• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why does ram go bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Wrench

Registered
I am just trying to figure out why my ram went bad. When I first got the ram ( Ballistix pc3200 2x512) is used memtest to find its peak fsb. I got it to go to 232 and 252. I lowered the speed to 203 @2,2,2,11(though it was fine @ 2,2,2,5) . It worked fine for over a year and then poof. Both sticks give errrors in memtest even when underclocked. One stick gives thousands of errors and the other gives about 50 per pass. Test 5.
Any insight as to why they went bad would help. Also What can I do with the bad sticks of ram, Or should they go in the trash?
Thanks

thanks for the quick responce. MBM5 seems to show constant voltages. The lines read +3.33,+5.13,+12.28,-12.11,-5.14 .

Is there a way to check the motherboard?

ram degrades as soon as its out of its package.. at what rate is up to the specific ram and environment. it happens !! maybe you can try upping your voltage or timings to find if it still gives errors... happy testing :D

Sometimes they are from a broken home and they start hanging out with the wrong crowd. Next thing you know they are smoking and drinking and chasing fast women. Yep, it's sad when RAM goes bad.

batboy said:
Sometimes they are from a broken home and they start hanging out with the wrong crowd. Next thing you know they are smoking and drinking and chasing fast women. Yep, it's sad when RAM goes bad.

LOL :D i hate bad ram :p

In response to this question...

"Also What can I do with the bad sticks of ram, Or should they go in the trash?"

Why not contact Crucial? They have lifetime warranties and I've known guys that have gotten replacement sticks from Crucial even when they weren't the original owners...it can't hurt to try. Since you basically ran the sticks at stock settings I don't think that you did anything to void the warranty.

batboy said:

ahhhh i needed that !!

always time for a good laugh !!

thanks batboy !!

Back