• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Set Your Calendars: Windows 12 is Coming in June 2024 with Arm Support and AI Features

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

I thought Windows 10 was supposed to be "the only/last windows we will ever need again"...

"Microsoft is preparing a big update for its Windows operating system. Currently at version 11, the company is gearing up for the launch of Windows 12, which is supposed to bring a monumental shift in the tectonic plates of the regular PC user experience. Enhanced by AI, the Windows 12 OS should utilize many features like generative AI, large language models, some GPT integration, and many other tools that could benefit AI, like photo editors. The confirmation for the Windows 12 launch coming in 2024 is sourced from the Taiwanese Commercial Times, which analyzed comments from Barry Lam, the founder and chairman of PC contract manufacturer Quanta, and Junsheng (Jason) Chen, the chairman and chief executive of Acer.

Both of them underscored the importance of AI and that AI PCs are coming with the next version of Windows. Supposedly, the launch date for Windows 12 is set for June 2024. In that timeframe, hardware vendors should roll out their SoCs embedding AI processing elements at every silicon block. Qualcomm is set to debut its Snapdragon Elite X SoCs in mid-2024, aligning with the alleged release schedule of Windows 12. With more players like NVIDIA, AMD, and others planning to utilize an Arm instruction set for their next-generation PC chips, we expect to see Windows 12 get full-fledged support for Arm ISA and treat it like a first-class citizen in the OS."

If true, I wonder what range of AI support there will be. In x86 land, NPUs are extremely rare. I think AMD have some Pro mobile CPUs with it, and Intel will have it in just over a week with Meteor Lake's release. We have older VNNI CPU instructions, as well as GPU functionality.

And just how much use will it be to users?

Will we see Win11-like launch again? That is, a notable downgrade in old features compared to its predecessor until they get caught up, with little to no 3rd party support for the new stuff. The few on the leading edge can work out the bugs in the new stuff. What can it do that we can't do now? Or maybe more to the point, do more easily? No, AI Bing wont sell it to me!

I might get it a year or more after release, assuming it will be a "free" transition for Win11.

Eventually they will move to a subscription only model for everything. I'm interested in how security and privacy will be affected.

They are already pushing subscriptions, and if you buy Windows, then you have to register it on an MS account. Maybe not a subscription for the OS, but everything around it. They are starting to force MS accounts everywhere. For example, if you don't have a PC in a domain, then basic things like Defender are hidden from the general menu or tray in the latest Win11 updates. It can be found, but the fact they did it suggests how they want to change the OS and other software access.

Yeah, how many more holes/back doors would we have to block or work around? Even Linux has Microsoft root certificates embedded with in due to Microsoft being a main member on their board.

I install my every Win11 as a local admin (domain user during the installation, and somehow it works without using a domain). Then I clean whatever I dislike, but every large update installs all the garbage again.
I also see that after some cumulative updates, the OS works worse or simply slower. I have to reinstall both my test rigs as the OS is acting weird or crashing in tests that I have been using for long months. Joe (EarthDog) said it helped him recently, but he had problems with other tests/games. About the same problems, just different tests.

hmm i wonder what the EOL for the final windows 11 "ver" will be
I'm just now working on replacement equipment for work and its all 11, i wonder if we should wait... if we can wait.

the laptops they have currently are failing and most are approaching 10 years old

edit:
Since this version has ARM support when is windows going to get LEG support?

Last edited:
edit:
Since this version has ARM support when is windows going to get LEG support?

First off... I was TOTALLY going to make that same joke. And I wouldn't have waited for the 9th post to do it!

If I had seen this post... I might not put it in the OP... but whoever commented on it first would've had that as my reply.

2nd... I've got my doubts about Windows 12 in June. Seems completely ridiculous to me. Microsoft never put out anything that fast.

I wonder if Win10/11 will be upgradeable to 12 or if they will force us to buy a "new" product. I know they already disabled upgrades for many Win10 keys (not all, but some versions) and all Win7/8/8.1.
I bet that new features will be available only on Win12 ... even though it could be possible on Win10/11.

They are already pushing subscriptions, and if you buy Windows, then you have to register it on an MS account. Maybe not a subscription for the OS, but everything around it. They are starting to force MS accounts everywhere. For example, if you don't have a PC in a domain, then basic things like Defender are hidden from the general menu or tray in the latest Win11 updates. It can be found, but the fact they did it suggests how they want to change the OS and other software access.
Like outlook and their cloud system. When you have the free version of outlook its great, but you are given an amount of time before you have to pay for it to get more space.

Back