• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UnWanted Media Player

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eskimochaos

A while back, some movie site installed mediapipe downloader in my computer. After that some blond lady came up when i turned my computer on saying that I was legally obligated to pay. I tried to delete the files but I couldn't. I found some free software that deletes files on boot, called Remove on Boot, haven't seen the advertisement in a couple of weeks now so i assume it worked. What can they do if I deleted the files off my computer if they have my computer address?

Please do not post the same thread multiple times in multiple forums. Thank you.

nikhsub1

Last edited by a moderator:
You did not continue to use the software, you are not legally obligated to pay anything.

Can they do anything with my computer address though like get my address and bill me or something?

eskimochaos said:
Can they do anything with my computer address though like get my address and bill me or something?

That depends on how they wrote their software, but they cannot force you to pay when you cancel your contract. This is true, unless you actually signed a 1 yr contract or something.

What do you mean. All the files are off my computer, would they be able to get credit card information and my street address with my IP addresss?

If they have your ip, they can get the name of the owner of the ip. If your isp uses dhcp, it means your ip varies, so they'd probably only get back to the name of the isp. There is no database that allows one to retrieve your credit card information based on name, ip, ss number, or anything else. It is simply not available publicly.

It's possible they planted spyware on your pc that gathers info like cc #'s. That is illegal though, and if they used it, it would be cc fraud. Also, they can only gather what you enter into your computer.

I would run some spyware programs like spybot search and destroy and adware and see what they catch, and then remove it. Beyond that, I really wouldn't worry about it. It's likely some disreputable individual or company seeking gullible people that they can confuse/intimidate into giving them money. They're not likely to go after you for the cash, since they know what they are doing is illegal.

eskimochaos said:
What can they do if I deleted the files off my computer if they have my computer address?
What collective is being refered to by "they".

eskimochaos said:
A while back, some movie site installed mediapipe downloader in my computer. After that some blond lady came up when i turned my computer on saying that I was legally obligated to pay. I tried to delete the files but I couldn't. I found some free software that deletes files on boot, called Remove on Boot, haven't seen the advertisement in a couple of weeks now so i assume it worked. What can they do if I deleted the files off my computer if they have my computer address?

in the future please only make one thread about an idea...and :welcome:

Personally, it sounds like a scam. No legit site will let you download something you're supposed to pay for without having you pay for it first. I would use some spyware software to be sure everything was removed from my system and I would use Mailwasher Free to screen all of my email. If I received anything from them I would return it and it s as if you never received it. More advice, be more careful about what sites you visit and never download anything if you are not 100% certain it will not hurt your computer.

Back