• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Deleting windows directory via recovery console?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crofty83

I recently installed Windows Vista on a 3rd partition. However now I want to remove it. I've tried deleting the e:\windows directory via the recovery console but all I get is an "access denied" error message. Am I doing something wrong?

try using Knoppix.

The attributes may be set on the directory to prevent deletion. You could try removing any system attributes or read only.

attrib -r -s

Well if you want to remove it anyway what about just formating the partition?

If Windows XP Disk Manager own't let you do it then you can always just boot the the CD and remove the partition from there.

I'd rather not format as I have some files on my HDD that are bigger than 4GB and this is my only NTFS partition.

Also downloaded Knoppix 4.0 and what a cool little CD although I couldn't fins the DVD version if you could point me in the right direction. Once booted into Knoppix tho it still wouldn't let me delete the windows folder as it say's certain files are in use?

Plus I booted into the recovery cosole again and tried to remove any attributes from the directory and it gave me the error unknown comman. I used 'attrib -r -s e:\windows' Is this correct?

Are the files you want to save on the same partition as Vista? If not then you can just format the Vista partition, and not lose any information from the others. If it is you can always just move them to another partition and then back again once finished.

I don't think that the attrib command is available from the recovery console. It is a very limited set of DOS that you get to basically move files around in case something damages important OS files. You could try using another boot disk that gives you all of the DOS commands, but I doubt you would have NTFS support.

Boot to the Recovery Console | Type Fixboot, and hit ENTER | Type Fixmbr (to reset the master boot record), and hit ENTER | Type exit (to exit the Recovery Console), hit ENTER and reboot.

To remove the extra OS entry in the boot.ini, either edit the boot.ini from within XP, or type Bootcfg from the Recovery Console... and remove the "Microsoft Windows Longhorn" entry | Format your Vista partition after backing up any needed files... like ErikD suggested. The reason you couldn't access the Windows install on the E: partition is because you need to change a particular Environment Rule beforehand... AllowAllPaths = FALSE needs to be changed to AllowAllPaths = TRUE using the SET command.

The only way I know of to do this is within the GUI... for XP Pro:

Control Panel | Admin Tools --> Local Security Policies | Security Settings | Local Policies | Security Options | Recovery Console | Allow floppy copy and access to all drives and folders (select Enable).

... and in the Home version, you'd need to edit the registry either using a Bart PE CD or from within the GUI:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows NT | CurrentVersion | Setup | RecoveryConsole

Change the Value Data of the SetCommand DWORD Value from 0 to 1... this is what it should look like after you change it:

SetCommand = 00000001
ErikD said:
I don't think that the attrib command is available from the recovery console.
Just to let you know, Attrib is an available command for the Recovery Console.

Last edited:
Right. I've formatted my e: drive but im still getting the Vista boot screen :( How do I get rid of the bloody thing. Its like a cockroach

You need to edit the boot.ini file on the C: drive. Easiest way is to login with an administrator account, and right click on My Computer. Choose properties, then Advanced tab, click the Settings button in Startup and Recovery, and remove the reference to Windows Vista.

I really don't understand why you started another thread on the same subject, instead of just continuing the thread you started here...

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=446451&highlight=vista

In your original thread, we told you how to remove the Vista/Longhorn entry using the BCDEdit tool to edit the boot menu... did you try it, and if so what were the results? If you had just continued on with the thread you originally started, we wouldn't be suggesting editing the Boot.ini. I personally forgot all about the BCDEdit tool since my last post in your original thread. I've never run Vista, and hence have never used the tool... I don't think many people have.

I do know it's run from the command line, and replaces the Bootcfg tool that XP uses to edit the Boot.ini. I'm not 100% sure whether it can be run from the command prompt within Windows, or if it needs to be run from the Recovery Console specifically.

Back