• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting rid of Windows log in.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stefong2

Registered
:) Hello this isn't a big problem but it's become annoying to me and would like to get rid of it. I have Windows XP Professional and ever since I messed around with my network settings for my broadband connection, before my desktop appears, a windows log in screen shows up and asks for a username and password. I'm the only user and thier are no other profiles. I've tried many things to get rid of it but nothing works and this stupid thing annoys me now. :bang head I don't need to type a passowrd or anything, I mean all I have to do is click OK and my desktop appears but I just want it to boot to windows when I turn on the power. I may have missed something in user profiles but I have no idea, and just wanted to know if anyone knows how to get rid of this thing. Like I said its not a big deal but I'd really appreciate it if someone who knows what to do could tell me, so I can be done with this annoyance... lol :)
Thanks alot in advance!

Start | Run | Type control userpasswords2, and click OK | On the "Users" tab, clear the "Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer" check box and then click OK | In the "Automatically Log On" dialog box that appears, type the user name and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you start your computer.

Windows XP will show the login screen if there is more than one user account on the computer. I think ASP.net or something like creats a hidden account, it is acessable via the user control panel. I have deleted it on other computers, havent had any problems.

redduc's solution is the one i use on my server that I control via remote desktop... you cant use remote desktop without a user that has a password, but if I cant log in, my wifi network wont connect.... so, useraccount with a pass auto logs in, I get my wifi connection and remote desktop access.

Thanks alot guys for helpin me out! i really appreciate it. It worked perfectly. :)

redduc900 said:
Start | Run | Type control userpasswords2, and click OK | On the "Users" tab, clear the "Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer" check box and then click OK | In the "Automatically Log On" dialog box that appears, type the user name and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you start your computer.
That's very cool, I didn't know about that. Just out of curiosity, is there another way to access those settings without using the run command?

Open My Documents (or any folder of your choosing ) | Right click in a blank area, and select New --> Shortcut | Type in control userpasswords2 | In the Next dialog box give it a name (ie Users) | Click Finish | Pin it to your Start Menu, drag it to Quick Launch Bar, copy it to your Desktop, etc.

You can also add it to the Control Panel with the following Registry edit...

Add ControlUserPasswords2 To Control Panel (Line 1)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

redduc900 said:

Good call. Learned that trick back when I took a 2000/2000 Server MCSE class. I'm pretty sure you can do that and some other things in the Group Policy Editor MMC snap-in.

Of course, if you want to access that, click "Start", "Run", type "gpedit.msc". Be careful of what you mess around with in here though.

Back