• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ramdrive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rawghz

Hello all, I'm new to this forum. I read a previous post on memory hdd. I found it very interesting and want to explore it more. I just ubgraded to kg7 w/ 1 gig of crucial ecc. I use xp pro for os. If anyone knows how to setup a ramdrive in xp any help would be greatly appriciated. And for the seti crunchers, would it be possible to run it strictly from a ramdrive. And would it crunch faster. Thanx in advance.

Firstly Welcome to The Forum. As a RAM drive is really a software problem, you might get more help in The Software and OS section of The Forum.
Personally I never found any advantage to using a RAM Drive for Seti crunching. We have a very keen team for Seti, and if you are not a Member take a look. We would be pleased to welcome you to that too.:)

Is creating a Ramdrive with Win XP the same as it is with previous versions of Windows or with Dos? If it is, then to create a ramdrive put the following in your config.sys file and reboot:

device=c:\windows\himem.sys
device=c:\windows\ramdrive.sys 2048 512 512 /e

That would create a 2 mb ramdrive. Change the 2048 to any number but it must be divisible by 24. Also, you lose everything when you reboot. (I assume WinXP has himem.sys and ramdrive.sys in the c:\windows directory, if it does not then you need to change the path accordingly, I wouldn't know because I've never used XP).

Well, Win98 dosen't have Ramdrive.sys.... At least for me....

Yes you can run SETI totaly off a RAM drive. It will increase your times slightly, but the only time that will be taken off is the time it takes to write to the HD. A couple of minutes at the most. Of course, if you stick SETI on a RAMDrive, then you can let your HD power down and save some electricity....

I use RamDisk98 to make a RAMDrive on my computer. I don't have the address, but if you look on Lycos or Yahoo, you should be able to find a link if you are still interested. BTW: They changed the version to something like RamDisk2K or something.... Try stuff like that if you can't find anything....

JigPu

Back