• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OEM vs Retail?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiteSmoker17

what is the difference between OEM and Retail? As far as some of the features or enhancements? Is it any faster? I do see on newegg that the price is 138 vs 280...

The only difference is licencing issues and what you can do with it once you have it on a computer.

The main difference is that OEM is tied to the hardware you first put it on and it also must be sold with some type of hardware. They used to just throw a resistor something like that in the bag, but I heard that Microsoft was changing those rules. There are debates but it's usually assumed to be tied to the motherboard, so if you swap it, you need a new licence.

Retail is not tied to anything, and can be moved from computer to computer, if of course, you remove it from the previous machine. It's only a 1 computer licence.

Has MS ever enforced that OEM distinction in court in the US and won?

They did in Germany and lost on our highest court. Since then, you can pretty much doe with OEM what you do with retail. Only difference is support calls I think: none with OEM.

I think they did away with the hardware purchase requirement for buying oem. Legally, an OEM licence is tied to the first pc it is installed on. If that pc dies, the licence dies with it. Retail licences can be moved from 1 pc to another, as long as it is only installed on 1 at a time. Here at work, we always buy oem. I would probably buy oem at home too since it is cheaper.

dwschoon said:
I think they did away with the hardware purchase requirement for buying oem. Legally, an OEM licence is tied to the first pc it is installed on. If that pc dies, the licence dies with it. Retail licences can be moved from 1 pc to another, as long as it is only installed on 1 at a time. Here at work, we always buy oem. I would probably buy oem at home too since it is cheaper.

this is correct, but either the PC death=license death rule is not enforced, or they haven't defined PC death well. I've had one copy of OEM Windows XP that I've reinstalled on my PC since I got it, but "my PC" is a completely different beast since I purchased that copy (due to multiple 'deaths' for various reasons). I've talked with the MS people multiple times over the phone due to Windows activation, and the impression I got from one of the nicer ones was that as long as you're only using your license on one computer, everybody's happy. And that makes sense. On the business side, they don't want you to install your copy on two computers when they'd makes half as much money, and you should be entitled to keep using the software you purchased should some hardware break.

But to clearly answer the questions posted - OEM vs. Retail for windows and most (all?) hardware generally means less/no packaging and freebies, but an otherwise identical product. The CD that comes in a retail box is in no way different from an OEM CD (unless you get a DELL OEM or something that has extra "bonus offer" AOL links or the like on the desktop after a clean install). You're paying less on packaging and advertising - go for it ;).

kk that is what i was thinking but, with all the stuff microcrap is doing right now i wasnt sure. I was looking at newegg last night and i need to get a copy for one of my classes and saw the large price difference and got courious.

Chixofnix said:
this is correct, but either the PC death=license death rule is not enforced, or they haven't defined PC death well. I've had one copy of OEM Windows XP that I've reinstalled on my PC since I got it, but "my PC" is a completely different beast since I purchased that copy (due to multiple 'deaths' for various reasons). I've talked with the MS people multiple times over the phone due to Windows activation, and the impression I got from one of the nicer ones was that as long as you're only using your license on one computer, everybody's happy. And that makes sense. On the business side, they don't want you to install your copy on two computers when they'd makes half as much money, and you should be entitled to keep using the software you purchased should some hardware break.

But to clearly answer the questions posted - OEM vs. Retail for windows and most (all?) hardware generally means less/no packaging and freebies, but an otherwise identical product. The CD that comes in a retail box is in no way different from an OEM CD (unless you get a DELL OEM or something that has extra "bonus offer" AOL links or the like on the desktop after a clean install). You're paying less on packaging and advertising - go for it ;).

Im not saying that you cant use OEM on different machines, Im just saying that it isnt strictly "legal" to do so. I would probably buy OEM myself and not worry about the licencing issues with upgrades/new computers. Even here at my job, I would not hesitate to reuse an OEM licence if i was replacing a computer for some reason. I just wouldnt use it on more than 1 at the same time.

NiteSmoker17 said:
kk that is what i was thinking but, with all the stuff micro**** is doing right now i wasnt sure. I was looking at newegg last night and i need to get a copy for one of my classes and saw the large price difference and got courious.

there are definitely two mindsets regarding how much MS cares about us 'smallfries,' just like the mp3 downloading debate. Personally I fall under the 'paranoid' category when it comes to MS, but many of my friends are well aware of what MS says they can't do and do it anyway... they're not in jail yet anyway :).

Regarding your purchase, while I have bought tons of stuff from newegg for myself and others, I've never purchased windows from them... I think perhaps 7 or so copies of OEM windows have passed through my credit card bills, but I always seem to find the best deals outside of newegg... if you dig around a bit more you should be able to find an oem copy of xp home from someone else reputable for <100 USD ;)

Also one thing I noticed that wasn't mentioned, and I don't know if Microsoft is still doing this. When I first bought my OEM disc, there was no technical support for it. From what I have heard they would tell you to contact the vendor whom you got it from. Did this possibly change?

Chixofnix said:
... if you dig around a bit more you should be able to find an oem copy of xp home from someone else reputable for <100 USD ;)

No need to dig far.

deadlysyn said:
Also one thing I noticed that wasn't mentioned, and I don't know if Microsoft is still doing this. When I first bought my OEM disc, there was no technical support for it. From what I have heard they would tell you to contact the vendor whom you got it from. Did this possibly change?

System builders are responsible for technical support. And honestly, why on earth would anyone turn to Microsoft for support when vastly superior resources are available free of charge with immediate response times here on OC Forums? :beer:

hafa said:
And honestly, why on earth would anyone turn to Microsoft for support when vastly superior resources are available free of charge with immediate response times here on OC Forums? :beer:

Took the words right outta my mouth! ;)

Furthmore, who on Earth has ever gotten any support from MS that was worth a nickel? If you've had good support from microsoft, please list your name between the brackets below:

[]

:D

Back