• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would appreciate some suggestions on a new CPU MB combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if you hit REPLY it quotes the whole post. If you highlight and click reply it pastes the part where your cursor is.

Try it. Try the other option, lol.

Quote+ is for multi quote............and I'm not sure how that works, lol. I just highlight what I want to reply to.

Last edited:
Earthdog, I sent you a conversation which I assume is like a DM. By chance did you get it? seems like I have trouble using this forum and want to make sure you recieved it.

Thanks

I received it. But really you should create a thread about it or update this one so you can get more user's opinions. :)

I received it. But really you should create a thread about it or update this one so you can get more user's opinions. :)
Okay sounds good, Here is an update to my OP

I have decided to build for the future and spend more money. I know you suggested lesser products that would do what I need. I have a reduntant storage system and need 4 sata connections and the MB's I was looking at only had 2. I ahve never needed WiFi on my desltop in all the years I have built systems so I decuded to not go with WiFi. These are the product I plan to buy for my new system, I would appreciate if you could review them and let me know if any of them would conflit with my other hardware ie GPU, PSU etc. I believe I am getting everything I need AND more....... I appreciate you trying to save me money but that is not a concern at this point I just want to build a nice system.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09J1SD9J2/?coliid=I1QY4T81GHP1PE&colid=34RN7AOJ8GL8N&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FXKHN7M/?coliid=I3EBMIBN3RSZKC&colid=34RN7AOJ8GL8N&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NCNF2ZQ/?coliid=I2JMRSUOG3A88U&colid=34RN7AOJ8GL8N&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Well, first , I dont see a point in intentionally avoiding wi-fi, that makes no sense. L It doesn't hurt you one bit to have it, so I wouldn't make it a thought when selecting a board.

There isn't a 'conflict' no.

Parts look good. Mobo is on the budget side of things, and RAM is slow. For the latter, id look at a ddr5 6000 kit with cl/cas 30. If you're good with the mobo, it will do, but for a bit more I'd grab...msi z690 edge wifi or maybe Gigabyte Aero g.

Regarding your PSU, the CX series is kind of a budget model, plenty of power and I'm sure many of the units would run for over a decade trouble free. However I would advise replacing it if it is as old as the rest of the system (otherwise plan to run it for 5-7 years total imho). Many are comfortable pushing their power supplies and have great success, but as someone who seems very focused on a quality system that will excel for years to come, you may prefer to just get it out of the way.

I am pleased to see the price for DDR5 has come down so much. It does make more sense than DDR4 at that price.

What CPU cooler are you planning to use, I'm not sure that a 90mm fan cooler will be adequate (may be at stock, hopefully some others can advise), and can you get LGA1700 mounting hardware for it Will your case support a larger cooler?

Are you planning to use Windows 11? My understanding is that it is required to optimally utilize the P-core and E-core architecture of the Intel CPUs.

I also want to make sure you are aware, the K CPU is unlocked, allowing overclocking and a slightly higher boost clock. The non-K models also come with a HSF cooler, although not necessarily one that I would advise using. For the 12700 though, the KF seems to be the cheapest of them all. Also be aware that the F models do not have an integrated GPU. This shouldn't be a problem but should you desire one for troubleshooting or other uses in the future, it won't be there.

For some reason I can't seem to quote parts of the replies so I will use the name of the person who replied to answer or ask more questions.

EarthDog

I know you think and suggest getting a Wifi MB, if you can find one that has the slots and sata connections this one i picked out I would look at it and if the cost is in the same ball field I have no problem getting WifI. The reason I didn't go with it is If I lose my home Internet not only will I lose my desltop that is hardwaired but also the Wifi and since my desktop has nver use Wifi always hardwired I didn't see the need for WifI but like I said if you can find a Asus MB that has 4 sata connections and the same number of slots with Wifi I will get it.

Zerileous

So you are saying basiclly why not get a new PSU since I am getting all the new hardware listed. I can see yout point and will look in that. The colloer I have now is the Thermaright Ultima-90 I contacted Thermaright to see if they have mounting hardware for the MB I am getting and waiting to hear back. If not I can get their newer models of basiclly the same cooler for about $20 so no big deal.

Can you please send me a link to the memory you suggestes ( the faster one) I am loyal to brands so I want to stay witht he brands I chose but willing to look at the faster RAM. The CPU I listed above is unlocked.
Hope I answered all the concerns and sorry I had to post this way, no matter what I do I can pick out parts of replies and quote them. I will try to work on that.

Thanks for all your input

if you can find one that has the slots and sata connections
I suggested two already in the post above...are you stuck on asus?? The next asus board available I see on newegg is 300 and not worth the jump in price, IMO.

Not sure what board you were looking at but few only have two SATA ports... like cheap arse matx stuff is about the only thing, otherwise they all have 4-8 depending on the board.

