• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dilemma - WC'n Video Cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TreeNode

Hi everyone!

I want 2 video cards, the chipset, and a hard drive on one loop using a 1/2" ID barbs. But, the video card blocks must either be the Cool-Matic NV40s, which have 1/4" IDs, or the DD NV78s with 1/2" ID barbs. Unfortunatly, I don't think I'll be able to fit the NV78s in correctly since I have a sound card installed like this:

---Video Card------
---Empty PCI Slot--
---Sound Card-----
---Video Card------
---Empty PCI Slot--

The screws run through the blocks and into the PCI slot space above the bottom video card. So is it possible (and wise) to grind down the size of those screws so that I could fit my sound card into that slot? Basically, getting rid of the spring.

Here's a pic of blocks
Here's a pic of my motherboard

I guess the other option (the delimma) is to use 1/2" to 1/4" reducers when the loop reaches that spot in the loop and another reducer after leaving the video card blocks. If this is the better choice, should I use a Y-Fitting when I reach the video cards and another Y-Fitting (?) after the video cards?

Last edited:
You really don't want to go down to 1/4" blocks as the restriction is going to seriously hurt your performance.

Simple. Do like I did and put the sound card in the bottom pci slot. It will fit. You may have to replace the straight fitting on the bottom of the vga cooler.. but put a 90 on it and be done. Itll restrict flow a little but it will allow you to do it.

I'm a member at DangerDen forum and got this info directly from DD concerning the Asus A8N32-SLI and the SLI blocks issue.

"Best wait just a bit for our new mounting hardware for the GPUs, the current mounting hardware will cause you to loose both PCI slots between the GPU slots but our new mounting hardware will be much lower profile and will allow you to still use one of the two PCI slots;)"

-Dan Stephens

This email was from 1/24/06. DD is very aware of this issue and is doing their best to fix it. As far as I know right now they are working on the vendor to get the mirror finished backing plates.

I will update you guys as soon as I get more info. :)

No joke. That is good news. I wasnt aware of how thick these wb's are. Your correct. I'm wrong about the post I made. My measuring skills are slack now.. I'm getting old. Forgive me.

I talked with DangerDen directly and was told that there are different hold down thingies that can support the use of a PCI slot between the video cards on a A8N32-SLI Deluxe mobo, as well as any mobo with 2 PCI slots between the PCI-E slots. You have to call them directly to order them, here's a picture:

ss_holddown_600w.jpg

I know this is about video cards and clearance and such, but while we're at it...skip the hard drive block. It's not going to give you any gain at all, and you'll just add another big chunk of restriction to your setup.

Yup, I've already skipped on using the hard drive block since this post. I bought one of these instead:
http://www.hwextreme.com/reviews/coolers/coolermaster_cooldrive4/

edit: I've already realized that it'd be stupid to take apart my mobo's pipes stuff to try to water cool the chipset. So it's only going to be the CPU, Video Card, Video Card on the loop.

As for the block choices, I wanted to cool both card's GPU and memory with a 1/2" ID while allowing a PCI slot to be used between the cards. I doubt you can name one block that can do such a feat without custom orders or just grinding down the bolts yourself.

Back