• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Issue? Memory_Management BSOD – Newbie HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

del2187

Registered
For starters I apologize if I am not posting this in the right area or fashion. I am new to the site and with that said new to the technical things I will be trying to explain.

I also apologize for the length in describing the issue, I wish I could be more succinct, just trying to be as descriptive as possible so hopefully someone can help!

First off, I had my PC built by IBuyPower in January, and paid a large price for it so I am sad that not even a year later I am having issues. Specs below:

CURRENT ISSUE: A couple of months ago I started getting a memory code error every once and a while from a hard start, that wouldn’t let me start. I didn’t think much of it since starting again usually worked, though I thought odd this would happen with a new PC. More recently I have had some crashes and on restart heard loud beeping noises when entering Windows, and then now starting to get BSOD for ‘Memory_Management’.

To my knowledge my computer isn’t/wasn’t overclocked, though it probably should be? And I’d like it to be, but right now I just want to make sure my RAM is working to not harm my computer and get it working best as possible with no issues.

Specs:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i9-10980XE Processor (18x 3.00GHz/24.75MB L3 Cache)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming II
Memory: 64 GB [16 GB x4] DDR4-3000 Memory Module - Corsair Vengeance LPX
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 0505, 12/17/2019

Although I ordered and paid for 64 GB [16 GB x4] DDR4-3000 Memory Module - Corsair Vengeance LPX, running CPU-Z tells me in fact I have installed (cmk32gx4m2b3200c16) VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16, which is a 32GB kit (2x16), and I guess they just used two of those to make my 64? I am upset about this as it sounds like that would not be best practice, and it’s not what I ordered, and sounds like doing that can cause issues sometime.

I have done some research on the internet, but don’t have a clue what I am trying to do or figure out, here is what I’ve done:

1) Used Windows Memory Diagnostic tool:
a. It popped up 2 errors for MemoryDiagnostics and says “The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer’s memory and detected hardware errors. To identify and repair these problems, contact the computer manufacturer.”
b. It also shows I have been having ‘Critical’ Kernal-Power events about not cleanly shutting down. This is at other times than when I get a BSOD as well, so odd.
2) Used MemTest86:
a. Shortly in many errors popped up, by about a half hour in was just above a thousand so stopped..
3) Downloaded and looked at CPU-Z
a. Not sure what to do with this? But it did let me know I have different RAM than I ordered.
4) Went into the BIOS and I believe verified that my RAM timings are what the Corsair website says they should be for the RAM that CPU-Z says I have. I don’t know if they did their own tweaking of the diagnostics or if they just Auto’d it all, or selected LPX and it did it?

The only conclusion I have come to is that it seems like I have bad RAM maybe? Or need a professional to go into my BIOS and adjust things around to make sure it all aligns and runs correct?

I have e-mailed IBuyPower as I am still under warranty but I do not know how they will go about trying to assist, and being that I am a bit clueless I was hoping to have some verified context from you experts as I navigate the conversation with them. I absolutely don’t want to risk me personally repackaging this expensive PC and shipping it back to them. That sounds extreme and I would worry to much about something getting broken.

I don’t want to pay someone local to do something and/or need to rebuy RAM on my own either because IBuyPower should be helping me. Also, I don’t want to do this if there is some reports I can run for someone or take screenshots and you all know 6 buttons I could click or things to change that would allow me to retest my memory through the above methods and see if fixed.

I AM AT A LOSS and very sad I am having this issue with a brand new PC I waited so long to be able to afford.

I thank anyone for any thoughts or suggestions in advance, I really need some guidance.

Regards

Easiest way to check ram is to take all of the sticks out except 1 and run a memory test. I’m not sure which ram slot would be the main slot, maybe check the motherboard manual if you have it or google the motherboard. If you check all 4 ram sticks individually it may point to a dodgy ram stick. The bad thing may be that all the ram sticks are fine and it’s one of the slots on the motherboard which would be much worse for you. But it’s under warranty so that’s ok.

But yeh, check all the ram sticks one by one in one slot on the motherboard and run a test. At least rules out the easiest thing or says one stick is bad and they hopefully can just swap it.

I don't know if that is the issue... but his BIOS is almost a year old and there are a couple newer promising stability updates... so it's worth a shot.

EDIT: I deleted where I thought the CPU wasn't supported with his bios... it was/is. :)

So update to the 0702 Bios? Do I just do the EZ way in the BIOS through internet? I have never updated before and don't want to mess something up. I think I have created a backup of 0505 on a flash drive to try and use BIOS Flashback if I need too but I don't know how to do that either..

Yep, to the latest version. How To is all in the manual. Super easy though! :thup:

I would do it from the BIOS and have the BIOS file on the USB stick. Internet will likely work too, but I just prefer to get the file myself (mobo website).

Okay, BIO updated, as I am working now I cannot commit to running the MemTest86 again as I did before, is there something else I can do in the background in Windows to start checking if that helped anything? Or do I need to just wait and re-run the MemTest86 and see if that still says errors?

Also, IBuyPower must have set up custom clocking, if that is what you would call it? Because now in CPU-Z it says I am running 15-15-15-36 whereas before the sticks were set to 16-18-18-36, I think it reverted the volts too and put everything to AUTO.

I guess first I need to find out if there are any errors with the sticks with new BIOS, but after that, I am assuming I am in over my head to customize all of those and try to make it run as efficient or overclocked as it should. I have looked through forums and posts on the web and it seems way technical.

