fast... now to research the Graphics Cards....

Wow, when you said you wanna update you meant now! :D
Congrats

Hopefully someone can help you pick a GTX 1070. I like EVGA because of their customer service, but just about any make/model with a non-reference cooler should be fine. The reference cooler (single fan) tends to be louder than the 2-3 fan cooler under load.

If I keep the same drives, changing the mobo will require new version of windows?
The OS on that drive might boot in the new system, but the drivers will need to be updated and it will probably ask for a Windows license key to activate. You may or may not be able to get the phone activation to work. If you bought the retail version for your current system it shouldn't be a problem. If you bought the OEM version or did the free upgrade... :confused:

Find deals..I don't know. Nothing wrong with Ryzen either works too and good support. some of the x470s were lacking though...like only 1 nvme and stuff.
But yeah I think it's alright. and you can do the oc. I would throw a fan in there on some of them too though.

Yep, I was ready to go... most components will be arriving today... I ordered the GPU the following day, so it won't arrive until tomorrow. Hope to get her built this weekend.
The card I went with is the ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GAMING 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card.
It was a tough decision as I have always been happy with EVGA. The combination of manufacturer quality, card specs, aesthetics and price just fit me on this ASUS card.
Purchased everything from NewEgg.com, I have always been happy with their pricing, shipping and customer service.
The only thing I got elsewhere was the MasterLiquid ML240R RGB water cooler system that I picked up on Amazon.
Can't wait to get her up and running.... I will take some photos of the build and post em up here after I get'er done. :)

Oh I've bought stuff from all over Literally. Hadn't thought of going to a microcenter or Fry's in years. But yeah could get like a 1070 for 300ish$ maybe. And maybe some other deals...really I wanted a 2070. What they don't tell you using more Nvidia's side and optimization in gaming and whatever else. I need a 4k monitor too.

Back