• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Loop Q : Pump as the highest part.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zx2Slow

Central Pennsylvania/Southern New Hampshire
I mounted my Swiftech MCP350 pump upside down on the top panel on my case, it is higher than any other component. Im running with a reservoir. I was wasnt thinking I was just moving components around to clean up cableing and hoses.

My current loop is :
Res->Pump->Rad->Cpu WB->Res

Anyway, as long as I keep the fluid level above both the taps in the reservoir will I be ok with it not draining and burning up my pump at startup, without air present at one of the taps It wont be able to drain out and the res should catch all air in the system.

Is there something im not seeing, am completely retarded for doing this?

I've found out that mounting a pump at the top of the case can be a major PITA to fill. I think the easiest thing will be to flip the case when you're filling it so that the res is the higest point in the system, and never lets the pump run dry. You'll also collect most of the air in the res that way too.

The way it is now I fill the reservoir and tip the case back 45* and it primes the pump and clears all the air out of the radiator and waterblock. It's easy compared to when I had the reservoir as the highest component. The reservoir catches all the air in the system in the same way koolance was with the reservoir in their PC600 series cases with the reservoir in the bottom of the case.

It seems to work very well, took me 2min to fill and bleed completely, I was suprised how easy it was and concerned about reading comments that the pump should be the lowest part. As far as I see as long as I keep the water level above the barbs in the reservoir any air in the system will be trapped in the reservoir.

yeah, filling the loop should be the hard part, once you get that done, it's pretty much smooth sailing (provided you have no leaks)

Back