• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making the Jump to AM5...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ajlaan

I currently have an R5 3600 CPU and RX 5600XT GPU, and am looking to upgrade to the higher end for high FPS gaming at 1440p. I've got a healthy $1400-1500 budget, so it feels like the right time to take the leap into AM5!

I haven't really got my finger on the pulse of current hardware, so could do with recommendations on motherboard and RAM in particular (I don't expect to play around with clock settings).

Parts I'm keeping:
  • Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 AIO
  • be quiet! Pure Base 500DX case
  • Enermax Revolution DF 850W 80+ gold PSU
  • 2TB NVME drive and 2TB HDD
Parts I'm considering for the upgrade (open to recs on any of it!):
  • 7800X3D CPU
  • MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk AM5 motherboard
  • G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 RAM
  • Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XT GPU
Part picker link if helpful: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TTqykJ

For $1400-1500 you won't get anything better. You can only change brands, but it's a personal preference.

I would get RX7900XTX and a 2x24GB memory kit. When I run a lot of stuff in the background and games like Diablo IV or Baldur's Gate 3, I'm already close to 32GB. The price difference isn't big, and we don't really know how it will be in a year or two. Maybe you won't need more RAM, I don't know how you use your PC. When it's only a single game, then 32GB will be fine.
For sure, I would try to get the strongest graphics card in the budget, but 7900XTX is already $150 above it. RAM is $10-15 more, so I guess it's not an issue.

I'm playing at 1440p without issues on Ryzen 7600, but of course, 7800X3D will be a much better option for games. I'm thinking of getting one myself. I just don't know if I really need it now. I can probably wait until the next-gen or a refresh, as AM5 will be with us for some longer.

Thanks! It seems like the trade is 7800X3D + 7900XT vs 7600X + 7900XTX to stay in budget. Is one combo generally recommended over the other?

$10-15 for some RAM headroom feels worthwhile.

OP, if you don't intend fiddling with clock settings on any component, then why not an A620 chipset board & save some money towards something else in the rig?
Boards with that chipset support the full range of current Zen 4 & 6000MT/S memory.

If you plan to upgrade within a few years 6c is fine if you want to run it long term 8c might be better.

Edit: seems like the GPU is holding you back more than anything. How high of FPS are you seeking and are you sure zen2 will prevent you from hitting them?

Back