How does one go about finding someone who overclocks as a business to help me do that with ram and CPU? Would that be worth what someone may charge, the way people talk about this over the internet makes it sound like it's a cinch to some.

Please post images of CPUz. Specifically the Memory tab and SPD tabs, please.

It's not worth paying for... it is easy these days. Literally setting a couple of things and playing with those settings. We'll work with you... :)

If you can that would be awesome and much appreciated! I feel like what I spent on this and what's under the hood is a fraction of what you all would do with it. Makes me wonder what I am missing out on for the price. I never knew the depth of overclocking and hope to learn more.

I believe I included the images below but I can't see them to verify. Keep in mind I still haven't run MemTest86 after the BIOS update.

Memory.JPG Speed.JPG

These days, not much. Both AMD and Intel do a pretty good job of getting the most out of the chip, really. In fact, on this CPU, you will lose some single threaded performance when overclocking to get all cores running faster... is that worth it? What do you do with this PC and that monster chip?

As far as the memory, it is rated at 3200MHz XMP. You're running the base/default JEDEC specs. In order to get your memory running the proper speed, you need to enable XMP.

I will go in and see about XMP on next reboot, though I thought it was enabled. Do I leave all as is and then just change overclock Tuner to XMP, then XMP to XMP DDR-3200 12-18-18-26, do I have to do anything with volts, BCLK frequency, DRAM frequency? Manually inputting the 16-18-18-36?

If not and XMP will reset all that back to what it likely was before you would suggest not trying to up them at all?

Also, regarding the PC at the base 3.0, it looks like people have pushed it to like 5.0, would it not be better regardless of what doing to try and say get to at least 4.0?

I mostly game, little editing, and often many things open at once for work and or if gaming and chrome open. Since I rarely upgrade I wanted to get as top of the line I could afford so I was not feeling behind already shortly after purchase, which I know to some extent is always the case anayway, but this is where I wanted to start with this new PC.

XMP should just be one option. Set XMP sets the XMP profile on the sticks... which as you can see in CPUz only one XMP profile.

Here is a good read..
https://www.anandtech.com/show/15039/the-intel-core-i9-10980xe-review

In short, these CPUs boost all cores to 3.8 Ghz, with boost of 2 cores to 4.6 and 4.8 GHz.

If gaming and a bit of editing was the major use, I would have went with a i9-10900K or AMD CPU. Faster clocks, and you don't need all those cores and threads. My 10980XE I have set at 4.5 GHz all cores and threads. I can use all cores and threads and that clockspeed doesn't hold me back in other things.

Interesting, definitely a lot to wrap my head around being new to this.

See below, is it simple to answer why I would want to stick with the 3.0 base frequency of the CPU instead of at least doing the Turbo at 4.6? Or even the Turbo max? Pretend I am 6, I promise I'm not don't worry, but you have to agree, from an outsider perspective it would seem more or higher mean's better and faster? Won't I be able to push games more and also get better framerates? Run more processes seamlessly, and if only doing a few things, isn't it an animal enough chip and RAM to not notice much a difference?

Sorry so ignorant!

The Core i9-10980XE is an 18-core processor that has a base frequency of 3.0 GHz (same as the 9980XE) and a turbo frequency of 4.6 GHz (+100 MHz higher than the 9980XE) and a turbo max frequency of 4.8 GHz (+100 MHz higher than 9980XE).

Gaming doesn’t load all cores evenly (a few games mite, but they are rare at the moment) so you would get better performance having 1-2 cores boosting up to 4.6 compared to overclocking all cores of the cpu at 4.5. It’s not much difference though so maybe you would want to Overclock. However if you make the cpu go faster it needs more power, more power = more heat. So you would more than likely need better cooling than you have. Unless it already has a decent cooler I would just leave it at stock.

Interesting, definitely a lot to wrap my head around being new to this.

See below, is it simple to answer why I would want to stick with the 3.0 base frequency of the CPU instead of at least doing the Turbo at 4.6? Or even the Turbo max? Pretend I am 6, I promise I'm not don't worry, but you have to agree, from an outsider perspective it would seem more or higher mean's better and faster? Won't I be able to push games more and also get better framerates? Run more processes seamlessly, and if only doing a few things, isn't it an animal enough chip and RAM to not notice much a difference?

Sorry so ignorant!

The Core i9-10980XE is an 18-core processor that has a base frequency of 3.0 GHz (same as the 9980XE) and a turbo frequency of 4.6 GHz (+100 MHz higher than the 9980XE) and a turbo max frequency of 4.8 GHz (+100 MHz higher than 9980XE).
These CPUs hardly ever run their base frequency. The run their all core or single/dual core boosts when loaded.

If it's not a complicated process I think I would like to try and clock all to 4.5 to see how that runs with all the different things I do, if it works that would be good, if not is it easy enough to revert back?

Here are my power and fan/cooling specs:

Power Supply:
850 Watt - Thermaltake Smart Series - 80 PLUS Bronze - Free Upgrade to Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W 80 PLUS Gold, Full Modular

Processor Cooling:
CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i PRO 240mm RGB Liquid CPU Cooling System

Case Fans:
3x [Silent] be quiet! Shadow Wings 2 120mm PWM White Fan

Advanced Build Options - Thermal Paste:
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste - Increase your cooling efficiency with upgraded thermal paste

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I was able to enable XMP to the first picture settings, and the next two are my new CPUz-

NewSettings.jpg Memory.JPG Spped.JPG

Back