• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making a Restore Disc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itshondo

Need advice on how to make a Windows XP Restore Disc-

I reinstalled Windows on a computer using it's COA (I don't have the original discs) and am looking for an application that will make a restore disc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

most ofthe restore disks ive ever used were ghost-made. i know you can make them with ghost, but as far as i know you need a few things...

a floppy drive on the computer you want to back up

a ghost server (seperate computer running the server software)

a floppy disk capable of booting the client and activating the network card (can be made with the server if you know your network card)

cd/dvd burner on the server (i think you have to use the server to make the restore disks)

if you arent on a laptop and happen to have a windows server you're in luck. course, ghost still costs way too much, but i think a cut down version can be had for less than $100

thanks- I looked at drive image as well as Ghost, was hoping I could find a freeware app.

You don't need all that stuff to use Ghost. I just imaged over 20 laptops using Ghost, none had a network connection. All that is required is a burner to make the image and an optical drive to load it to the PC.

DriveImage XML is free & will make & restore a backup in windows only. But, you still need an OS disc so that bartpebuilder (& the driveimage_xml plugin) can create a bootable disc with a gui for driveimagexml. I just downed the 3 files and did it. Took just under 30 minutes complete to backup my c drive using windows shadow copy (while playing some music). I normaly use acronis true image which takes about 5 minutes to restore or backup. However the bootdisc that pebuilder created worked perfect, listing all my drives with ease.

dixmlsetup.exe -windows backup/restore gui-sweet
pebuilder3110a.exe -still need OS disc
driveimage_xml.cab -plugin for pebuilder

Back