• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I use any version of XP to reinstall windows onto a dell?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hambone0750

When reinstalling windows on to a dell does it matter what copy of windows you use. I.E. an oem disk with a dell provided key code?

Hambone0750 said:
When reinstalling windows on to a dell does it matter what copy of windows you use. I.E. an oem disk with a dell provided key code?
It shouldnt matter as long as its a retail disk. An OEM disk will only work for the system it came with.

SoBePmp said:
It shouldnt matter as long as its a retail disk. An OEM disk will only work for the system it came with.

Not quite correct. You will probably need an OEM CD, since the Dell is an OEM PC, it most likely has an OEM Serial. Any OEM CD should work, as long as it doesnt have the Serial automatically inserted during the install. (IE: a winnt.sif file in the i386 drectory, with the serial listed)

Let me correct my self as I had a misunderstanding what oem was. The xp disk I used was one that I purchsed from the university I attended.

Hambone0750 said:
Let me correct my self as I had a misunderstanding what oem was. The xp disk I used was one that I purchsed from the university I attended.
If that copy has been previously installed and activated you will have to call microsoft to get it reactivated.

Back