Can you please send me a link to the memory you suggestes ( the faster one) I am loyal to brands so I want to stay witht he brands I chose
How about you list what brands you're loyal to and we can make suggestions at that point. Spitballing only to be shot down later because it's not a brand you're loyal to doesn't sound fun on this end (makes sense to be upfront about what brands youll get So all of our time isn't wasted)... lets do this efficiently. :)

Look up your brand and look up the speed and timings I listed in the capacity you need. I like GSkill, but I won't hesitate to use adata, patriot, Corsair, etc.

no matter what I do I can pick out parts of replies and quote them. I will try to work on that.
I would just highlight what you want to quote and click reply. It will drop the quote in the quick reply box or where your cursor is (if you're editing to add mkre quotes, for example).

See image below... this is EASY.

Screenshot_20230331_123302_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like the Ultima 90 can handle about 150W https://www.anandtech.com/show/2305/7 which should be fine under most use cases for the 12700kf, which can draw 190w under certain all core loads. As long as your comfortable with a slight potential ceiling on the all core power you should be okay to keep it or go with something similar.

I suggested two already in the post above...are you stuck on asus?? The next asus board available I see on newegg is 300 and not worth the jump in price, IMO.

Not sure what board you were looking at but few only have two SATA ports... like cheap arse matx stuff is about the only thing, otherwise they all have 4-8 depending on the board.
I didn't and don't see the 2 you suggested, yes I am STUCK on Asus, Intel for CPU and Corsair for memory. I Need 4 sata connection, most mB's I've seen only have 2 that is why I picked the one I listed the links above. As well as in the first few posts I said I wanted Asus and Intel.
It looks like the Ultima 90 can handle about 150W https://www.anandtech.com/show/2305/7 which should be fine under most use cases for the 12700kf, which can draw 190w under certain all core loads. As long as your comfortable with a slight potential ceiling on the all core power you should be okay to keep it or go with something similar.
I will just buy a new cooler from Thermaright for the CPU, I contacted them to make sure I can get one with the same size as possible I am close to it not fitting now and if it gets any taller I will run into issues.

I also want to make sure you are aware, the K CPU is unlocked, allowing overclocking and a slightly higher boost clock. The non-K models also come with a HSF cooler, although not necessarily one that I would advise using. For the 12700 though, the KF seems to be the cheapest of them all. Also be aware that the F models do not have an integrated GPU. This shouldn't be a problem but should you desire one for troubleshooting or other uses in the future, it won't be there.
The CPU I picked is unlocked and chose the less expensive 12th Gen since I am overkilling what I really need. hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your replies

Sorry bud, 70+ posts in, details tend to blend together. ;)

I didn't and don't see the 2 you suggested,
They aren't Asus, so, that ship has sailed, but it's up there in post #66. :)

I Need 4 sata connection, most mB's I've seen only have 2 that is why I picked the one I listed the links above.
I'm glad you passed on any two SATA port motherboards as those are likely just incredibly cheap things we wouldn't recommend in the first place. Again, any motherboard worth anything has four SATA ports. Two is really a rare thing overall.

I will just buy a new cooler from Thermaright for the CPU, I contacted them to make sure I can get one with the same size as possible I am close to it not fitting now and if it gets any taller I will run into issues.
What case do you have (Thermalright will probably ask that......)? Typically if you look at the website for the case, it lists critical specifications like that (max CPU height, max GPU length, etc). Armed with that information, you can check the Thermalright website for coolers that fit the socket (LGA1700) and one that fits inside your chassis.

I'm going to guess that you're only going to buy a Thermalright cooler?

What case do you have (Thermalright will probably ask that......)? Typically if you look at the website for the case, it lists critical specifications like that (max CPU height, max GPU length, etc). Armed with that information, you can check the Thermalright website for coolers that fit the socket (LGA1700) and one that fits inside your chassis.

I'm going to guess that you're only going to buy a Thermalright cooler?
I have the Corsair 540, yes I am going with Thermaright

I will buy a new cooler from Themaright that will handle the 12700KF since I don't over clock. I will just let the CPU adjust the power as needed. So just to clarify the links I posted above for the MB,CPU and menory everyone agrees they will work well together? I am going to look into a new PSU, Corsair so if anyone has sugeston on which one will be a good one ( don't need anything top of the line)

I have the Corsair 540, yes I am going with Thermaright
That case can hold some tall coolers. A quick trip to their site and the Air 540's spec page (love that case, btw.. owned one for years!) says it supports up to 170mm coolers.

Id rock this one (there's white, black, and metal) - https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-Ultra-120-EX-REV-4/dp/B0BGH179CW/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2T9FQYIPX9QH4

...it's 157mm tall.
Post magically merged:

Corsair so if anyone has sugeston on which one will be a good one ( don't need anything top of the line)
The CX-M PSUs were reviewed decently, so, I'd look at a CX-M 650W model. If you want something more efficient, you're going to have to pay for it.

