• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

compaq memory upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

$o_dope

Registered
My aunt asked me, if I could install some memory for her pentium \\\ compaq[yuk]

1. Does it have to be compaq branded memory?

2. Any other things I should be aware of when opening up a compaq? [I have never messed w/a compaq before, always stucked w/ my chop shop puters]

does not have to be compaq brand RAM

thier is not room to play in a compaq....
so dont be supprised if you have to take the damb thing apart to put the ram in.

I have a Compaq, I just threw in 256MB of SDRAM. Try running SiSoftSandra on it so you can know what the max amount of memory that would be supported, also you can get PC133 in case you want to upgrade mobo's later.

Take the compaq and drop it off a building and then maybe you will be able to get into the case AND install ram without taking out the blasted PSU.

WyrmMaster said:
Take the compaq and drop it off a building and then maybe you will be able to get into the case AND install ram without taking out the blasted PSU.

weird, I can get into my compq, by removing 3 tiny bolts with a slot screwdriver, the side panel slides right off. I just leave it off now, or put it back with only one bolt. :D

You didnt state what model it is, but you may want to search the Compaq site first and look for known issues. The compaq I use to have had some weird things about it concerning ram. If you only wanted 2 sticks in it you have to use slots 1 and 3. I have heard a lot of people say that compaqs work best with compaq ram, but that is mostly dealing with servers, desktops are probably more forgiving. Good luck.

Really Gonzo? What model do you have, I have the 4880 (P//400MMX), I have found my memory benchmarks better with slots 2/3, just tried it and it worked. :D

I got 245/324 on SiSoft Sandra!!! (128MB x 2) PNY SDRAM (pc 133) My actual FSB is PC 100.

Last edited:
I have a 5610, or I should say had, the fan header died on the mobo and it wont boot without a fan. So now I have this complete computer (PII 350) minus a mobo. Im trying to decide if it is worth the money to buy a mobo for it or not.

Back