• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I Crazy? Or.. might this work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OkydOky

I'm still debating doing this, and If I do.. It will have to wait untill I manage to save more money.. if I ever manage >.<

I am strongly Thinking of getting the Following:

2x Opteron 265 CPUs
1x Asus K8N-DL Motherboard.
2x 1gb (2x512) DDR ECC Reg. RAM
1x Geforce 7900GT (Or.. next Nvidia Card if it's out when I manage to get the cash)
2x Hard Drive ( in raid 0)
1x A Nice PSU
1x A DVD Burner.
1x A Floppy
1x Chaintech AV-710

So far.. Nothing's too Crazy...

The First Crazy thing: I want to Fit this all in an Antec Super LANBOY.
I will be Cutting out the HD rack.
I want to be able to carry this around somewhat.

The second Crazy thing, as you Might have Guessed:
I want it watercooled.

So I will be space limited, and want it internal. What I'm mostly Conserned about is if I will have enough Radiator surface to cool The Two CPUs and the GPU. Also Not Fully sure on the CPU blocks.

I was thinking of Getting:

2x MCW6002
1x DD Maze4 GPU Block
1x Laing D5
1x ThermoChill PA160

Is the Rad enough?
Should I get Two Storms instead?

Hummm, I highly doubt that you can fit a Dual CPU mobo, all the watercooling stuff in that little case :X...... With a bigger case, deff not crazy.

-aDaM^ said:
Hummm, I highly doubt that you can fit a Dual CPU mobo, all the watercooling stuff in that little case :X...... With a bigger case, deff not crazy.
The Asus K8N-DL (pics) is only very slightly bigger than an ATX Mobo. Not even an Inch longer.

It's 12" x 10.5" And normal ATX is 12" x 9.6".

Are you willing to mount the radiator outside the case? For cooling 2 CPU's and the GPU im thinking you'll need at least a 2x120mm radiator.

i had the lanboy before i stuff everything into a new case, but you could probably fit all that in there if you cut out the hdd rack. just cut the front grill out of the front, get two large shrouds and 2 powerful 120mm fans and youll be fine. i wouldnt go with two storms since it will be highly restrictive unless you have a more powerful pump. otherwise that rad will probably handle all your hardware.

Epox4life said:
Are you willing to mount the radiator outside the case?

I was thinking of mounting it where the current HD Rack is.. since I'll Remove it and Place the HDs highter up.. Prolly in Spare 5.25" Bays. With Thos Racks removed, There should be Place for The PE160.

Yea that radiator seems good might be enough... are you going to overclock at all?
Lol, look the lady is testing your radiator!
works%20044.jpg

I looked into it a little more, I think it is possible. Just get everything you want, and start placing everything in the case and figure out the best way to mount everything.

Epox4life said:
Yea that radiator seems really good might be enough... are you going to overclock at all?

Video card for sure.
Probably Not the CPU though, or at least not a while lot. I'll see how It goes. The problem with Dual CPU AMD Boards.. there arn't many Bios Overclocking Options.. and Will have to be done through software.. And the fact I'll prolly be running Linux.. will only complicate that :p

OkydOky said:
Video card for sure.
Probably Not the CPU though, or at least not a while lot. I'll see how It goes. The problem with Dual CPU AMD Boards.. there arn't many Bios Overclocking Options.. and Will have to be done through software.. And the fact I'll prolly be running Linux.. will only complicate that :p

Should be an interesting rig, you using it as a server?

-aDaM^ said:
Should be an interesting rig, you using it as a server?

Server... no.. more a worskation; I always Multitaskk.. and have a million Demanding programs running In background..

If I can afford it, I'll prolly Double my RAM.

I'm Aiming to be able to game (Yes, I can run the games I want on Linux: <3 wine ) with stuff in background..
+ seeing the looks on faces when I bring this monster at a LAN party :p

How are you going to run the loop? 1 or 2 loops? Like pump, Y splitter then 1 line to each CPU?

Epox4life said:
How are you going to run the loop? 1 or 2 loops? Like pump, Y splitter then 1 line to each CPU?

Probably Just in Series. The few pics of Watercooled Dual CPU rigs I have seen here, seemed to be this way..

Hmm.. I've simply been looking around a little for prices..

I can't find ANY place that sells the MCW6002, and ships it to canada.
All I can find is the APOGEE and Storm, And DD Blocks.

Should I try another block.. or..?

--

And Thanks Epox4life for that Link.

AZNBoiOnFIYA said:
go for the storm if you can afford it. if you get two then upgrade to an iwaki.
The Iwaki.. might be a little too much.. and where's best place or places to get em? -- I'd prefer something that runs on 12v :)
Apogee.. If my memory is correct.. it has.. some Issues.. correct?

The mp655 won't be Powerful enough for two storms and a maze4? :shrug:
Or any other block suggestions?

What I'd like is a great price/performance ratio :)

if not iwaki then maybe a mag5 or mag7, although the heat dump on those probably wont be worth it. i would look into the blueline or panworld equivalent of the iwaki's. imho id spend a little more money for an iwaki over the mp655, especially if you have three blocks in your loop.

The apogee blocks are the newer replacements for the 6002 blocks. If you are going to run dual cpus with a gpu and a d5, go with the apogees. They perform very very close to the storm and are a lot less restrictive. The quality issues were only at the initial release and seem to have been fixed.

Back