• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"The disk is not formatted" - errors and stuff

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArBiTaL 24

There is no spoon
Recently my computer went down.. it bluescreened when I went to move the mouse (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL). I tried all the usuals, booting to safe mode, using the WinXP reinstall disk for repair, doing a disk scan.

Long story short, I couldn't get my main drive (80GB; I have a main 80GB one with Windows and files that I use a lot, and a 300GB "Backup" drive with all of my programs and whatnot on) to work, so I took it into the computer shop and they basically said it was screwed. When I tried to boot windows it just kept restarting and whenever I tried to access it (windows disk, second HD in another computer, plugging into another computer via USB) it would bluescreen.

I have baiscally resigned myself to a lost main drive (and a LOT of data and stuff that I was working on, and booking and confirmation and order numbers which I'm really ****ed about, but oh well..........). However, that isn't the only problem...

My backup drive (my secondary, the 300GB one) isn't working properly either. It gives the error "The disk in drive F is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" (See attatched error.jpg file). Obviously, since it contains about 200GBs of my data, the answer to that is a resounding "no".

I have tried to run scandisk on it (it closes the scandisk box but doesn't run the scan), and I have tried repairing using PartitionMagic 8 (it said there were too many errors). I tried to find some software to fix it but all I can come up with is "Hard drive mechanic gold", which is expensive and doesn't have a trial.

Basically, does anyone know what this problem is / might be, and how I can fix it? I assume that, since I can at least see the drive in windows, the data isn't lost and should be recoverable? So I need to know what the problem is, and how I can fix it. If you have any software recommendations for fixing it (preferably free, or with a trial so I can see if they can do anything about it), that's cool too.

Thanks a lot!

Edit:
Added "PM", the PartitionMagic main screen when viewing the drives, and "EIPM", the errors that it gives. If you click "Fix", it just keeps coming up with the same error for ages, and then says there are too many and quits.

Attachments

• error.JPG
    error.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 99
  • PM.JPG
    PM.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 97
  • EIPM.JPG
    EIPM.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 89
Open a command prompt (Start | Run | Type cmd, and click OK), and type chkdsk F: /r

... the /r switch locates bad sectors and recovers readable information, and is more comprehensive than the /f switch.

Sadly, I already tried that :( It said that the type is RAW and it doesn't support it *does it again and attatches a screenshot*.

The properties on the drive also say that it's RAW but in PartitionMagic it says that it's NTFS >_<

Attachments

• Ugh.JPG
    Ugh.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 214
That's the thing - I don't want to format. I know I can format if I need to - it asks me if I want to format (as stated in my first post). I have like 200GB of data on there and I want to recover it :(

Where are you accessing this drive from again?

Why? Well, let's say you have a drive with NO PROBLEMS (just for the heck of it) and you put in it an external drive enclosure and attach it with USB... oh, the drive enclosure is bad by the way... but not quite failed yet. Windows says it cannot read the drive... it isn't formatted... something is messed up... that is the key, something is messed up, and in this case it was the enclosure!

My point? Put it IN the other computer as a slave to the master (Windows) drive. Then tell me you are having issues. Right now it could be either the enclosure or the drive. It is a remote possibility that your drives have no problems, I know... but isn't it worth a try at least?

The drive is installed into my PC, I only used the enclosure in another PC to test it. It is on my secondary IDE channel with my DVD writer.

Luckily I managed to get Ontrack EasyRecovery, which recovered most of my files (seemingly) without problems, although a load did have read errors. PM now detects the drive as "BAD", and cannot format it, so I am currently trying in Windows (although it lists the drive as only 127GB, when it is 300).

I'll post again when I know what's going on :)

Hmm.. I have a new mobo recently, as my other one broke down. Is it likely to have broken down so fast?

Depends but if you get it fixed and keep having the problem then it could be the MOBO hell you could have had a larger peice of dust than normal carying a charge hit your board after being pulled through the fan ESD is a funny thing its like lightening but on a small scale and can be rather random.

Right, here we go:

I formatted my 300GB drive, but Windows will only pick it up as a 127GB drive:
(TooSmall.JPG)
PartitonMagic says that it's bad:
(PMBad.JPG)
And gives an error when I try to format it. I can format in Windows, but as I said, the drive is too small. Is it broken?

Attachments

• PMBad.JPG
    PMBad.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 79
  • TooSmall.JPG
    TooSmall.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 77
ArBiTaL 24 said:
Right, here we go:

I formatted my 300GB drive, but Windows will only pick it up as a 127GB drive:
(TooSmall.JPG)
PartitonMagic says that it's bad:
(PMBad.JPG)
And gives an error when I try to format it. I can format in Windows, but as I said, the drive is too small. Is it broken?
Do you have SP2? Windows pre-SP1 has a partition size limitation of ~127 GB.

Good point, I don't have SP1 or 2 installed yet. But still, partitionmagic says that the volume is "bad", which is didn't use to do. I don't want to put my recovered data back on there if it doesn't work :(

I just tried rebooting to format it, it said there was an invalid argument or parameter (Error 4).

The error it gives when I try to do it in windows it the same...

EDIT: I juust noticed, in that window it says "BADMBR". I couldn't access it from the windows disk to do do a repair thingy before, so how could I maybe fix the MBR now?

Attachments

• Oops.JPG
    Oops.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 192
What is the SMART status of this drive? You can download a utility from the manufacturer that should give you a report, or you can install Speedfan which should give you this information.

Have you tried the usual:

Swapping the drive cable
Using different configurations for master/slave/cable select (many WD drives that are alone on an IDE channel are supposed to be cable select - check the pdf manual)
Using a different channel

Right, I just installed SP1.
Windows can now see the drive as it's full size, but PM still says that it's correpted, and still cannot format it in PM (Although I can format it in Windows, which I'm doing now).

EasyRecovery had a SMART scanner, which didn't come back with any problems.

MadMan007 - Yes, yes, and yes. Setting it up in any other jumper configuration other than what it is currently (including setting master and slave manually) causes the BIOS to not recognise it o_O;

Attachments

• FixedButNotFixed.JPG
    FixedButNotFixed.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 186
> Blow the partition away via windows
> create the PM boot disk set
> boot the PC with the PM boot disks
> create your partition and format

I 'never' use PM thru windows - always the boot disks

1. What do you mean by "blow it away" - delete it in PM? FDISK? Something else?

2. I don't have a working floppy drive or diskettes :( I could go and get some, but.. is it guarenteed to work? I have tried formatting during bootup (it had to restart to format anyway, and tried to do it from DOS or whatever thing it boots to) and it gave an error, same as it did from within Windows.

the drive is more then likley just messed up. How long have you had it? Contact the Manufacturer and let them know what it is doing. Could be a problem they had with that HD. I have seen a few errors like this on Computers at work and we just end up sending them back. I dont know if i would even trust that disk if you do get it formated and working.

Back