• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 5800x vs. 5700x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yomama

I am looking to upgrade from my aging Ryzen 2700x rig but would like to continue using the Taichi Mobo and the 32GB RAM I invested in for another 2 or so years + a drop-in is far easier/cheaper than a whole new system. With the AM 5 platform taking over, and the 7000 line of processors coming down in price, the 5800x and 5700x have been on some pretty decent sales lately. I have been checking different sites and reviews, but I cannot make out what the practical difference is between the 5700x and the 5800x. What would justify the current $30 price difference (5700x($179, Newegg and Amazon) vs 5800x ($209, Newegg)? I mostly use the system for Desktop work, and occasionally I play games. Most sites state a processor performance difference of under 5%, which IMHO on the whole system is negligible. At the same time, the 5800x has higher power requirements (105W vs 65W). Someone, please enlighten me :) TIA

Sorry if this was asked before, I did a search, but came up empty.

The base clock speed is 300 MHz higher, and boost is 100 Mhz higher. Not much difference, as you know. THe 5700X was released a lot later so maybe it was better bined chips that could run lower and less power. Not entirely sure on that one.

The newer Zen 3 parts are cool and all.. but to me the older ones are better.. mainly because you can load up an older AGESA and get the max clocks from it with PBO. The newer AGESAs are pretty lame with older parts. Maybe not lame, just limited.

The newer Zen 3 parts are cool and all.. but to me the older ones are better.. mainly because you can load up an older AGESA and get the max clocks from it with PBO. The newer AGESAs are pretty lame with older parts. Maybe not lame, just limited.
Older overclocked CPUs are slower than new at stock, so I'm not so sure if older are better ... maybe more fun, but not really faster.

I just bought the 5700x and I choose it over the 5800x. For me, the spec that pushed me to the 5700x was the lower power usage. With a machine that runs 100% 24/7 and is my main gaming rig, the lower TDP of 65 watts is of value to me. The 5800x runs at 105 watts.

The 5700x was replaced by the 5800x.

Watch that wattage.. my 5600X is also 65w, PBO and boost override push that to about 130 under heavy load. I would imagine that to be higher with 8 cores.

Edit:

5800X3D says 105w on the box, but the CPU is capable of 143w PPT and that is a locked CPU.. my 5900X also says 105w on the box, but can do ~240w PPT.. package power is a bit higher.

Last edited:
I just bought the 5700x and I choose it over the 5800x. For me, the spec that pushed me to the 5700x was the lower power usage. With a machine that runs 100% 24/7 and is my main gaming rig, the lower TDP of 65 watts is of value to me. The 5800x runs at 105 watts.

The 5700x was replaced by the 5800x.
Thank you to everyone for their input. My thinking was exactly down this line, in that power consumption does matter. I just ordered the 5700x from Amazon

Watch that wattage.. my 5600X is also 65w, PBO and boost override push that to about 130 under heavy load. I would imagine that to be higher with 8 cores.

Edit:

5800X3D says 105w on the box, but the CPU is capable of 143w PPT and that is a locked CPU.. my 5900X also says 105w on the box, but can do ~240w PPT.. package power is a bit higher.
Still using a 5600X myself, will do so for a while longer aswell. Travelling to the Peg come June!

Back