• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to build a Windows 11 USB installer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/clean-install-windows-11

Works! But one thing I would advise that the above instructions omit is to create the ISO building folder in the root directory of the system drive. Otherwise you may get the message when you try to execute the operation in command prompt, "Current directory contains spaces in the path. Please move or rename the directory to one not containing spaces."

I was able to install Windows 11 successfully on system that used a first gen ryzen 1600 CPU and an ASRock B350M Pro motherboard and an Nvidea GT 720 GPU. Technically, this system did not meet the stated requirements MS has recently put forth. It did not pass the Windows 11 readiness check.

However, when I tried to use the USB installer on a Pentium G4560/Asus Prime 250M A it would not install. But there was a workaround for that, too. After installing Windows 11 on the above Ryzen system I removed the drive and put it in the older Intel system and it booted into Windows 11. There were a couple of flags in device manager having to do with management engine and something else but they seemed to be of no consequence.

Thought some of you might like to play with this. I've seen some other hacks that allow you to circumvent the TPM2 and other Windows 11 unique hardware requirements. The beauty of this one is that it allows you to create an image that then can be hacked without needing to start with a qualifying machine.

i don't have TPM nor a supported CPU but managed to force install windows 11 anyway. ain't bad. ain't great. i want windows 7 back but.... unfortunately the lack of support for it tells me i need to move on...

i don't have TPM nor a supported CPU but managed to force install windows 11 anyway. ain't bad. ain't great. i want windows 7 back but.... unfortunately the lack of support for it tells me i need to move on...
Since I'm shuttered indoors by all the wet & freezing weather...my thoughts drifted to doing some updating and cleaning house(file sorting). My asrock79 rig was dual booting win7 & debian 10, I am replacing Debian with Manjaro and did an upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10. Manjaro has an issue starting the Lightdm(display manager), but I can use "startx" to get a graphical desktop. I made a Windows 11 usb installer, but for reasons unknown(plus vodka+club soda) I have yet to be successful. Good thing I have more patience than brains, I'll get it eventually. The Asrock 79 doesn't have the TPM, and it's running an Xeon e5 2650 (v1), so I'll have to do some research.

If you don't have TPM, you need to bypass the compatibility checks.

Make a Windows 10 bootable installer, BUT piggyback the Windows 11 installation files. It'll bootup and look like Windows 10 installer, but at the end of installation...you'll have a clean install of Windows 11.

I was starting from Windows 7, so I had to 'upgrade' install Windows 10 to get an activated license. Then from there 'upgrade' installed Windows 11 to get an activated license for that. Then a clean reinstall of Windows 11 to avoid breadcrumbs of previous OS.

Follow this for making a bootable:

Luckily I had 5,500 AOL 2.5 floppies to make the bootable.

Back