• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Must use CD to boot computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterG

Whenever I turn on my computer I get this SYSTEM BOOT ERROR, INSERT SYSTEM DISK message that will not go away. I figured out that if I then put in my Windows XP CD and reboot the machine, everything will be fine. The CD will get accessed and ask me if I want to boot from it, which I ignore. Then the computer boots into Windows just fine. It isn't a huge problem or anything, but it has just been getting really annoying. Ideas?

Have you made sure in the BIOS that it's scanning the CD-ROM, Hard Drive & Floppy to try and boot. If that's ok it sounds as if your BOOT RECORD is missing on the HDD it's self. I think you can go into the windows recovery console and FIXBOOT to repair the missing file.

I'll investigate both of those although I kind of think it is going to be something involving the boot record. I'll try the fixboot and see how that does. Thanks.

Interestingly enough, it seems like the problem has magically disappeared. I did turn off the Hard-Drive SMART monitoring capability though, but I can't image that was it. Oh well, doesn't really matter at this point anyway. Thanks for your help.

Back