• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tube cleaning?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Antioch

Hey guys. I'm sure this is a problem we all deal with: cloudy, white residue forming on the inside of tubes when you use antifreeze (pentosin) mixed with water as your coolant.

I happen to have my rig taken apart now and I could clean the tubing out, but I'm wondering what I should use to clean it?

I was thinking of getting some vinegar, salt, and water and running it through the system for a little bit (and of course flushing it out thoroughly).

Is vinegar/salt ok for the rad and such?

Thanks.

You are prob not going to remove that film. This is why it is good to keep extra tubing on hand. I would just replace it as tubing is dirt cheap! If that is a no go then the mixture you have will suffice.

Salt and vinegar is safe to clean your rad and waterblock, as long as you flush it out thoroughly afterwards. Salt combines with the acetic acid in the vinegar to produce sodium acetate and hydrogen chloride. Hydrogen chloride is a strong acid and the combination of it and sodium acetate will eat away the oxidation on the surface of the copper to leave a pure metal surface(clean & shiny!).

As for your tubing... you might try soaking it in Limeaway, but I don't think you'll be able to get rid of that film easily. Best bet would be to get fresh tubin.

It's pretty simple to clean tubing with just dishwashing detergent and water. I used a square piece of cloth soaked in detergent with a string tied around the middle in order to pull the cloth though the tube. Attach a weight of some kind to the other end of the string to help thread the string through the tubing. While you're pulling the cloth through the tubing squeeze the tubing around the cloth for good contact.

This method worked for the white film that formed in my tubing, but I'm not using antifreeze. You could have a more serious problem.

Last edited:
No, it's not serious - it's normal. I had it in my other setup where I used antifreeze. This time I'm using pentosin for it's blue color. Anyways, it's normal. The film comes off if I rub it, but I can't rub the whole thing out (especially inside of the read and such). Plus, even with a wipe off the tubing still isn't as clear as it originally was. I guess new tubing is the only way to go for real clearness.

I read of people getting clouding using no antifreeze. No one as of yet has presented an adequate explanation of this problem. Pentosin is about the best at being slow to cloud out of antifreezes.

I have used a wire with a cloth and dishwashing liquid before to ram down the tubing which works fine. If you want really clear, either replace the tubing, or buy colored tubing and forget about it.

if you want to clean the inside of your tubing with the smallest hassle, go to a music (instruments) store and get a cleaning brush for a trumpet or any other similar instrument-find one that has the right brush size and length. 4 or 5 bucks and you can use it over and over.

Back