• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New hard drive. How to move system files (windows) to it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N-Bandit

Well I apologise for the title, but that was the best way to describe this in on line...

I know when you get a new HD most come with a program that will copy all the files off your current Main HD (normally C: ) on to the new HD, rather than having to go through the hassle of reinstalling Windows, patches, ALL your software ect... This is kinda what I want to do.

I re-built my system about two months ago. when I did it I took a shortcut that now is killing me. I used an older 20G HD as my main HD or C: and installed Windows to it.My other drive is a 80G that is partitioned into a 20G and a 60G ( E: and F:. some how my DVD-RW is D: ) well my C: turnd out is a 5400 rpm and is SLOW as all get out. I want to take it out of the system completely and use my E: as my system drive.

Is this possible? With out re-installying it? I know I cant just boot into DOS or something and copy everything from C: to E: and have it work, god knows that would be great...

One more thing that might make it more difficult was when I built my system I diddnt install any add on programs to the C:. they all are installed in F:\Programs. So if I do get the E: to become System I am going to have to re-install all them as well arent I?

Hmm... after typing this out, I think It will just be simpler to re-install.

Any thoughts? Adivise? No a new drive is NOT an option right now... Just had to buy a new motor for my car and just dont have any spare money right now.

A free method is to use DriveImage XML to make an image of your C drive. You will then need to format E: and restore that image to it. Shut down, remove the old C drive, then start the system. Your E: will now be the new system drive. However, it may still retain the E: designation. This is easily fixed within the registry though (Disk Manager will not let you change the drive letter designation of the system drive). Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\ and rename E: to C:. Just make sure there is only ONE C: listed! If there is already one there, rename it to Z: or another UNUSED drive letter!

If the F: somehow gets remapped, you can change it back in Disk Manager so that all your applications still work.

I know this isn't very detailed and may sound difficult, but it really isn't. I used this method just a few weeks ago to transfer my system partition to a new, larger drive. Took much less time than reinstalling.

well that diddnt work. backed it up, restored it to the Edrive, but it couldnt boot from it. It would get stuck at the login screen for Win XP. But I got the OK from my wife to get a cheap 80G HD tomorrow.

Your WD drives should have come with a copy of Datalifeguard Tools, which does exactly what you want. If it didn't download it from the WD site.

well like I stated in my first post it is not a new drive, just wanting to move my OS to a different partition on my existing drive eliminating a slow 5400rpm drive it resides on now.

BUT.... I downloaded the WD program you mentioned and it worked great. there were 3 files that it couldnt duplicate on the new location, but none of them were critical.

Thanks for the help guys, and Funzie yours was the solution to my issue. But I am still probably going to get the new drive soon, but now I can wait a paycheck or two and get the 250 or 300G that I want.

guess you missed where I stated that I did that and it worked at 7:43 huh? :) Just messing with you.

one was a Word document, my resume, One was a quarantine log from Norton AntiVirus, and I cant remember the third. Datalifeguard stated that it was not critical though, and so far it is running good. Programs load faster, and things just seem a bit zippier. Is it the 7200 rpm drive compared to the 5400rpm drive? or is it all in my mind..... Who cares, it works and I am happy. :)

yeah there is a definite increase in speed from a 7200 to a 5400. It will have a faster random access time which translates into a difference you can probably notice.

The reason it didn't work the first time is probably that the partition was not made active while most manufacturers software does this automatically.

nope. The partition was active. heck prior to attmpting it the first time I re-formatted just to make sure nothing was on it.

anyway it works now.

Back