• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to cut down (way down) Windows 2000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

schnikies79

I need to setup a computer as a print server, and this computer needs to run Hamachi. Hamachi has to have 2000/xp/2003/vista. This is going to be a headless box with two printers, a ink-jet epson and a samsung laser document center.

Anyway, I want to run windows 2000 and I want to strip it down to just run hamachi and connect to the net, nothing else. This is going to run on a seriously low low-spec machine (if possible) with little ram.

I've messed with nlite, but not with w2k. Any info or guides on how to strip it down to the bare necessities?

There isn't *that* much you can really do to strip win 2k. However, it doesn't really have to be all that fast and responsive for your needs, since you will not be directly using it.

This is a pretty decent guide on stripping some stuff out of win 2k.
http://www.nexle.dk/daniel/win2000-32mb/

You will probably need at least 32mb of ram though and a pentium 233 processor or thereabouts. Anything less and you probably can't do it. This is pushing the limits of windows 2K.

If you are using a seriously low spec machine and want a print server, you might want to look into a non-gui based print server, like something running linux or bsd. You could easily run a print server on a 386sx if you really wanted to.

I found a p3 550 with 256mb so I will be using that. I was originally going to use a p75 with 32mb ram but I there are no Linux drivers for the samsung. The machine has to be able to Hamachi.

Thanks for the msfn link.

Back