• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water loss with no leak?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zargonog

Hey i recently got a WC system for christmas. Install went fine and runs perfectly, however i've noticed that my water level is dropping somewhat fast. when i first installed it i filled it up to the top. I hadnt noticed any difference until i moved back to school which involved moving my computer obviously, and this dropped the water level down to about 75% full. its been 2 weeks now and its continued to drop to about 40% now. I haven't seen any leaks or had any problems yet, so i'm a little confused about where this water is going. I heard that water evaporates, which is why you need to refill your system every 4-6 months, but i havent had this system for a month yet and im down to 40%. is there something abnormal about that or does it just depend on the set up?

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!! :D

What watercooling setup have you got? Are you 100% sure theres no leaks? If its the first time youve filled it its quite possible that there were air bubbles trapped in the radiator and blocks/pump when you first filled it that have been flushed through over time (rising to the highest point in the cooling loop) giving the impression of water loss when the system just wasnt full to begin with. Make sure you've got all the air around by rotating the case (with all seals closed) and seeing if any bubbles appear...then get them to the point where you can let the air out and put more water in - eventually the system will actually be full and the water loss should then only be slight over time - unless theres a leak ;)

Hey vrykyl
What you said reminded me something (though I'm not sure it could help zargonog)
When I laied my case on the side, I saw some air in the tubes, but I when I put it back in place, turned the pump on and openned the res, it was full and I couldn't add any water, it would just spill outside. I tried to put the pump on its back, but it didn't help.
Where did all the air go ?

I don't think you could lose 60% of your water in that short of a time without a leak. That is...unless you filled your setup with 60 percent air....Did you leak test without a reservoir cap on? You need to get that air outta there, and keep filling it up.

things that are possible but highly unlikely
your water is evaporating
your system had that much air in it
magic

thngs taht are possible and likely at the given rate you said you are loosing water.

your girlfriend dont like you on the computer all the time so she is sabotaging you

you have a leak

well theres definetally no leak. i tilted the system and resevior around after refilling it to try to get some air out. turned out i had some in my cpu block...
but since i refilled it i will just see if it was just a fluke when i first filled it up.

My dually does this too. No visible leaks, but the t-line drops 2 inches over 1-2 months. I figure either a little bit is evaporating out of the tubes where it's "clamped" with zip ties (maybe not the best solution?), or my rad has a small leak but evaporates the water off where I cannot see it. Either way, I just top off the t-line every so often.

Ditto, dually rig drops the T-line pretty fast. I thought it must be a leak at first, especially since I had leaks when first assembled, but I never found any evidence of another one. Of course, a T-line holds a lot less water than most res's do...

Rogue_weasel said:
Ditto, dually rig drops the T-line pretty fast. I thought it must be a leak at first, especially since I had leaks when first assembled, but I never found any evidence of another one. Of course, a T-line holds a lot less water than most res's do...

Where it goes will remain a mystery to me.... *makes note to refill again (gettin low...)*

Computers actually love water, we just haven't figured it out yet. Them acting like they "fried" in water is just a hoax. They actually drink quite a bit- so in all likely hood your PC is just drinking it :p

It is my understanding that water can slowly evaporate through the tubing.. at extremely slow rates (something like 1 mL per week) which just adds up.

Looking at my fillport I'd imagine it isnt a PERFECT seal. Which would of course allow tiny amounts of watervapor through... it could just be slow bleeding too, I mean when you first start bleeding a loop a fairly decent sized bubble being bled can drop your water level like 1/2". Maybe there are very few smaller bubbles escaping down the line or something..

lots of options :p could be one / some of them that attribute to this. Unless you are losing like an inch in water level in only a week I wouldnt worry too much.

I also lose about 1 inch of water, in my T line, every week. Has been doing this for 2 years now.

Most of my plumbing is PVC pipe, not tubing, but I do run small tubing lines to the water blocks, radiator bank, and the T line.

On another point, silicone tubing will evaporate LOT of water, right through the sides of the tubing. (I'm not using silicone any more, but still losing a bit every week.)

steve

it is vinyl, "I think!"

Silicone is REAL soft, almost like surgical rubber is.

steve

I seem to drop about an 1 or so a month in my rig as well. I use Dye Lite which glows under UV to show if I have any leaks, and no glowing yet cept in the tubing. I'm using MasterKleer and a fill port from DangerDen. I started thinknig maybe just maybe so air is getting in the fill port. So the other day I unhooked from the fill port and made a home made one and so far all is cool.

I have occasionally had to top off my res too. My understanding is that tubing is slightly hydroscopic. Over time it will lose water vapor. Vapor is no problem. Drips of course, are a problem.

Back