• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burn-in my memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guillaume

Is it worth doing it with my Mushkin Redline XP4000? If it is, how would you do it? I did the j17 mod on my DFI so that I can feed the RAM the 3.5V recommended by Mushkin (with active cooling).

Hello mate,

It is recommended that you burn in your Redlines. I'm quite sure you would see tangible results. There are several methods one could use. I would recommend the following (originally proposed by uwackme):

• 1. Set VDRAM to 3.3 or 3.4 V
    2. Select a frequency for which you get 10-20 memtest errors. This is your intermediate target frequency.
    3. Run test #5 for about 72 hrs. You should notice the average error count per pass dropping down (hopefully, you will see that over an extended period). Eventually, the errors should disappear.
    4. Bump up the VDRAM and burn it in at your original target frequency.

Good Luck!

S-N

You change the memory frequency in the BIOS. Go to "Genie Bios Settings"... you can change FSB in there, and you can go to "DRAM settings" to change the divider to what you want.

The best way to initially test your ram is to run it 1:1 with your FSB, so that you know exactly what mhz it's running at. To set 1:1 go to "DRAM Settings" in the "Genie BIOS Settings" section and set it to DDR400 (that's the 1:1 ratio).

To answer your 2nd question, test#5 is referring to memtest. You can enable the motherboard to run memtest in the "Genie Bios Settings" all the way to the bottom, I believe. Hit F10 and restart after you "Enable" memtest and you'll see it go to it. You can easily disable memtest going back into the bios and changing the setting for memtest to "Disable".

Good luck.

Hrm interesting, I'm assuming this works similarly to burning in the CPU (Starving it for volts, running the most stress possible aka Test#5).
I may try this with my Ballistix. Lower volts of course (Won't boot any higher than 3.0v lol).

IWasHungry said:
Hrm interesting, I'm assuming this works similarly to burning in the CPU (Starving it for volts, running the most stress possible aka Test#5).
I may try this with my Ballistix. Lower volts of course (Won't boot any higher than 3.0v lol).

Not really. This entails the beat and back-off technique (originally proposed by uwhackme of xtremesystems). The beating is forcing the RAM to run at high FSB on moderately high voltage. The back off occurs when Memtest pauses to calculate the errors. This, when repeated for about 48-72 hrs, mysteriously conditions the RAM towards optimal performance.

Back