• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why is adjusting fsb etc during windows a bad idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ppe1700

hi ...
just seen this and dont want a thread hijack:
Originally Posted by VincentP
Its a bad idea, take it from a engineering student, it will do more harm then the benefits you get from it. if ya want to change the fsb then go into your bios and keep restarting and repeating. Stop being lazy.

i have used clockgen to adjust fsb when windows is running so that i can up it or down the fsb so that the pc is barely stable for a cpu-burn in.

id rather not find out the hard way if someone knows?
cheers

ppe1700 said:
hi ...
just seen this and dont want a thread hijack:
Originally Posted by VincentP
Its a bad idea, take it from a engineering student, it will do more harm then the benefits you get from it. if ya want to change the fsb then go into your bios and keep restarting and repeating. Stop being lazy.

i have used clockgen to adjust fsb when windows is running so that i can up it or down the fsb so that the pc is barely stable for a cpu-burn in.

id rather not find out the hard way if someone knows?
cheers

ppe,

I think this is a recommendation directed mostly toward the inexperienced. An incorrect setting or a mistake while in Windows can corrupt files held in or accessed for RAM memory including system files. This can lead to overall operating system corruption with a need to reinstall it.

For those not experienced with overclocking, the safest way is to make adjustments in your BIOS, run Memtest from a boot disk or CD in DOS type mode as an initial check of your settings. This permits you to check them for errors without accessing your operating system directly.

The experienced guys don't necessarily need to do this, they know what they are doing.

I've always considered using Windows apps to find stable settings then setting them in the BIOS the best way.

However RT has a point, you risk the OS by doing it this way if you're inexperienced. However I usually reinstall every other month so I'm not that fussed :)

Clockwork_Apple said:
I've always considered using Windows apps to find stable settings then setting them in the BIOS the best way.

However RT has a point, you risk the OS by doing it this way if you're inexperienced. However I usually reinstall every other month so I'm not that fussed :)

Apple,

I hate reinstalling an OS! :D

Even when I had basicly no experience with overclocking I had no problems with OS corruption.

In my opinion, weather you change your settings from within windows or set them in the bios, the risk should be the same. It all comes down to weather they are stable, not where or how you set them. I find using clockgen/memset to be extremly convenient when you are walking the fine line of stability.

I can often find the point of instability and adjust the timings on the fly to figure out what exactly the board/memory is capable of. That not so easy to do if your adjusting on the bios level.

there is no risk of hardware damage from fiddling is there? an os can be re-loaded always but at 12am and you break something without a spare...

ppe1700 said:
there is no risk of hardware damage from fiddling is there? an os can be re-loaded always but at 12am and you break something without a spare...
Theres always a risk of hardware damage when you're overclocking.

The probability of anything bad happening is pretty low unless your start pushing unreasonable voltages.

ive got a car battery wired to my cpu, is this a bad thing then?

i have never found adjusting the clock rates inside the OS effective. the bloody thing crashes speratically while doing so. hell i often find i can get a better overclock using the bios anyway.

cheers for the advice you lot... ive also been told that more power = shorter life span?

Back