• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem With Game Freeze...Mem??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

falcx

I have Americas Army installed in my new setup but have been getting system freezes with it lately. The whole system locks up and I have to reset. I never had this probelm b4 with my older setup: P4 2.6C, Abit IC-7 mb. All other hardware stayed the same.

I tried an OS re-install, different chipset drivers, diff vid drivers,sound drivers, pci nic, onboard nic........all with the same result. Could try sound but who knows.

The last time it happened I got to play for about 45 min of the game and it froze, so I reset and the screen said system was in safe mode....f1 to continue.

So I continued and found the bios mem settings amongst others had been set to default.

I am running 4x512 OCZ platinum rev2.................I was running them at 2-2-2-5 timings at 200 mhz, ddr400. It defaults to a PC2500 setting.

ANY IDEAS ?? as I am stumped. Thx.

Temps for cpu and system have all been good..............cpu doesnt ever go over 40 and system is like 30 . Graphics card temp is fine too.

I just came off a 55 minute round of playing and didnt crash once.

I have a feeling it was my ram for when I ran a memtest I got 109 errors on test 8. What is the significance of that??

falcx said:
I have a feeling it was my ram for when I ran a memtest I got 109 errors on test 8. What is the significance of that??
If memetest gets errors, it means you have a problem. Mostlikely an unstable overclock (in terms of ram speed) or bad ram. Often times, things like OCZ ram are rated to run at higher voltages (ie they only achieve their rated speed at their rated voltage, which may be as high as 2.8-2.9v). Check the specs on your ram, and try backing it down to see if you can get memtest to run error-free for 24 hours.

With 4 sticks of ram, I believe you can only run PC3200 speeds if you use 2T..... are you? Do you get no crashes outside of games? Power supply's rails?

NO crashes outside of games. Here is what I have set my bios settings to:

Attachments

• Pictures 022.jpg
    Pictures 022.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 56
Well, try taking each stick out until you find the bad one then... but it could also be that your memory controller isn't perfectly stable with 4 sticks, and you might have to underclock it down to 166mhz (5:6).

that would suck to underclock

With these setings, I ran memetest for 3 hours and got the following:

Test5 228 errors
Test6 3 errors
Test7 34 errors

memtest shouldn't throw up any errors. What is your memeory voltage? Do the errors go away if you underclock? What if you only run with one stick?

We need to narrow down the problem.

Temps
Gaming: Cpu doesnt go over 40 C, System doesnt get over 32 C

Ran memtest again at DDR 333 2-2-2-5 settings @2.7VDimm..No errors

Try out each stick at DDR400, on it's own. If one is bad at those speeds, you've found your problem. If not, its probably your processor.

I reinserted the other 2x512 so theer was 4x512 total. I set fsb at 240 and cpu multiplier to 10, mem frq to auto, and timings at 2-3-3-6 and rebooted.

Screen showed ddr 400 and I booted up memtest..........ran all tests with no errors but when I exited, the cpu would hang on the Windows XP screen. I had to reset bios to get back into windows.

Back