Last edited:
That looks like a nice cooler but as I have said all along I am build a system that is overkill for what I need it for so spending 4160 for a cooler is abit much o_O
The CX-M PSUs were reviewed decently, so, I'd look at a CX-M 650W model.

Not sure if you noticed but I current have the CX 750 is the CX-M 650 a more power PSU?

That looks like a nice cooler but as I have said all along I am build a system that is overkill for what I need it for so spending 4160 for a cooler is abit much o_O
Wrong link or something... that's a $42.xx cooler. Quite reasonably priced. I'd be surprised if Thermalright comes back with something less expensive. We're just trying to let the CPU stretch it's legs a little bit too. There's also a noise consideration... it will spin up and could get noisey under load if it can't do the job as well as something better.

ot sure if you noticed but I current have the CX 750 is the CX-M 650 a more power PSU?
It's definitely less than what you currently have. I'd run your current system in signature on a quality 450W PSU, though, dude! You don't need 750W. A 12700KF (170W Peak) and your GT 1060 (120W) = ~300W. Add ~50-100W for everything else and you can see why a 650W feels more appropriate. That's right about the sweet spot for efficiency too. As I said, you can even upgrade that GPU to something more substantial if you ever need it (I'd rock a 250W+ GPU with that system any day).

It's definitely less than what you currently have. I'd run your current system in signature on a quality 450W PSU, though, dude! You don't need 750W. A 12700KF (170W Peak) and your GT 1060 (120W) = ~300W. Add ~50-100W for everything else and you can see why a 650W feels more appropriate. That's right about the sweet spot for efficiency too. As I said, you can even upgrade that GPU to something more substantial if you ever need it (I'd rock a 250W+ GPU with that system any day).
It makes no sense to me to buy a less powerful PSU and spend the money to do so when I already have a more powerful PSU????? why change it? As far as the link for the cooler being wrong I used the link you provided, are you saying that thermaright has that cooler on a wrong link?? the link for the

Thermalright Ultra 120 EX REV.4 Side Flow CPU Cooler, White is $159​

It makes no sense to me to buy a less powerful PSU and spend the money to do so when I already have a more powerful PSU????? why change it?
There's more to it than power... I just explained why you can easily use something less. We're buying an appropriately sized, higher-quality unit. Also, your CX has some miles on the odometer and it was never a high-quality unit to start with. It was suggested if you can, do. You can reuse the one you have too!!! It was simply a suggestion to upgrade to something better (which doesn't mean more wattage).

That said, ideally, you'd be in a Gold rated 650W PSU, like a Corsair RM650. This way, it's higher-quality unit, and more efficient.

As far as the link for the cooler being wrong I used the link you provided, are you saying that thermaright has that cooler on a wrong link?? the link for the

Thermalright Ultra 120 EX REV.4 Side Flow CPU Cooler, White is $159​

..................I, ME, EARTHDOG had the wrong link... you can find it for ~$42 if you look.............................. I'm mobile so you'll have to do that on your own.

There's more to it than power... I just explained why you can easily use something less. We're buying an appropriately sized, higher-quality unit. Also, your CX has some miles on the odometer and it was never a high-quality unit to start with. It was suggested if you can, do. You can reuse the one you have too!!! It was simply a suggestion to upgrade to something better (which doesn't mean more wattage).

That said, ideally, you'd be in a Gold rated 650W PSU, like a Corsair RM650. This way, it's higher-quality unit, and more efficient.
Thanks for the explaination it makes sense for the purpose but for my situation I will keep the current PSU. I'm spending more on the other parts becasuse I want a i7 rather than an i5 and the MB is more than I was thinking of spending so now it's time to save a bit. I will reseach the cooler and buy it. I plan to buy all the parts next week not sure when I will build it my wide has some medical things going on and I do too, don't want to start it and not finish. I know I can build the system in 2-6 hours taking my time and cleaing my case out before adding the new parts but installing Window 10 and all my software is not something I am looking forward to.

Thank you for all your help, even though we had a few miscues in the thread asbout what parts I was loyal to and which CPU I should get in the end I learnt a lot and feel I will have a good system for years to come. Hell I'm 66 so if this one lasts me another 5=6 years not sure what I will be doing at that age ...........LMAO Thanks again
Post magically merged:

How do I give reaction points?

I, ME, EARTHDOG had the wrong link... you can find it for ~$42 if you look.............................. I'm mobile so you'll have to do that on your own.
I will do my reseach and find the right cooler. I looked at a few but I think I have to keep in mind how much room I will have on the MB at the CPU socket, the MB has heatsinks on 3 sides of the CPU socket. I just checked my current cooler and it on the currnet MB just barely fits, in fact the fan is very close to my RAM and the fanon the cooler sits below the RAM on one side and on the other I have a little space but not much. I will have to get the MB, memory and see how much room I ahve for a cooler and then decide which cooler to get. The ones with 2 fans I think might be too wide???

I know you are on mobile so no need to reply right away but I would like to hear your thoughts about this.

Back