• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Dell make anything at all?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I need to confirm that.

Do the computer retailers such as Dell manufacture anything at all?

I always thought they buy everything from other real manufacturers then put together as completed PC for sale. All they do was pretty much like most people here, and they making a profit off the labor fees.

Was I right or wrong?

Writting a paper here, need fast answer please lol.

You are right. I even think the Dell cases and mobos are produced by other companies. It is not that uncommon though, I mean alot of iPods are actually produced in other companies' factories.

Its really not that bad of a deal most of the time if you count up how many hours you spend choosing out your parts, the knowhow to choose those parts and assemble them, and just spending time looking around on forums like this.

nvidiaOCmaster said:
Foxconn makes dell motherboards, and they use genuine samsung ram and retail intel CPU's.

hmm if they use foxconn I'm suprised that they are not overclockable in the bios. I got a foxconn mobo in my acer computer and with a little bit of work was able to find the closest retail channel version and then flash the bios to that and then overclock.

dexwiz said:
Its really not that bad of a deal most of the time if you count up how many hours you spend choosing out your parts, the knowhow to choose those parts and assemble them, and just spending time looking around on forums like this.

Resaerching parts is half the fun!!:beer:

Dell has special BIOS written for their computers to help make them more "idiot proof". If you were to go to the foxconn site and DL the latest BIOS update for that specific chipset, you would have all of the nifty options.

soulfly1448 said:
Dell has special BIOS written for their computers to help make them more "idiot proof". If you were to go to the foxconn site and DL the latest BIOS update for that specific chipset, you would have all of the nifty options.

I was assuming that this aspect was infered in what I was saying but if it was not thanks for pointing it out.

I was just surprised that if dell does indeed use foxconn mobos why dont people here mention bios flashing as an option for dell computers? The only thing that I can think of is that dell is large enough to have the mobos that they use exclusive only to dell as their company is large enough to sway a company to make products only for them.

soulfly1448 said:
QFT. I'm pretty sure I heard Dell used Asus mobos.

A company like Dell looks at one thing: the bottom line. What that means is there is not likely to be one single supplier for any given part over the long haul short of things like Intel CPUs (duh.) They negotiate contracts with companies, probably by first putting out calls for 'x amount of whatever' and whoever comes up with the best price along with other terms like certain quality standards, replacement support and so on gets the contract. So in all likelihood they have used ASUS, Foxconn, and other OEM-made motherboards, same for most other components too.

Remember how many times over the past 3-4 years they supposedly were going to start using AMD CPUs? It was often seen as a ploy to continue getting great pricing on CPUs from Intel. I hardly think it was a coincidence that shortly after Intel changed their policy to non-preferential pricing that Dell started putting out AMD systems. (They don't look at it from a fanboy-ish perspective so please don't make that point in reply.)

BossBorot said:
with a little bit of work was able to find the closest retail channel version and then flash the bios to that.
How did you go about "find[ing] the closest retail channel" (Not quite sure what ismeant by "channel")?

Springbok said:
QFT. I'm pretty sure I heard Dell used Asus mobos.

EDIT: did some research, I was wrong, my bad.

You defenatly heard wrong. Its labled FOXCONN all over the motherboard and case.

I belive the reason people cant flash the bios is because they make it impossible to do so.

Last edited:
Dell source their parts from a variety of OEM's. Yes, I have seen ASUS boards on a Dell.
Lite-On make their PSU's (Lite-On make PSU's for Supermicro/Ablecom as well).

But we have to remember that Dell probably offer a razor thin budget for these parts, so they are not of the best quality. Good luck trying to do a heavy upgrade on your Dell, it would probably blow up the PSU.

Dell is not too bad if you are pressed for time. I must say that their customer service is second to none when it comes to replacing broken parts.

Ive seen all kinds of dell fatalities, PSU's taking out everything bring the most common, and overheating the second.

The only thing dell makes is trash that is only fun with a package of firecrackers.

Last edited:
Ascii2 said:
I really don't think Dell does much of overclocking.

lol obivousely.

I was talking about they do the same thing as people here building computers from parts.

Asus used to make Dell motherboards. I'm sure everyone gets a chance to bid on the contracts.

A long time ago you could often flash OEM boards with retail BIOSes (like the P3C-D) but that's pretty rare now.

Back