• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PQI Turbo series compatible with A64 Venice core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mjw21a

Guy's, I'm currently running 1x 512MB KingMAX DDR466 TinyBGA memory stick (from my old Athlon XP) in my new Athlon 64 3200+(Venice S939) system.

I'm also using the Asus A8V-E Deluxe mainboard. Since day 1 I've found this system freezes up as soon as there's no CPU load. If I'm playing games etc everythign works fine. As soon as it sits idle everything freezes.

I was wondering whether 1024 PQI PC3200 400MHz DDR Dual Channel Series (2X512MB) Turbo would be a good choice as an upgrade to go with the A64 as I've heard the memory controller is a little finicky.

Likewise, do you think my current KingMAX RAM is the likely source of my problems here? Is it also possible that my problem be caused by my only running 1x memory module in the socket 939 platform?

Sorry if these sound like stupid questions but I'm not at all familiar with the A64 platform yet. :rolleyes:

BTW, ignore my sig as that my old system (faulty MB, hence the upgrade)

Get some Crucial Balistix, Mushkin TCCD, OCZ TCCD, Patriot XBLK TCCD, or G.Skill TCCD goodness. All of the above will work very well in your system.

Moto7451 said:
Get some Crucial Balistix, Mushkin TCCD, OCZ TCCD, Patriot XBLK TCCD, or G.Skill TCCD goodness. All of the above will work very well in your system.

Of those brands you mentioned only OCZ is really available here in Australia. OCZ RAM costs more than 2x the price of PQI Turbo. I've heard some good things here about the PQI Turbo series but only from P4 users so far.

The PQI RAM fits my budget ($159 AUD). Does anyone know if it works well with the Athlon 64's?

I run PQI Turbo with my Venice and San Diego core chips. Mine are TCCD ICs though so I'm not sure If we're talking about the same thing.

I've had the same problem with pqi turbo. The ram, cheap as it is, doesn't overclock

Hmmm, I think the thing to accept is that while affordable they're not for the overclocker. Still seems like a good choice though.

Back